Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A love letter to my sewing community

“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” 
― L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Green Gables


I recently went to go see the latest in the Star Wars series with one of my co-bloggers, Jen. I never considered myself a true Star Wars fan, not knowing anything beyond what happens in the original trilogy -- and only having a hazy memory of those events, beyond the famous ones that stick in your mind thanks to popular culture. But this latest one was so much fun that I wondered why I enjoyed it as much as I had loathed the prequels.
Don't worry. This won't be a review of the movie except to say that aside from enjoying it immensely, it left me with a sense of nostalgia for my youth and the feeling that I wished I had seen it at a movie theater in Los Angeles. The nostalgia part is obvious. I saw the original around the time it came out (I think??), and I was quite young then. By the time Return of the Jedi came out, I was still young enough to get all excited about going to the movies with my neighbor friend, and young enough to go write about it in my diary afterwards. Apparently I (or my sister?) bought some figurines, and my mom saved them all these years. She sent them to me a few months ago so that my children could play with them. I had a Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as well, but couldn't find them at the time of picture-taking, sorry.

Poor R2-D2 hasn't fared too well. Leia has lost her cape, and Han has had his weapons taken away ha ha.
So the wishing to see it with an American audience...well, there were many moments during the movie that I thought to myself, "If this were LA, people would be cheering or clapping or showing some open sign of appreciation or joy -- but instead everyone is being quiet and holding it all in." And there's nothing wrong with that, but I realized that I wanted that feeling of community. Of being united with the people around me in a moment of vocal appreciation. That was why I wanted to see it at the theater -- the same way football fans might prefer going to the stadium to watch a match, or the way music fans go to hear live music. To participate in the appreciation of it -- and to share that appreciation with one another. Of course there is a time and a place for silence and reflection.

What does this long-winded beginning have to do with sewing? Everything and nothing. (Sorry, I didn't end up sewing a Darth Vader costume or an R2-D2 backpack, though that might have been pretty cool.) But you can get this super cool Darth Vader stencil from Ines of La Folie Sewing Booth here.


She has some other great tutorials, as well, so go check them out!

Anyway, the movie made me think about why I joined sewing groups and starting blogging and Instagramming in the first place. Of course there was the kind encouragement of my newfound sewing buddies (Sara, Andreia - thank you for getting me started; I love you guys!), whom I got to know mainly through IG. My husband is still puzzled by it all. ("Why do you have to show your work to people you don't even know? Why do you care what they think? Why do you care what they make? Why do you need MORE FABRIC??")

But I do care. I love seeing everyone's makes. I love hearing the stories behind it all. I love seeing all the beautiful, amazing, inspiring things that people are creating. To me, it is just as wonderful as going to a museum and visiting my favorite paintings, or listening to my favorite music, or watching a cricket match (not that I've been able to do that since I left England).

Here are just a few of the bloggers on IG who inspire me daily. I made the hard decision not to list any designers (anyone who has a pattern for sale) because then my list would just get way too long and I had to narrow it down somehow. Believe me, I want to mention everyone I follow, but that would be like 600 people -- and much too long for a blog post, ha ha ha. Also, I tried using collages wherever I could, so these are all screen shots taken from IG. Clearly I need more practice doing screen shots, but I'm hoping you'll get distracted by all the beautiful creations and not notice.

Mie - Sewing Like Mad
Andreia - In a manner of sewing
Toya - Made by Toya
Ines - La folie sewing booth
Sara - Made by Sara
Rita - Conversas de Hermanas

Rachel - Stitched Together
Shelley - Lightning McStitch
Jenya - While She Was Sleeping
Sophie - C'est la vie
Diana - Miss Castelinhos
Maria - Fairies, Bubbles and Co
Pat - Pequeno Mundo a 3+1

Melissa - Rebel and Malice
Tami and Taryn - Sew Sophie Lynn
Carolyn - Handmade by Carolyn 
Trine - Groovy Baby and Mama
Sara - The Sara Project
Maria - Creative Needle and Threads
I have to include Ute, because even though she doesn't blog (at least, I don't think she does), she is just so amazing, you need to follow her on IG if you aren't already. And if you don't have an IG account, you should sign up for one to follow her. She is that good.

Ute
What I love most about IG and these groups is interacting with everyone. I love that I am co-blogging with two warm and funny people who happen to live in the same city as me. I love being able to ask a question and so many helpful people step up. I love that I have "met" so many amazing women through the process. I love that no matter where we are in the world, we can share our creative lives with one another.

I am so happy to know these wonderful people. People who continue to inspire me on a daily basis. People whose talent is just as amazing as their brilliant and generous personalities. People whom I am privileged to call friends. Sewing people are the best people. Thank you for letting me into your lives.

Happy 2016!!

12 comments:

  1. Sweet Emi <3 YOU are the BEST! <3 big kiss to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my friend, YOU are!!! And I knew I was forgetting someone important! I have updated it to include a link to you and your inspiring posts!!! Love your photography and sewing -- and cooking!!!! <3

      Delete
  2. Emi, thank you for your kind words. You are one of the most encouraging and kind people I have 'met'. I am so glad there is this awesome community that brings sewing addicts from all over the world together. The support and encouragement provided by my fellow sewaholics are nothing short of phenomenal 😊 I feel honoured to be listed in this post. Please know the feeling is mutual 😘 I am a star wars fan and not ashamed of it 😊 I am glad to hear you enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could say the same about you, Jenya. I am so happy to have met you as well! I feel incredibly lucky to know you -- and yay! I'm always so glad to know a fellow Star Wars fan!!

      Delete
  3. Oh Emi... I'm crying over here! Thank you so much for including me in this awesome list! You are amazing and also an inspiration to all of us. Your sense of humor and kindeness is what I really love about you! I hope we get to meet in person one day. Also a Star Wars fan over, so another thing I love about you! May the New Year bring all the joy and love you and your family deserve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you are the sweetest! Thank you for coming over to read my little post. I just wanted to express my love and appreciation for amazing friends and sew-ers like you. I love that you are a Star Wars fan, too. I really hope we get to meet in person, too!! Wishing you the best year ever!

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhh I just returned from holidays and I'm reading "old" posts... You are so sweet, cool and amazing and many other things! Tks for mention me! I can't wait to meet you and your kids in real life latter this year... We are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to meet you, too!!! SO looking forward to it!!! <3

      Delete
  5. There´s no point in saying how much i love you my friend! <3 The absolute best thing about blogging is having known a few people I get to call friends even if we haven´t met (yet!) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Andreia -- you are the best!!! THE BEST! And yes, I agree that blogging and IG have created so many wonderful opportunities to become friends with some really amazing people like you <3

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik