Monday, February 22, 2016

Succulence Blog Tour

Today is the last day of the Succulence Collection blog hop, hosted by the very lovely Bonnie Christine of Going Home to Roost. Have you seen all the lovelies on the tour thus far? Amazing. I am so honored to be on this tour alongside a lot of talented people! And Art Gallery fabrics are so special. Once you work with it, you will immediately feel the difference.



I was fortunate enough to be able to work with three lovely fabrics for the tour. They are all from "Early Winter":


But take a look at the rest of the collection -- so many pretty fabrics in "Light of Day" too!



As soon as I saw "Drenching Aridity," I knew it had to be a top. And I had the perfect pattern in mind. I used Coffee and Thread's Mulberry Tunic. I had been wanting to make this pattern ever since I saw Mie of Sewing Like Mad's versions here, here, here, and here. (Cough cough, you may be beginning to suspect that I am a bit of a Sewing Like Mad fangirl -- and to that I unabashedly say: you are right!). 

So, the tunic. I fell in love with Mie's girly version, and in fact, I wanted this tunic pattern so much that I actually bought it twice! Yep, twice. Is that an indication of how many PDF patterns I own? Um...maybe...


As this is a unisex pattern, I tried to make it a bit more girly by adding elastic in the sleeves. I am nervous about shirring ever since I played with the tension in my bobbin and then got scolded by the Brother rep when I couldn't remember where the factory setting was. So, because of that incident, I chose to go the elastic route. 



Sorry about the wrinkles, folks. I swear I did a lot of pressing, but you know how things go once your children put on their clothes, right? Since I seem to use a distraction technique a lot, let me see if I can think of something this time....Ah ha! Got it! See my bow? I added a little bow in the front because...well, because I like to add bows to everything, haha!

The pattern calls for a pleat in the back, but because I liked Mie's gathered version, I followed her instructions to gather mine as well.





If you're noticing that these Mulberry Tunic photographs are looking better than my usual -- all the editing credit goes to the lovely and talented Olga of Coffee and Thread. Not only is she a pattern designer and sewist extraordinaire, she is also a terrific photographer with mad skills!!! Thank you for editing these photos, Olga!

And the shorts? I had 0.5 yard of the lovely "Abiding Rainwater" fabric, so I decided to make a pair of shorts using a Japanese sewing pattern (I used pattern "L" from this book). I had wanted to try out these shorts for a while because of the cute pleat detail on the sides. The original pattern calls for three buttons per side, but because I only had four of these buttons, I just went for it. I think it sort of works. Right? Right? Okay, don't tell me.




The other fabric I received was this beautiful "Greenhouse Aglow." It is so pretty in person. I am not sure my pictures do it justice. 



It's just so vibrant and rich. I had a bit of a hard time deciding on what bias tape to use with this lovely fabric, and had to consult my lovely sewing friends on IG, who (as always!) were really helpful and supportive. Thank you, dear friends!!



This dress is pattern "C" from the same book above. I love that wide collar (and if you want to do a better job sewing the corners than I was able to do, I suggest taking a look at Holli's post here). 

I also really love the grown-up feel of the dress. In a way, it's hard for me to face the fact that my "little big girl" is growing up, but I'm happy that she enjoys more sophisticated style clothes now, too.



 Thank you, Bonnie Christine, for letting me work with your beautiful, sumptuous Succulence Collection fabrics. And if you are interested in trying them out for yourself, they are available for purchase here.


If you missed yesterday's stop on the tour, you can check out Isabel's post here, and for a list of all the participants, you can go to Bonnie's website here. Have a browse while you're there; so many wonderful things to see! 

Thanks for visiting :)

16 comments:

  1. I love this so much! The dresses, the tunic, the shorts! I didn't realize that was a cute pleat in the shorts. How clever! So so pretty, Emi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your help, Olga! And I love the tunic so much -- I think it's time to try one out in knit, now... :)

      Delete
  2. MY GOODNESS!!! SO MUCH GORGEOUSNESS!! And yes, that needed to be said in caps, ha. The fabrics are stunning and so are all the patterns and the photos and the girl and and and. Well, fan girl right back at ya'!! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love that you used all caps -- totally made my day!! <3 So happy you like it, since it was inspired by your fabulous versions. I can't tell you how many times I consulted your posts!!

      Delete
  3. These are so beautiful Emi!!! And those fabrics!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Abby!!! And aren't the fabrics wonderful? I love Art Gallery!

      Delete
  4. Emi, once again perfectly matched patterns and fabrics. I love your version of the tunic. I think elastic in the sleeves works very well. No bows on a dress and the shorts? How come? Oh well, they are still super adorable. The collar on the dress is so dramatic. And I think two buttons on the sides of the shorts look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenya. You are always so generous with your comments <3 And hahaha no bows this time! I don't know why it didn't occur to me to use bows on the shorts, at least! ;)

      Delete
  5. The last dress is just divine. Love the colours and the pattern with the collar. I'm guessing I wasn't on Team Pink in the instagram voting, but it's perfection, so I should have been! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shelley. I actually wasn't so sure about the dress, but fortunately it turned out all right!! I'm glad you approve!! :)

      Delete
  6. These outfits are amazing Emi! Love your Mulberry, very cute with the elastic in the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, Maartje <3 I'm relieved that the elastic saved me from having to shir, heh heh.

      Delete
  7. Such lovely fabrics! And the tunic, shorts, and dress; amazing as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rebecca! I'm really glad you like them :)

      Delete
  8. What a great use of pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi!! The fabric was so lovely that it was such a pleasure to sew.

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik