Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Pattern Testing: Elegance & Elephants Mori Dress

From the moment I saw Heidi Kettner's latest pattern for Elegance & Elephants, I was in love. You know, that fluttery, dancing through the meadow to the sound of birds chirping type of love.



The first ever pattern from Elegance & Elephants that I tried might have been the Bohemian Babydoll Dress pattern. I was so happy to find a pattern with no closures that was as cute as it was wearable. My daughter was ecstatic that she could dress herself. And you already know how I feel about flutter sleeves. Speaking of which, the other pattern that I love love love is the Hemlock Top, which I shared on Instagram. I am eager to try the Ponderosa Dress, which I've had for ages, too. 

So. This Mori Dress!!! According to the description, "it is inspired by the soft, whimsical characteristics of Japanese Mori Kei (forest style). The delicate flounces are inserted into princess seams to create a dramatic silhouette that will twirl just about as much as the beautifully gathered skirt. The fully-lined bodice has no closures or visible seams, so you can show-off the design in your fabric of choice." And let me tell you -- it is a delicate, ethereal, beautiful dress. 



I used some kind of lawn, I think, which I bought on one of my many trips to Nippori Fabric Town. The woman at the shop assured me it was an Italian fabric, and it is actually really lovely to the touch, more like a voile, I think, and drapes quite well. 

The pattern calls for two ties at the sides, but with this version I opted to use a ribbon as a belt, as the color seemed to go so well. Unfortunately I realized too late that my cut was a bit too short. 



It still works, I think, though longer would have been nicer. 



Here is the full-length view. I originally made the size 3 with size 5 for length for the first test, and that fit perfectly, but you know me -- I like to have something for my girl to grow into, so this one is a size 4 with size 5 length. 

I also made a top version because my daughter has so many dresses by now that I thought a top would be a great addition to her spring wardrobe.


I made the top using fabric from Liesl Gibson's latest collection, Woodland Clearing by Robert Kaufman, which I bought from Urban Sew. It's a beautiful coral color, and the cotton lawn fabric goes so well with the pattern. I used a lightweight quilting cotton that I bought locally for the lining. 



The sizing runs from 6 months to 8 years. One of the things I really like about the tutorial is that there are photographs (which I personally prefer). There is also a finished measurements chart -- with imperial and metric measurements. And the best thing -- it's a layered pattern, so you only need to print the size(s) you need!!

You can see some of the amazing tester versions here. And you can buy the Mori Dress pattern in her shop here. Happy Sewing!!

18 comments:

  1. Love the dress, and absolutely love the top with contrasting fabric peeking out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenya! As soon as I saw that fabric, I knew it had to be a Mori Top. ;) I love those colors on my girl.

      Delete
  2. Both your versions are beauuuutiful. I have said it before and I'm going to say it again...you are a machine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! This robot needs to slow down, hahaha!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Olu, thank you so much! And I know these aren't really in your color scheme, right? ;)

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha, but I still think they are gorgeous even though I would have made grey lol!!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely top and dress!! Your fabric choices are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maria!! (Oh and I deleted your second comment because I realized I had published it twice, oops)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so now i need that dress! Too beautiful to resist after seing yours! How do you manage to sew so many things, my friend!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got the pattern, Fatima! It's so sweet and I know you will do something absolutely beautiful with it! And hm....maybe as Mie says -- I'm really a robot...? LOL

      Delete
  7. These are just stunning! I love your fabric choises too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Krista! And thank you for visiting and commenting <3

      Delete
  8. Ohhh Emi, I love all that you make but that last dress <3 amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patricia!!! I am so happy you like it :) <3

      Delete
  9. Gladys is sitting at my elbow saying. "soooo pretty! I want that for me!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, how sweet!! I guess it looks like you'll be making a Mori one of these days, too?? ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik