Thursday, August 20, 2015

Jennuine Design Moto Jacket Pattern Tour

Not too long ago, I was given the opportunity to test Jennuine Design's Moto Jacket. It's a really cool motorcycle style jacket for girls and boys, ages 2T - 12 years old. There's an asymmetrical zip (and an accompanying video tutorial on how to shorten the zipper here), shawl collar, knit sleeves, and welt pockets.


For the main part of the jacket, it is recommended you use a heavyweight woven fabric. For my tester version, I used wool that my MIL gave me on our last visit. The collar, sleeves, and welts were made using leftover rib knit from when I (unsuccessfully) attempted to make a t-shirt long, long ago.


Don't mind that I sewed the welts in wrong, ahem.  I realized a bit too late that they were in the wrong way but was too lazy to redo it (never fear - that part of the instructions have been fixed!). If you don't look too closely, I think it's all right. Plus, I figured my daughter wouldn't be using them so it would be all right. Phew!

Look at that -- lining!! I honestly wasn't ready to line a jacket (still recovering from the Aberdeen Jacket, maybe, ha ha ha!), but the instructions make it really easy. I promise! Come on, I must be the laziest sewist ever, and if I managed to do it, so can you. ;)

You might not be able to tell from this picture, but it was a bit short, even for a cropped style, but Jenn took care of that!


I really like this test version. I think the colors go really well with denim, too. Gotta love little kids wearing jeans. She's wearing the Morocco Pants I posted here.

Another thing I love about this pattern is how you can upcycle your knits for the sleeves and the collar. For my next version, I used an old velour skirt that I had worn as a child for the sleeves. It seemed to go pretty well with the cute canvas "shoes" print fabric, which I bought locally here in Tokyo. I had originally intended to use the fabric for a kindergarten "indoor shoes bag" for my older daughter, but it was calling out to be made into this jacket, ha ha. Don't worry, I made some cute "Frozen" themed bags for my daughter instead.

And speaking of my older daughter, as soon as she saw the cute jackets I'd made for my little one, she started demanding a jacket, too.

Her: "Mommy, I'm so COLD! I need a jacket!"
Me: "It's the middle of summer. You don't need anything. I make you so many clothes as it is."
Her: "But if you turn on the air, it might be cold, and I need a jacket! Please?"
Sigh.

Well, she got her wish. I know. I'm such a sucker.



I purchased all of the fabrics for this jacket from Miss Matatabi (I'm not affiliated with the shop -  I just love it and her customer service is second to none). The main fabric for the jacket (sadly no longer available) is a cute canvas fabric with metallic gold accents. The terry knit that I used for the collar is also metallic (I don't think it's in stock, but this is similar). If I'd thought about it, I might have used it for the sleeves as well, but I'd already sewn the sleeves with a pretty pink quilted knit (I don't see the color I bought, but there is a similar pink here) before I cut the collar.

I let my daughter choose the zipper, since she usually likes to choose the buttons for her outfits and there were no buttons this time. The colors are kind of all over the place, but I like to think they are all in the same color family, ha ha.

Rest assured I sewed the welts in correctly this time! 

You can purchase the pattern here. And don't forget to use the code MotoTour for 25% off the entire shop! There's also a big giveaway as part of the tour, so go check it out on the Jennuine Design website here.


You should see the other cool jackets on the rest of the tour!


Come join the Jennuine Design Facebook group to see what's new, what others are making, and to share your makes. Happy sewing!

Emi

10 comments:

  1. They look all really cool, but I'm a cat lover so I guess it's not hard to guess which one is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista!! I am quite partial to it, myself. ;)

      Delete
  2. Such a cool jacket! The cats fabric is sooo cute! Amazing as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana <3 I'm really glad now that I saved the cats for something as cool as this jacket!

      Delete
  3. These are all amazing! I love the details on the cat jacket, and the shoes are so cute! These are such great unique jackets. I bet they will be making people jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I'm really loving your amazing version. Way too cool!

      Delete
  4. Ohh, you're amazing! They all look great, I LOVE that shoe print! So fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to fall when they can actually wear the jackets ;)

      Delete
  5. Ooh the kitties! My daughter would probably sleep in that jacket! I must get some of that fabric. Great sewing on all the jackets - even if the welts were backward at first, they still look good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany!! The cats fabric is definitely a hit over here. And ha ha, yes, the welts...at least I got them right in the end :D

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik