Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Time for School Capsule: Dresses

So. Dresses. I wanted to choose items that I felt were in line with the "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" Back to School theme while still being "practical" enough for a kindergartener -- meaning not too short that it looks like I forgot to put pants on her, and not too long that she's tripping over herself when she pretends to be a horse, galloping around on all fours. (Oh, did I just say that?) My daughter plays in dresses all the time (usually with leggings in the winter and shorts underneath during the summer) and they are my favorite items to make, so it was a no-brainer to start planning her autumn wardrobe with dresses.



I narrowed things down to my top four choices. The first is by Mouse House Creations:


The Norah Dress. So classic, right? I like that it's a quick sew and has that cute collar. A perfect first day of school dress. I don't think I will go for the long sleeves, though. I might make a cardigan to go with it. Hmmmm. Maybe.

I am also in love with all the patterns from Straight Grain. In fact, I own them all, ha ha! The Hanami Dress is a favorite in our house. It's one that my daughter reaches for over and over. I think I've made about 3 or 4 of them. Here is one. And another. Oh, and one more here. She's growing out of them now, so they are going to her little sister. I'll definitely make another one for the capsule. Aren't these versions from the website so sweet?



I also have a lot of love for Straight Grain's latest patterns, the Ishi and the Jaanu, but since I've already made about 3 Ishis (here, here, and here), I am going to work on the Jaanu. You might have seen my WIP here. This picture is also from the Straight Grain website:

Seriously, I love everything about these two dresses. Genius. And oh! What's that on Norah's hand? Is that the evil eye? Wow, I only just noticed that now. 

And the last one that I have my eye on is technically not a dress, but a playsuit, which I may change into a dress if I can figure it out, ha ha. The Petal Fold Playsuit. So chic, so modern! Check out the website for the entire S/S15 Fold Collection: Madeit Patterns. I mean, LOOK at those pleats!!!


What's on your capsule list? Please leave a comment and let me know! Or better yet, join the sew-a-long on Facebook here. If you're on Instagram, you can use the hashtag #TFScapsule. Thanks for visiting :)

Emi

2 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!!! I love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a hard time sticking to my list, though. I keep wanting to add more....

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik