Monday, February 8, 2016

Pattern Testing: The Mackinaw Coat by Designs by Call Ajaire

How has your 2016 been so far? Many of my blogging plans have fallen to the wayside, but at least I've been sewing a lot! I'm here with a fabulous coat pattern that is launching today. It's the Mackinaw Coat by Call Ajaire. Comfy-cozy and really cool.


I declared sometime towards the end of the year last year that 2016 would be my year of coat-making (well, coats for my kids, anyway) after I made the Gabriella's Winter Coat by Bella Sunshine Designs. I haven't blogged about it, but it's an amazing pattern that made me remember that I love making coats (well, I've only made one other coat to date, but once I got the hang of that one, I made several!), and this Mackinaw Coat is definitely not one to be missed either!

I saw an early version of the pattern on the DbCA website here, and thought it looked so fun and comfortable. I knew my daughter would love wearing a coat that was like a cozy blanket. Being supremely indecisive a thoughtful wife who wanted to let her husband get involved, I let him choose the fabric, but then he opted to go shopping rather than choosing something from my stash, gah! Of course he chose shades of navy and stripes.

I saw the stripes and stifled a scream (I am no pattern-matcher by any stretch of the imagination). And then I took a deep breath and set to work cutting the pieces. Of which there are many. I did not attempt to match them because I decided that I was just going to let it go, and besides, he had only bought the required amount, no extra. I did, however, manage to match them in just one area (I recorded it for posterity here).


I'd neglected to tell him that I would be needing a different fabric for the collar (I opted for the regular collar rather than the dramatic version), but luckily I still had some of that white fleece fabric I used for the swan cape, so I went with it even though I knew it would get dirty pretty much right away. That's okay; we got pictures of it first, ha ha!

I will be honest. This is not a quick sew. But I don't think coats are meant to be an "Oh, I'll just whip it up in a couple of hours" kind of sew. Unless you are superwoman. Which I'm not. But let me tell you, it is worth it! I mean, bound buttonholes!! If you are tired of fighting with your machine over making buttonholes (I know I am) and if you love welts (or even if you don't), you will love how these buttonholes look. There is an option for 4 or 6 buttons, and I chose to do 4. Mainly because I only had 4 matching buttons that were large enough and that went with the fabric.


Mine aren't perfect, but aren't they da bomb? (Um, who uses that phrase after 1990??? Me, apparently, HA! Sorry. Yes, I see your horrified cringing faces over there.) Here is one more view with the sash:


And this is without. I think it looks pretty good both ways.


You may be wondering about the sleeves and the dropped armscye. It's meant to mimic a large blanket thrown across the shoulders, so it's supposed to be roomy. Oh! And here is a view of the inside:


Don't mind the lining; I totally misread the instructions and did the pleats wrong, but let's not focus on that. Look! Strawberries!

I made the size 4 for my daughter, and there is enough ease for her to wear a sweater underneath it. With most PDF patterns, I usually go with a size 4 chest/waist and 5 length for her (but not her arms, where she is still a size 4), but I went with a straight 4 for the test, and I think it is fine. You can also choose to put flaps over the pockets, but I think it's too busy with the belt for the girl version, and I wanted a relatively clean look for the coat since it has the pleats in the front.


Don't you just love the back? See the way the belt loop is part of the back bodice? I think that's pretty cool.


This is it without the sash. You can hardly notice it, right? Kinda sorta?

The pattern comes with options for both boys and girls, and the sizing runs from 12M to 12Y. It's layered, so you can choose only the size(s) you need, and the instructions are extremely detailed. It's considered confident beginner level. There's a printing guide for the pattern pieces, and a guide on choosing the correct size for your child. If you've made the Paneled Sunsuit, you probably already know that Ajaire is nothing but exacting.

I'll leave you with one last view of this jacket. I am sure it will get a lot of wear!


You can buy the pattern here. It's on sale for $10, but you can get it for 15% off in the Etsy shop with the code MACK15.

But wait!! Don't go buying it just yet -- there's a 25% off coupon during the release period if you join the DbCA (Designs by Call Ajaire) Facebook Group here. Niiiiiice.

There will be a sewalong next week on the Call Ajaire website with plenty of photos as well! Happy sewing!

23 comments:

  1. I love the coat and the story, my husband would never ever choose the option of going to the fabric store LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miranda! My husband always prefers shopping at the store to "shopping" my stash -- you can say we have very different tastes when it comes to fabric, ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I have been waiting for this blog post! I really really like the fabric, and your sewing is impeccable, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Marie, so kind of you, thank you!! And ha ha, I wouldn't say impeccable, but I really enjoyed making this coat! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so nice. I love stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cate!! I love stripes, too -- when someone else sews them! I haven't seemed to master the matching part yet...heh heh.

      Delete
  4. Wow, a lot of great details on that coat. It looks like a fun sew. And your "look, strawberries" comment are cracking me up ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! It was a fun sew. I hope I managed to distract you from the lining, then, ha ha! Glad I could make you laugh. ;)

      Delete
  5. SO cute, Emi! Love the back belt loop, totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga!! I think that back belt loop is my favorite part of the jacket, too!

      Delete
  6. The buttonholes. Da bomb indeed :) I like the fabric your husband chooses. The coat is super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jenya! Thank you so much! But I'm not going to tell him otherwise he will get a swelled head, ha ha just kidding! ;)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Krista!! Thank you for visiting <3

      Delete
  8. Your coat looks great! I love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much!! I loved your adorable version, too!!

      Delete
  9. That jacket was well worth your effort. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodi! Best part is my daughter loves it and the weather is perfect for it right now :)

      Delete
  10. Your bound buttonholes are definitely da bomb! haha. So great! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous coat Emi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having me, Ajaire! I really enjoyed making this coat -- and I love the end result <3

      Delete
  11. Really love this coat! Very happy to have discovered this through the Swhetty Betties Blog!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik