Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Filles a Maman's Petit Oiseau Tour

Does anyone remember the Wonder Woman series from the 70s, starring Lynda Carter? Well, I'm probably giving away my age, but I used to watch it as a little girl and I'd twirl around, pretending I was Diana Prince. I loved her strength and integrity. She was smart and a warrior princess -- AND she was a dark-haired heroine! But let's be honest; what I wanted most was those gold cuffs. With the star. Don't forget the star. My admiration for her evolved into a game I played with the neighborhood girls, called "Ladies on an Island." Basically we all just ran around the front lawns of our houses trying to protect our idyllic "island" from attacks by vicious pirates. Or something like that, ha ha.

When Mel invited me to join the tour, I was totally thrilled. I love Mel's style, and the Petit Oiseau is one of my favorites of her patterns. I had made the short-sleeved version with the sweet flounce during testing, but I wanted to make something a bit different for the tour because I seem to be on a "stepping out of your comfort zone" kick lately. And so....I decided to go for something a bit more streamlined.


I paired it with the Rose Skirt. Now I'll be honest with you. I had some reservations about this skirt -- not because I didn't love how it looked (because I DO love it!) -- it was because my daughter is all about the twirl. This skirt is more like something I would wear. In fact, I have already checked the sizes to see if there is any way I can make the biggest size for myself (I think I can, heh heh!).

I had some of this quilted star knit left over from when I made a few baby Ziggys (have you seen Olu's cute ones?), and thought it would be perfect for my Wonder Woman-inspired outfit. I paired it with the red Nosh fabric I used recently here. I didn't have quite enough leftover, and because I had placed my recent Nosh order too late, it didn't arrive in time for this tour. Soooooo I had to be a bit creative with my cutting, and though I'm sure Mie would be upset with me for committing a Crime Against Fabric (just see her most recent FB share/repost about sewing mistakes that make your clothes look homemade), I think it worked out okay....


I made the size 4, though my daughter is borderline 5T. She won't be able to wear it for long, but luckily I have younger daughter who also likes stars. I love this top and will have to make her several more for the winter once I that lovely Nosh fabric arrives.


And the skirt. How I love the skirt! The shape of it! The wide waistband! Those pleats! I left off the pockets, but my daughter didn't complain. I think she liked the idea of being a superhero so that distracted her from the lack of pockets, heh heh.


I made one other minor change. I didn't have 2" elastic on me, so I just made two rows using 1" elastic. Not as clean-looking, but it works.


She was so excited to see that her trainers matched her skirt. Here she's doing some sort of "contemplative" pose with the ivy. I don't know. Maybe she's waiting for her invisible jet (which, by the way, I never really got because she was never invisible once she was inside it -- and doesn't that defeat the purpose??) or maybe she's thinking about how to save the world, lol.


The Petit Oiseau is available for $6 (USD) for the duration of the tour, good until Friday, December 4, 2015. No coupon required.

So now on to the exciting part! There is a Rafflecopter giveaway, and one person will will 21 patterns!!!!

Sponsors-Petit Oiseau Blog tour

Here you can enter the Rafflecopter giveaway

Don't miss a single stop along the tour!

Monday, November 30th: 

Tuesday December 1st: 

Wednesday December 2nd: 

Thursday December 3rd: 

Friday December 4th: 

13 comments:

  1. All your crimes committed while sewing this outfit should be forgiven thanks to the cuteness factor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Jenya! Saved by my daughter yet again, lol. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! I agree with Jenya, this is asewomely cute! Thanks a lot for being part of ths tour, I am so glad to have you. Thanks for your support too! Love xxx Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for having me, Mel. I loved making these two patterns -- can't wait to make more <3

      Delete
  3. That stars fabric is something... I really like how he sweater turned out! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Rita! I'm so glad no one mentioned the fact that I ran out of fabric for the sleeves and had to perform a "Frankenstein" on them, ha ha ha!

      Delete
  4. Aaa. So cute! She is ready to save the world! Love the fabric pairings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Olga! She loves running around pretending to be a superhero, lol.

      Delete
  5. I commented but somehow my comment disapperread. Love the outfit! A super stylish super hero ready to save the world! Go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! And that skirt is awesome... I would wear it too, in fact I have a Japanese pattern book with a very similar skirt. Just mentally added another item to my sewing list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I'd love to see your skirt -- once you make it, that is! ;)

      Delete
  7. Yes love what you realised! bravo! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lizzy!! I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik