Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Back to School Capsule: Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I love musicals. The cheeseball in me would listen to them pretty much all the time -- if my family would tolerate it. This capsule collection (and I use the phrase loosely) was inspired by a musical that I only discovered after I became an adult. I am an unabashed Francophile and I love Catherine Deneuve's style -- most especially her style in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. With that in mind, I tried putting together my daughter's kindergarten capsule loosely based on the looks and color scheme in the movie.


My daughter attends a kindergarten where uniforms are required, so this is actually more of a fantasy capsule than something really meant for school, hence the title. But then again, she runs around in these clothes all the time, so they are kindergartener tested.

First up is the Aster Cardigan by LBG Studio paired with the Clover Shorts by Mouse House Creations. Both are from the Willow & Co. collection, which you can purchase here. Under the cardigan, she is wearing the Amour Top from Filles A Maman. 



I cannot tell you how much I love all three items (I probably say that every time I sew something new, but it's true -- each time!). My daughter spotted the cardigan and insisted on wearing it right away, despite the 31C weather. I made it using a soft and lovely knit fabric (the cream is sold out, but she still has the grey here) from Miss Matatabi. So stretchy and I love how it's really like a sweater.

And the shorts! They are so cute and have the greatest details. I love the front pleats so much! I want to make a trouser-length version next, but right now it's still too hot to think about trousers. You can see more detail in this pic:


Here my daughter paired it with the Pleat Fold Top from Madeit Patterns. Notice the fabric I used for the pockets on the shorts? You got it. My favorite sparkly fabric from Cotton + Steel.


The Amour Top by Filles a Maman is something I have been wanting to make ever since I first laid eyes on it, and I finally got around to making it. I made this one using some Art Gallery fabric and used a different binding than what was recommended so that the brown bias would show. I thought it added a little something. I plan to make one in voile for the spring. They pair excellently with the Clemence shorts, which I have made as well (my WIP here). She loves those, too, and they work perfectly under her school uniform dress.

Next up is the Norah Dress from Mouse House Creations. I actually started with this dress when creating the collection. It seems so "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" to me. The fabric is again from Miss Matatabi.


It wouldn't be a musical without some twirly dresses from Straight Grain, right? Well, even though I made these a while ago, I thought they went perfectly with the singing/dancing/twirling theme, ha ha. An's dresses lend themselves perfectly to that feeling of elegance with a touch of whimsy. I think the Hanami Dress is still one of my all-time favorites.



Here she is playing "dress up lady" wearing the Jaanu. I made it bigger because I wanted to make sure she'd be able to wear it next spring/summer as well. I think it would look great with the Aster Cardigan over it, don't you?


I also made a dress from Hey June's awesome Hatteras Hoodie pattern. It went through quite a few iterations (you can see them on my IG feed herehere, here and here), but I am happy with this version. I am still tweaking another one. Even though this is a red dress, I thought Genevieve might still wear it. Again, it would look cute with the Aster Cardigan, right?


This is the original pattern (worn with the Morocco Shorts from Petit a Petit and Family):


I've made no secret of the fact that I love the patterns from Petit a Petit, and I love the latest pattern, the Goodall Cardigan. Celina is offering the pattern for free if you join the Facebook group. It's a great pattern and I've made one for both daughters so far.

My daughter chose this outfit herself (the cardigan is worn with the Petal Fold Culottes from Madeit Patterns), proclaiming it "perfect for school". Hm. Well, as long as she's comfortable in it and happy.



Another favorite in our house is the (not just a) Paneled Sunsuit pattern from Call Ajaire. Seriously, this is one amazing pattern! I recently made the long-sleeved version with the trousers in a pink corduroy, which I think goes quite well with the pinks and blues in this capsule. Now all she needs to complete this "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" capsule is a great trench coat -- it's a pattern that I have been wanting for a long time. (Ajaire, I'm looking at you....)


And finally -- finally!! This fabulous pattern from Filles a Maman!! It hasn't been released yet, but I received special permission from Mel to show you. I am so excited about it. It's the Petit Oiseau Top paired with the Poppy's Peplum leggings. I know, I know. Perfect for school, right? That is, if "school" were really a carnival. Ha ha ha! It's a musical, people. Come on, sing with me! Or not.



The pattern will be coming very soon, so keep an eye out and join the FAM Facebook group!

Thank you for having me on the tour, Melissa! It's been a blast seeing everyone's wonderful capsules. And best of all, there's a giveaway with amazing prizes!



Enter here:

Time For School Capsule Giveaway

Be sure to check out everyone's looks on the tour!
Intro: Rebel & Malice
Titchy Threads Patterns: Paisley Roots - Knot Sew Normal - Handmade Boy
Willow & Co Patterns: Lady & The Gents - Just Add Fabric - Lisalisa Designs
End of Tour & Giveaway: Rebel & Malice

Thanks for visiting!!

22 comments:

  1. This is so amazing Emi! Beautiful job. I love the fabrics and patterns and all the little details. It is perfect for a whimsical school girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for having me on the tour, Melissa! I had so much fun sewing everything, and it's been really inspiring seeing everyone's capsules.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including the Paneled Sunsuit top in this collection :) And oh no that new top from Filles a Maman looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do a capsule without the Paneled Sunsuit, Ajaire!! And thanks - I love that new top from FAM!

      Delete
  3. No wonder why she loves that cardigan!!! it is precious. I love your capsule, it has fun, variety and beautiful pieces! very nice work Emi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Maria! It was great fun putting it all together :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vanessa! Glad you like it :)

      Delete
  5. awe I love your style and all the colors and mix and match. Thanks for sharing my cardi and shorts! You are the best. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celina! You know what I huge fan I am of your patterns -- I just want to spread the word, heh heh <3

      Delete
  6. Emi Emi Emi! What a stunning collection! So many of my favorite fabrics and patterns. And everything looks so perfect! I'm blown away most by your Jaanu; such a great fabric choice... xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, An!!! <3 That means so much coming from you! The Hanami still holds a special place in my heart, but I love the Jaanu too. I really want to make more for this coming season!

      Delete
  7. Love this collection and that movie! Do I need to muslin my aster for the baby? I'm running out of time before family pics. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is right on the cusp of 4/5 in most patterns, so I went with the larger size and was really happy with the fit (particularly because I want to layer it for the fall). Not sure if that really helps you! But it is a pretty quick and satisfying sew <3

      Delete
  8. Amazing wardrobe for Autumn!! Love it all, but must confess that the Aster cardigan and the Amour top are specially cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! They are very sweet, aren't they? My daughter loves them, too!

      Delete
  9. Emi, you have done it again - fabulous garments, great patterns and fabric choices. I bet your girls are best dressed ladies at kinder :) I too wanted to make a pant version of the Clover shorts last year... until my daughter declared she hated pants :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're too kind, Jenya! And that's too bad about the Clover shorts -- there is still time, though! And in the meantime, you can continue making lovely day & night dresses ;)

      Delete
  10. I am in LOVE! I can't decide which i like more... they are all fabulous! I am going to go share the link on my Facebook page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing, Hayley! I am totally in love with the Clover Shorts pattern and foresee many more in my daughters' future. And the Norah....well, that one was the one I based this whole capsule idea on <3

      Delete
  11. Ah Emi... I love everything... You are fabulous !

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik