Monday, January 25, 2016

Lining Your Flutter Sleeves: The Eleena Dress by Coffee and Thread

Hello fellow flutter sleeve fans!! I never thought I'd be doing a tutorial for anything on the blog (at least, not so early on in my "sewing career" -- ha ha that sounds so funny to me), but here I am showing you how I like to do lined sleeves. It's quite easy, and for many people I'm sure this tutorial won't be exciting news, but just in case anyone wants to see it in action, I thought I'd put a little something together just for you.

It was during the testing process for the beautiful Eleena Dress by Coffee and Thread that I thought about whether I could do an alternate version of the hem on the flutter sleeves. I'm not always spot-on when it comes to sewing a straight line (there's an understatement!), so I figured I could line the sleeves, as I've done before. That way I could use two fabrics as well as not hurting anyone's eyes with some wonky hem sewing making it look pretty on the underside.

By the way, if you want to get your pattern, you can visit the Coffee and Thread website here. It's on sale for $7 until Friday, January 29. Even if you already own it, I encourage you to go back and just admire the photography. Aren't the pictures beautiful??

Okay. So, the first thing you want to do after pre-washing and drying your fabric is probably iron it. Otherwise you end up with fabric that looks like mine, heh heh. Luckily you can't really see the wrinkles in my black fabric.


Then you will cut 2 pairs of flutters, as directed by the tutorial. I chose these colors because they are pretty contrasting, and therefore relatively easy to see what I'm doing. Though I realize now that there is no obvious right side/wrong side, doh! Sorry about that. With my dress, I decided that the black would be the side that shows and the pink would be the underside. Is that even a word? Anyway, you get my meaning, right?

The tutorial says to make a narrow hem at the straight edge of the sleeve. This is where I place 2 of the sleeve pieces right sides together and pin. If you are planning to use piping (or even lace!), go ahead and add it in!


I know my pieces are not perfectly cut and you can see how the black piece peeks out underneath the pink. Erm....I did that on purpose so you could see that they are layered, right sides together...uh, yeah.

Next you sew along that straight edge. I like to use a 1/8" SA on my flutters, though a 1/4" or 0.5cm SA are good, too, depending on how you want your flutter to look (just trim it down after you've sewn it if you go with 1/4" or 0.5cm).


Don't forget to press. Press the seam towards the lining so that when you do the understitching, it is caught in the stitching.

Another thing: I like to change threads when I do the understitching. As you can see, I have decided that the pink is the underside and the black will be on top. It's kind of a pain to switch threads, but in the end it's worth it. I probably could have gone with pink all the way, but I started with black when I first sewed the pieces together. If a lazy person like me can change threads, I encourage you to do it, too.


Ugh, I need a new iron cover. I'll get to that project....um....someday.
Once it's sewn, fold the pieces wrong sides together and press again. I like to finger press it first to give it some shape so it doesn't go all wonky, and then go over it with the iron. Because the black is a bit difficult to see (way to go choosing fabrics, Emi), I'll show you the pink side:



The tutorial will then guide you through how to do gathers, and it will produce some lovely flutter sleeves to go with your Eleena Dress. Ta-da!


What's that you say? You thought you would see the whole dress? Well, my friends, I'm sorry but I'll have to ask you to wait a while for that. But I promise I will post it once it's finished.

Thanks for visiting, and happy sewing!

10 comments:

  1. Love those colors! Thanks for the tutorial , you should do this more :-))))!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Naii!! So nice of you to say -- I was a bit unsure whether this would be helpful to anyone, so it makes me happy that you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Awww, I'm so glad you approve, Jenya!! <3 If you're going to do it, might as well do it properly, right? ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the tutorial! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! And thank you for the awesome pattern -- you know I am making about a billion of these dresses, right? Ha ha ha!

      Delete
  4. I love that color combination! You are a great teacher... perfect tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Rita!!! I'm glad you liked it <3

      Delete
  5. Wow, you understitched the flutter sleeves! That's really thoughtful sewing.
    I really like lined sleeves, just that little flash of colour is lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! And yes, I couldn't resist understitching them ;) It just looks a bit nicer that way, don't you think? <3

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik