Saturday, October 31, 2015

Dia De Los Muertos 2nd Annual Blog Tour

I am so excited to be participating in the Second Annual Dia de los Muertos tour, hosted by Rebel & Malice! Now, you might be thinking "What in the world does wearing a summer kimono have to do with celebrating Dia De Los Muertos??" Well, you would be right in wondering. I am sort of wondering myself, ha ha.




Having been an educator in my past life, I am always excited about learning something new. Dia de los Muertos was no exception. It is a holiday that I have admired because of the joyous and vibrant way it reminds us to celebrate one's ancestors and loved ones, but I never really researched it prior to this tour. I won't go into it in my post, as several other bloggers have already provided some great information and history about the holiday (links to their blogs below).

There is a similar holiday in Japan, called Obon (literally translated, it is the "Lantern Festival", a holiday to celebrate the dead). It is a Buddhist holiday that takes place over a three-day period during the month of August, in which it is believed that the spirits of the dead return to this world to visit their family. Hence, most Japanese return home during this time to pay their respects to their ancestors.


As a child, I remember going to Japan over the summer to visit family and watching my cousins participate in the Bon Odori, a folk dance directed at the spirits of the dead. Everyone is dressed in a light summer kimono, called yukata, and dances to traditional music. What remains most in my memory from these summer visits are the beautiful lanterns swinging overhead in the evening as I watched the dancers go around in a circle in time to the music. Although it is quite somber (or at least, the versions that I have seen have all seemed somber to me), I love that everyone wears bright and vibrant colors, as if to celebrate their loved ones' return.


My daughter's kindergarten has a Bon Odori every year, and though these days I suspect not many people make the traditional yukata that people wear for the dance, I saw this beautiful fabric from Nani IRO and I just couldn't resist. For the actual dance, my mother-in-law was around to make sure my daughter was wearing her yukata properly, but for this photo shoot I just had to wing it, so if you are knowledgeable about how to wear a kimono, I advise you to look away.



Yes, I realize that she should probably not be wearing all those objects in her hair, as this is not a 7-5-3 Ceremony, but as soon as she caught sight of all the pretty hair ornaments, there was no dissuading her. And since it's hard enough as it is to convince her to participate in a photo shoot these days, I gave in. In fact, my original idea for this post was to make something fun for my girls using this awesome Cotton + Steel skull fabric I got from Miss Matatabi, but suddenly my older daughter decided that skulls are "scary" and my younger one said, "Black is yuck!" This is after I made an awesome pair of skull shorts that my older girl absolutely loved and wore all the time this summer. But the fan is a "proper" part of the outfit, so that is okay, at least!


Be sure to check out all of the wonderful stops along this tour! You will not want to miss what Mel has on her blog today (trust me, it is ama-zing!), and here are the other fabulous bloggers on the tour:

Monday, October 26 - Rebel & Malice - From a Box - Sews n Bows
Tuesday, October 27 - Call Ajaire - Hattielu Handmade - Made With Moxie
Wednesday, October 28 - Paisley Roots - Phat Quarters
Thursday, October 29 - Lulu & Celeste - Keep Calm and Carrion - Craft Lady Abby
Friday, October 30 - Whisk 'Em - Wild & Wanderful - Golden Rippy
Saturday, October 31 - Just Add Fabric - Filles a Maman
Sunday, November 1 - House of Estrela
Monday, November 2 - Rebel & Malice

As always, there is a great giveaway! In fact, there is not just one, but two!!

Rafflecopter giveaway #1

Rafflecopter giveaway #2

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post! I love learning about other cultures and it was wonderful to hear about yours. I hear you with the kids sticking their noses up too! My oldest has said I can make him a solid hoodie and jeans, but that is it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karly! I really enjoyed your posts as well -- in fact, it was your first post from last year that inspired me to write mine this way <3

      Delete
  2. That is absolutely amazing Emi! I agree with Karly, I also love to learn about other cultures. Your daughter is so cute and so her outfit! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel. This has been a really fun tour for me to participate in.

      Delete
  3. Oh Emi that kimono is beautiful, and the hair ornament! OMG. I want one for myself. I love hoe you shared your cultures traditions. Knowledge is power <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melissa! And thank you for having me on the tour. I love your creativity and it's fun exchanging ideas with everyone!

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful tradition Emi! Love the vibrant colours, we always dress in black here at memorial celebrations as a sign of respect, but I find colour much more appropriate, to give light and joy to our lost ones! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, many people dress in black for funerals here as well (and for formal ceremonies, go figure!!), so it's all very sombre. But I love how Obon is a time of celebration and "welcoming home" in remembering our loved ones. I agree with you -- that, to me, is a more happy way of remembering them.

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik