Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Remix the Stitch: Greenwood Tank Top

I am so happy to be part of the tour celebrating Kimberly's one-year anniversary since releasing her first pattern. I was lucky enough to test for her a while back, and was so impressed by the whole process. She is a real pro, and such a lovely and friendly person. I usually sew for my children -- you can see some of my other makes on Instagram (I'm @e_shimokawa here) -- so it really takes something special for me to make the time to sew for myself. And let me tell you, the Greenwood Tank is that something special.


I love this pattern so much that I really didn't want to change anything about it except to make it into a dress. I did make a dress (A-line), but let me get to that some other time.

The version I think of as my "wake up, buttercup" tank (okay, I'm not very imaginative, please bear with me) -- was actually my husband's idea. He suggested that I change the front to add a button placket, and I was all, "What? I don't know how to do that! You want me to add what??" (Incidentally, are any of your partners as opinionated and pushy interested in fashion as mine is? I guess I should be grateful, lol.)


First, I made a muslin using two back pieces using this fabric from the Japanese online store Rick Rack because I screwed up and cut the wrong piece I thought the higher neckline would look cute with a collar, which *ahem* I didn't end up adding. I may still do that sometime. I guess you can't see it too well in this picture. What you don't see is that I forgot to account for the fabric that would get used up in the placket, and it ended up being rather tight in the stomach area. Still wearable, but not quite what I wanted. You can get a better view of the (unfinished) placket here.


Next, I made one with the proper front piece using a really lightweight modal knit that I bought here from the same shop, and made it into an A-line shape, but the placket was too long and looked funny. Of course I didn't manage to get a decent picture of that either, sorry! Trust me. It's not quite right, but the fabric is sooooo soft and comfy. I used the rest of the fabric I bought to make myself a nightgown using the Greenwood pattern because it's just that soft. I didn't get a pic, but I don't think anyone wants to see me in my sleepwear, ha ha.


Third time's a charm, right? Well, I'm pretty happy with the result, though my husband said that he would have preferred a straight tank and not the A-line shape that I went with. (He also told me very kindly while taking pictures that I needed to move my arms away from my body because otherwise they were looking "too big." Thanks, hubs. Always thinking about making me look good, ha ha ha!) I said that I like how the shape covers my bottom, which is just that bit wider since having two children. So there.


The flutter sleeve version is one I have been wanting to make ever since I tested this pattern. I have a favorite tank top that I bought years ago and always regretted not getting two. Well, now I can sew myself one, yipee!! So I tried to recreate it, stripes and all. It was a bit frustrating trying to get all the stripes to match up, but I think I did all right, despite my whining on Instagram about it.


You may have noticed the bunching at the bottom (or, if you didn't, I'm sure you did now). I wanted the tank really long. I am so tired of bending over or crouching down to pick up toys talk to my children and having my underwear showing.

This is the one I bought:

Pretty close, right?


Okay, two more pictures and that's it, I promise! I just want you to admire the buttons. They might not look it, but they are pretty overpriced fancy. My husband (aka "the stylist") wanted to get them. My daughter liked them so much that she asked to try on her "new dress" as soon as she spotted my Greenwood.


She was pretty disappointed to learn that it was a top for Mommy. Maybe some other time. Don't go feeling sorry for her - she's got tons of clothes already!!

Okay, now for the fun part!

Kimberly is doing a big giveaway on her blog on Friday the 18th with some amazing prizes from the pattern and fabric world. Here is the link to the giveaway!

Be sure to check out the other fabulous bloggers on this tour. There are lots and lots of inspiring remixes!!

Tuesday, September 8th: Meg Cookin' and Craftin' | Jennifer Ginger Peach Studio
Wednesday, September 9th: Ajaire Call Ajaire | Heidi Handmade Frenzy | Stacey Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy Crafts
Thursday, September 10th: Melissa Rebel & Malice | Annika Nรคh-Connection | Abby Sew Much Ado
Friday, September 11th: Katie It's Hard to Hear Up Here | Jane Buzzmills | Lisa Mabey She Made It
Saturday, September 12th: Allie Indiesew | Jess If Only They Would Nap
Monday, September 14th: Jaime Made By Jaime | Lauren BASTE + GATHER | Sara Made by Sara
Tuesday, September 15th: Audrey Skirt Fixation | Teri Fa Sew La | Hayley Welcome to the Mouse House
Wednesday, September 16th: Emi Just Add Fabric | Rachael Imagine Gnats | Teresa Dandelion Drift
Thursday, September 17th: Kaysie | KZJO'STUDIO | Stephanie Swoodson Says
Friday, September 18th: Andreia In a Manner of Sewing | Nienke Pienkel

Thanks for visiting!!

18 comments:

  1. I loved both versions, but I must confess that my favourite is the flutter sleeve one, not sure if for the flutter sleeves or the stripes or both!!
    I laughed so much with your husband's opinions :-) But I'm sure he was a great help ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! I think I am rather partial to the flutter sleeves one, myself ;) And yes, ha ha, my poor husband! He is often very helpful -- in his own special way.

      Delete
  2. :)) emi you look great in all those tops , love the stripe one with those sleeves! Your husband is so funny! He should start sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks Naii! I often tell my husband he should sew for himself, but I think he prefers to offer his opinions and then sigh dramatically when I say things are "too difficult." ;)

      Delete
  3. Both of your tanks look great! I love the a-line shape of the yellow one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! There was a bit of trial and error, but I'm happy I got there in the end!

      Delete
  4. So very awesome! I love those flutter sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I loved your tops as well. Must try them out!

      Delete
  5. Love them both! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those flutter sleeves! Yours looks so much better than the one you bought! ๐Ÿ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too generous, Andreia! Thank you, though <3

      Delete
  7. Your daughter's new dress is fab ๐Ÿ˜… ok your new top. Both of them. You can tell your husband I like the a shape ๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! She still insists that it's really a dress for her ;) Yay, another vote for the a shape!

      Delete
  8. You are so adorable! Your daughter wearing your shirt is cracking me up! My favorite is the flutter sleeve one. That is a lot of stripes to match up and it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karly! Those stripes were a real headache and I have such a fear of stripe matching ;) And haha, my daughter thinks I sew exclusively for her (I wonder where she got that idea...).

      Delete
  9. You did a fantastic job Emi. I love the placket and the flutter sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! It was pretty fun sewing something for myself for a change ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik