Monday, June 22, 2015

Emi's Co-blogger Friend, Jen


Hi, I'm Jen. I'm one-third of this blogging trio. Unlike Emi, I don't really sew on a regular basis so I don't have as many sewing projects as her. Also, I'm not as skilled a sewer (sewist?) as Emi either since I sew without patterns and I make things up as I go but I use whatever technique it takes to get the results I want. So please excuse me for the roughly made projects I'll probably share. I also do more photography and various art stuff so I may end up posting a few of those projects too. Oh and since Emi sent me the list of questions she answered, I should probably answer them as a way to get myself started with the blog too...


What am I working on?
I'm not working on any sewing projects right now. I collect a lot of fabric with the intention of sewing clothes for my kids but I haven't actually gotten around to printing out patterns and cutting out the fabric to start any of these projects. I do have plans to get started on the Betty bowler bag by Swoon sewing patterns but I want to make sure I have all the necessary supplies before getting started.

How does my work differ from others in its genre?
I don't really know how to answer this question actually, haha! I look at a lot of different sewing projects for inspiration on the things I work on. So my work is really a combination of things that other people have made. I love sewing bags too so a lot of the bags I made are from patterns that other people created.

The top I made inspired by Anna's coronation dress.        A twirl dress inspired by Elsa's dress.

Why do I create what I do?
I sew things when I can't find the things I want in stores or if the things I am imagining don't exist in the market. I usually just find bits and pieces of patterns and pre-existing clothing and combine and alter them so that they closely resemble what I had in mind. I sew bags and pouches because, well, I'm a bag addict. Plus, who doesn't need more pouches to hold knick knacks and whatnots in your everyday bag?

The very first bag I made. Pattern by u-handbag.Floor cushions. I used the instructions from livingwithpunks.com


How does my creative process work?
Honestly, I do things very randomly. I usually get an idea in my head of what I would like to make, then I make sketches of these ideas so I know roughly what I should look for. Then I start googling and going through pinterest to find the styles I want. Afterwards, I piece the bits of information I find together and pretty much just start cutting and sewing things together until they fit. In a way, the things I make are a bit like fabric frankensteins because I usually don't know how it turns out until I sew the pieces together. The seam ripper is my best friend because I'm constantly taking things apart and recutting or adding pieces to things. It does get frustrating sometimes to work so experimentally but I do enjoy the process even though it's very messy and chaotic to others.

So that's pretty much me in a nutshell! I guess I'm suppose to tag someone? I'm not sure of the rules of the blog hop....but then again, I share the blog with Emi and she already tagged someone so I'll just not tag anyone.

Hopefully, you'll get to meet Tina sometime soon. She's also really creative and has made a lot of cool stuff for her daughter :)

- Jen


5 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! Glad to meet you!
    The Betty bowler is already on my to-sew list! Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I'm actually a bit intimidated by the Betty bowler so hopefully I'll get the courage to make it!

      Delete
  2. Yay, Jen! I love what you make and am so happy to be sharing this space with you (thank you for setting it up!). And stop it with the "not as skilled" business -- look at the bags and pillows you've made! And the costumes WITH NO PATTERN. That is something I aspire to one day, but for now I definitely need a pattern to start! Maybe you can teach me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you're talking about, Emi! You are always making things and your sewing techniques are so good! I can always hide mistakes in the things I make because no one has to wear them out in public unlike the cool stuff you make!

      Delete
  3. Lovely to meet you! Can't wait to see more of your Frankenstein creations! :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik