Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Year of the Tiger Antalya

This post was supposed to go up during Kid's Clothes Week but I didn't quite make it. I had all sorts of plans for what I was going to sew, but you know. Life happens. Or more like testing happens, ha ha ha! But hey, at least I managed to sew the pretty Antalya pattern by Kid Approved for Willow & Co!

I hesitated for the longest time about this pattern. It looked complicated. It has curves. And a difficult-looking button thing going on in the back (because you know I have an irrational fear of zippers). But the pattern said "confident beginner", and that decided me -- well, that and this pretty version by Maria of Fairies, Bubbles & Co.

I had been hoarding saving this pretty Cotton + Steel fabric I bought from Miss Matatabi, waiting for the perfect project. Francis doesn't seem to have it in the shop anymore, but there are lots of other really lovely fabrics!





I bought the fabric for a somewhat silly, sentimental reason. My daughter was born in the Year of the Tiger here in Japan, so I'd been looking for a cute tiger fabric, and when I saw this I had to have it (I'm still searching for a good dragon one for my younger daughter if anyone has any suggestions). She is also American because of me, and I liked that the matching fabric had the US states written on it. So it is a dress that addresses her Japanese side and her American side. Ha ha. See? Cheesy. I told you.



When I decided to make this pattern, I knew these would be the fabrics I'd use. And I meant it to be finished in time for KCW because I'd been dreaming of traveling back to the US for a visit. Is that too much of a stretch? No? Well, just humor me, okay? Thank you. The week is over anyway.

Maybe because I'd already sewn a few Ishi dresses by the time I started on the Antalya, but the curves didn't stress me out like I thought they would. What stumped me, though, was how I was supposed to sew the dart at the bottom of the button placket. Now that I've done it, it makes total sense, but I think I was just having one of those moments. I'd call it a "baby brain" moment, but my youngest is already two and a half, so I don't think I can get away with that anymore. Anyway, I first asked Maria for some help, completely forgetting that she had done a pretty exposed zipper. She was very kind about it, thankfully! And then Olga stepped in to rescue me in my confusion. (By the way, if you haven't joined the Willow & Co Facebook group, I recommend it. They're really helpful!)

So I managed to do it! But then...I got lazy (are you starting to notice a recurring theme in my posts?) and didn't sew down the button loops. Uh...yeah. See that pulling thing happening? Well, it's worse towards the top. Okay. Stop looking at it.

You might be wondering why my buttons are two different colors. I didn't have any buttons I liked to hand, and I really wanted her to wear the dress. Now this is one instance where you can't really get away with wearing the garment with no buttons on it, so I had to make do with these. Please don't judge. I'll get more appropriate ones later. I promise. Really. 

People, some words of advice. Follow the instructions. Sorry, Olga. I'll fix that.

But anyway, I love this dress, and my daughter loves her "Ear of the Tiger" dress, too. It was so hard to get a good picture because she kept jumping around in it. I only managed to get this halfway decent one.



If you're thinking it looks a bit big on her, you're right. I have this bad habit of making and buying clothes a size (or two) too big because I want her to wear it for longer than a season. I don't know what my problem is, because I know my younger one will be wearing the clothes, too.

Judging from how big I was expecting it to be on her, I'd say the fit is great. I know, I know. How can you take the word of someone who makes all her children's clothes too big? Well, because I'm telling you I made them too big. On purpose. That's why.

But when you make it, I highly recommend you follow the instructions and make the correct size for your child. Because it looks much nicer that way. That's what my friend Sawako keeps telling me. And I try to listen to her -- most of the time -- because the clothes she makes for her daughter always look wonderful.

Happy sewing!
Emi 


4 comments:

  1. I love How you chose the fabrics : not cheesy : meaningful ! I don't think it looks bad on her : not too big for me. And you know, as my husband says: Sven you put so much effort in a dress you want your kids to enjoy it for more than one season !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophie - you are so sweet! And I love that your husband says that! He's so supportive ;)

      Delete
  2. I love it, Emi! The fabric choice is great and meaningful, not cheesy at all! I think it fits her great, a bit roomy, but doesn't look bad at all. :) thanky ou for making my pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga! I'm so glad you like it. I am definitely making her another -- but in the correct size this time! I think she needs a "cold weather" version ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik