Thursday, December 10, 2015

Holiday Debut Blog Tour: Blue Ridge Dress and Fishtail Kimono

I can hardly believe I'm part of this amazing Holiday Debut Blog Tour! Have you seen all the festive outfits so far? I'm all full of holiday cheer now! I feel like climbing a mountain, twirling around, and singing at the top of my lungs. Okay. Maybe not. Don't want to scare anyone. But please keep reading if you want to see my "Sound of Music"-inspired version. 
Make sure you scroll down to the end of the post to enter the Rafflecopter giveaway! You can also get 20% off all the patterns featured on the tour with the code HOLIDAY in any of the shops listed below.

When Gabriela of Chalk and Notch first spoke of doing a blog tour for her first pattern, the Fishtail Kimono, I knew I wanted to be part of the fun. And then when I learned she would be partnering with Holli (Hello Holli) and Saskia (The Wolf and the Tree), I was beyond excited. And of course it turned into something spectacular with 24 bloggers on the tour!

The two patterns I used for my daughter's outfit are really special to me, since I was a tester for both of them. They hold a very dear place in my sewing heart. Let's start with the dress:



I really wanted to sew the tights as well because they look sooooo good, but I ran out of time. But this dress pattern! Oh my goodness, let me count the ways! It cannot be more perfect with the attention to detail, the well-written tutorial (+ hurray for layers!), the illustrations and sew-a-long (with photographs!), and the beautiful finished product. You might remember that the Blue Ridge is the dress I loved so much that I gave up the nani IRO that I was saving for myself in order to make my final test version (here). Let me tell you, that is true love!  


I made a size 5, but kept it on the longer side, as I wanted my daughter to be able to wear it through next spring and hopefully into the summer. She also requested that it be long, to be more like "a princess dress." Yes, we are in that phase right now. I didn't go for a maxi length in the end, but I think it could be really cute -- you know, a Jane Austen vibe.

I don't know why I did it, but I made my bias tape binding wider than what was recommended in the pattern, and I am not entirely happy with it. But my daughter insisted she "liked it that way," so I wasn't about to argue with a sick and cranky child. 



I wanted to include my husband in my holiday sewing, so I asked him to choose the fabrics. Surprise, surprise, he went for blue. However, there was no "ta-da!" factor with the floral he chose, so I have to admit I was a bit disappointed at first. That said, I think it is still festive enough for the holidays -- and it's also suitable for regular days, too. You know, when you want to get on a bicycle and sing a tune.


I wanted to add a big, shiny button to give the dress some holiday sparkle, but the only one I had was this small one from a stash that inherited from my mom when she stopped sewing. I should have made the loop smaller, but I think I can just about get away with it.

Now, the Fishtail Kimono. Another amazing, professional pattern with a clearly written tutorial, lovely photographs to help you every step of the way, and pattern pieces that come together beautifully. You can see my earlier versions here. There is also a Pinterest board with some lovely versions for inspiration.


I purchased the fabric for the Fishtail Kimono at my local shop. The pattern calls for knits or wovens, and recommends staying away from quilting fabric. It didn't say anything about this...um...interesting (curtain??) fabric my husband chose. I was a bit skeptical because it looks a lot like blackout curtains, but it seemed as though it would drape okay so I decided to give it a go. I mean, if Maria von Trapp and Scarlett O'Hara could make clothes out of curtains, then so could I, right? Ha!



I'm sure you will be disappointed to hear that I couldn't convince my daughter to go mountain climbing in her floral dress so that we could sing Do-Re-Mi together, but she did agree to stand next to a tree and dance. Which was fine, since I didn't know where we would find 6 other children wearing floral dresses and lederhosen who would be willing to sing with us in time for this tour. Caroling isn't so big in Japan, as far as I know. Maybe next year. 



You must check out the other wonderful holiday outfits on this tour!



Monday, Dec 7th: Willow & Stitch | East & Eden | In a manner of sewing | Climbing the WillowTuesday, Dec 8th: Kaleidothought | Feathers Flights | Connected by a Thread | Call AjaireWednesday, Dec 9th: Rebel & Malice | Free Notion | The Whole Sh-Bang | House of EstrelaThursday, Dec 10th: Candice Ayala | Cindy Parrett | Hi and Hello | Made by ToyaFriday, Dec 11th: Just Add Fabric | Conversas de Hermanas | Glitter+Wit | Sew StarlySaturday, Dec 12th: Paisley Roots | Petit a Petit + family | Life With Zeke | Made by Sara

All of the patterns: the Fishtail Kimono, the Abby Socks, and the Blue Ridge Dress will be on sale for the duration of the tour at 20% off with the code HOLIDAY!

And I'm sure by now you have heard about the spectacularly generous prize from the sponsors of the tour!! 



Fabric Shops Gift Certificates:
$50 BWD Fabrics & Supplies | $50 Imagine Gnats | 20 EU Girl Charlee UK
Sewing Patterns:
Hello Holli - Blue Ridge Dress | The Wolf and the Tree - your choice of a pattern | Chalk and Notch - Fishtail Kimono | Baste+Gather - a copy of all the patterns | True Bias - Men’s Hudson Pants | Jennuine Design - your choice of a pattern | Sew Sweetness - your choice of a pattern | Radiant Home Studios - Highland House Pattern | Paisley Roots - a copy of all the patterns | Atelier Louise - Silver Sans Sandal pattern |Tinman Pattern - your choice of a pattern | Pattern Pieces - Fun Tee Pattern | Lorelei Jayne - Tech Pouch pattern | Designs by Call Ajaire - your choice of a pattern | The Ruffled Stitch - Flower Stripe Top/Dress pattern | Petit a Petit Family - your choice of 2 patterns
Gifts:
$25 Sew Sew Rachel


a Rafflecopter giveaway

Good luck and thanks for visiting!!

18 comments:

  1. I love it! Such a pretty outfit! In Portugal every year without execption we had sound of music on tv on the 25th, such great memories came to mi mind reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? You have it on TV also? Wow, I thought it was just in the US. That's so cool! I love Julie Andrews so much!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful outfit! I love the classic floral fabric paired with navy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it has really grown on me :)

      Delete
  3. Emi-I love your version so much!! Your posts always make me smile too :) thanks for joining our tour!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I had so much fun sewing for this tour. Thank you for having me -- I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's outfits. Can't wait for the final day!!!

      Delete
  4. The dress is adorable and so is the floral print! And yes, Christmas and Sound of Music are a perfect match ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! I think I need to start that tradition with my girls, also. I've already started trying to brainwash them by playing the sountrack over and over this month, heh heh.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful outfit, I love the vintage feel to the dress and the fabric you choose (I should say the hubby choose) for the kimono turned out to be such a great match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks Cindy! He does really enjoy choosing fabrics and thinking up combinations. I should let him get involved more often ;)

      Delete
  6. The whole outfit is so darling Emi, I love love the floral and the contrasting wide bias trim too :) The kimono coordinates so perfectly with it! And I really enjoyed reading your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Indu! Sometimes it takes me until the finished product to realize how much I actually like a fabric combination, ha ha!

      Delete
  7. Julie Andrews is my Idol! Well you know my love for musicals so I am sure you aren't surprised. We actually own the DVD and watch it pretty regularly around here. Now for the real stuff... such a cute and delicate outfit! Love that pretty floral and your kimono fabric is awesome. I think the longer length works nicely with the Blue Ridge Dress. Oh and love that you have your girls involved in the design process, hehe! Awesome holiday outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you share my love of musicals, Celina! I'm really hoping the dress gets a lot of wear in the warmer months, too, so I'm glad the longer length isn't awkward on her, heh heh. ;)

      Delete
  8. You are hilarious! And the outfit is adorable! I actually think your husband did quite a nice job...it's like subtle holiday and we all know that is all the rage these days, hehe ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Mie! I'll have to let him know that you gave your stamp of approval (but now I won't hear the end of it...). The flower button was as "fancy" as he would agree to go on this outfit -- I haven't told him about the sparkly button on the Blue Ridge, ha!

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely dress, and the big button is so great! I kept giggling while reading, seeing you and your daughter singing German songs while walking up and down Japanese mountains. ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hills are alive with the sound of music 😉 I think your husband chose well. If I was a young girl I too would have felt like a princess in this dress 😊

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik