Thursday, June 18, 2015

Around the World Blog Hop


Hi! Emi here. I was invited by the super talented and very funny Andreia of In a Manner of Sewing to participate in this blog hop. I had so many doubts. First of all, I don't (erm, didn't) have a blog! Even if I had one, people would probably find it boring! I thought. But I didn't want to let her down, and even if only a few good friends read it (if that, ha ha!), what better reason to start? I'd been chatting with Jen and Tina about starting one together, and my sewing friends were so supportive, how could I say no?? Okay, here goes.

What am I working on?
I’m doing some pattern testing, which I only recently got into (and loving it). Posts to come! I'm also constantly adding to my daughters’s wardrobes. I’m hoping to be able to make everything they wear, except maybe socks and sweaters. I envy and admire people who can knit, but I don’t think I will ever learn. I don’t really enjoy hand-sewing (shhhh! don’t tell!), so knitting is out of the question for me.

How does my work differ from others in its genre?
I’m not sure that it really does. I started learning to sew with Japanese patterns, so that is probably my greatest influence, though I can't say it sets me apart. I have found that though I am a fan of flutter sleeves and ribbons (and pink!), I also love clean lines and simple silhouettes.
I guess I really love polka dots, too, ha ha!


Why do I create what I do?
I became interested in sewing in junior high - not that I did anything about it, really. The first thing I made was a sweatshirt - though I have no recollection of how I made it. The only thing I remember doing was going to pick out the pattern and choosing the fabric! 

My mother was trained as a seamstress and made most of our clothes when my sister and I were little. I think she even made a few Mommy & Me type outfits. Aaaaand they might have included some crazy bell bottoms, but I’m not going to post any pictures of those. Hey, it was the 70s. I’m just sayin’.

So why didn’t I learn to sew until just a couple of years ago? Good question. I think I was just preoccupied with other things in my life. It was one of those things on my “someday” list. And then I had kids. Girls. I love children's clothes, and girls clothes in particular. But it wasn’t until I saw a picture of a cute repurposed dress on Facebook that I decided to learn to sew. Properly. I contacted the woman who made it, and she agreed to give me a few lessons. She is incredibly talented, and I am so happy to have met her.

I made quite a few of these tops in the beginning.
I love Japanese sewing patterns! So many cute things.
The first pair of pants I ever made!
I repurposed my daughter's
Aden + Anais swaddle to make pants.
















How does my creative process work?
When I started sewing two years ago (oh wait, is it now almost three??), I just wanted to make dresses, dresses, and more dresses. Plus, I was intimidated by pants. I didn’t know much about the online sewing community or sewing blogs, and so just relied on a few pattern books and ready-to-wear for inspiration.


But then…but then! I discovered a world of talented people creating amazing things. I also joined Instagram (here), and I finally learned how hashtags work, ha! I have been lucky enough to "meet" some fabulous and supportive women through testing as well, and chatting with them has been so inspiring.

With that, I would like to leave it to my antipodean friend, Jenya, of While she was sleeping, and the sweet Caroline of Lovely Cousette in France to continue the tour!

15 comments:

  1. Ohh Emi so glad you decided to accept my challenge! Yeahh! Following already! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andreia, you're an inspiration!! Thank you ❤️

      Delete
  2. Yay Emi! I should post something soon too but I have nothing on my list of things I'm currently making. I'm glad I get to share the blog space with you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Jen! I'm happy to be sharing this space with you too! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. So good to "see" you here :-) I'm glad you decided to start the blog, your creations deserve their own space and I always love to know more about all the creative process :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! I love seeing all of the beautiful things you make as well :)

      Delete
  4. Happy to be a blog follower! I love Japanese girl clothes patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am a big fan of your blog, so I hope you don't mind that I put it in my favorite reads ;)

      Delete
  5. Dear Emi, You know how happy I am for this blog to come live!! Finally! :) Your creations are too good not to be seen by the whole world outside IG. :) Thank you for taking this step. Now I hope you find some time to upload some of your previous makings - because I've seen how amazing they are! And can't wait to meet Jen and Tina! (Hi Ladies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and thank you so much for including my little blog on your "favorite reads". You are too sweet, my friend. <3

      Delete
    2. Sara, you have been so kind and encouraging from the start!! And I have long loved and followed your wonderful blog <3
      And don't worry, I'll be uploading some of my previous makes as I go along (I think they will make for a good laugh; lots of "don't do this!" and "this should make you feel better about your sewing" type of things happened while I was sewing, ha ha....)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sara! Look forward to "meeting" you as well. I am no where NEAR the level that Jen, Emi and anyone who blogs about sewing are at(!), but will trudge on continually inspired by all the beautiful and creative endeavors in the world!

      Delete
    4. Thank you Sara! Look forward to "meeting" you as well. I am no where NEAR the level that Jen, Emi and anyone who blogs about sewing are at(!), but will trudge on continually inspired by all the beautiful and creative endeavors in the world!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so very much for nominating me Emi :) I just recently realised I have participated in this awesome blog hop :O I guess it's been a big year!!! If anyone is interested, this is a link to my post with the answers to the questions :) http://whileshesleeping.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/around-world-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenya -- and sorry to double-tag you!! ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik