Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Pattern Testing: Miss Polly by Sewpony Vintage

I don't know about you, but I've been meaning to start taking things a bit slower these days - at least on the sewing front. The list of things that I want to sew just keeps growing, and I find myself getting sidetracked by so many things that on most days it feels as though I am running around getting nothing done. And then I get overwhelmed by my list, so I have to tell myself to take a deep breath and do one thing at a time.

One of the things on my to-sew list is a pretty dress for my younger daughter. Big sister always seems to get all the new lovelies, and it just doesn't seem fair. So when I saw the Miss Polly dress, I knew it would be the perfect thing for her.


And boy, was she happy to have something all to herself. Not something that once belonged to big sister! And I'm such a pushover for her joyous face that I was more than happy to make two dresses during testing. You are seeing version 1 (cap sleeves, no shoulder flaps) here. I'll talk about the other version in another post.


Actually, this isn't version 1. I made a mistake cutting version 1, and so I had to put it aside for now. (Seriously, folks, when the sewing gods say measure twice and cut once, those are some wise words.) Following the sizing chart, I made the size 2 with size 3 length, and I think it fit her perfectly. 


I have recently joined the Piping Appreciation Club, of which Sara of Made by Sara and Jenya of While she was sleeping are probably the founders and champions. And if you love piping, this dress is the perfect garment for you! I have to say that even if you don't love it, this pattern makes it so easy (there are even instructions on how to make your own piping). And doesn't it look so nice with the piping? Ahhhh.


And look at those pockets! Aren't they the coolest? I love how they are a lovely design feature and yet simultaneously functional! Imagine the different fabrics you could use! There is so much for you to play with in this pattern. Just look at Mie's version!! And wait till you see the other tester versions -- so beautiful!


I bought this fabric at my local fabric shop ages ago. Nothing says "Japan" like a few sumo wrestlers and Mount Fuji, right? I can't even remember what I'd originally bought it for -- my regret is that I didn't have enough for proper pattern matching. 

The dress is partially lined and there is an invisible zipper in the back. Now if you're like me, when you read the words "zipper," you want to run and take cover. But - again - if you're like me, doing buttonholes on your machine strikes an equal amount of fear into your heart. And really, zippers aren't so bad, especially if you've got the right foot for it! Come on, if I can do it, surely you can! ;) And so worth it when the result is this:


Happy child = sewing mother who will brave any kind of zipper.

Okay, the details. This is from the Sewpony Vintage description of the pattern:

"Miss Polly is a sweet vintage inspired dress that offers three main views - sleeveless, capped sleeve and then either three quarter or long sleeves. A large apron pocket can be piped and fabrics can be mixed and matched to achieve different looks. Decorative shoulder flaps can be added to your dress too. The back closes with an invisible zipper and the bodice is lined. 

Here are some more specifics of the Miss Polly pattern:
  • Sizes 12 mo, 18mo, 2 - 10 years;
  • Detailed photographic/written instructions including how to make your own piping;
  • You will receive three separate files after purchase: 1/ instructions; 2/ home print pattern; 3/ A0 shop print file (2 pages);
  • Pattern is printable in colour or black and white;
  • Size chart in metric and imperial;
  • Fabric requirements for standard two widths of fabric (metric and imperial);
  • Fabric layout diagrams;
  • A thoroughly tested pattern." 

You can get your pattern here. And don't forget to use the code  MISSPOLLYDRESS10 for 10% off until Friday (March 18th) 9pm Melbourne time! Also, don't forget to share your dress on social media using the hashtag #misspollydress so we can all admire it!! Yay!

20 comments:

  1. I just love your fabric choice here Emi (and yes, the second version as well, as I've already seen it ;) ).
    Isabella wants me to make another Polly dress as well. Should I make a Dutch version of it? (lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nelleke!! And thank you (re: second version, haha). I definitely think you should go ahead and make a Dutch version! Is there a similar Dutch-themed fabric? With clogs? Cheese? Tulips? Sorry, I am so ignorant about these things!

      Delete
  2. This fabric is so funny and your Miss Polly is adorable ! L's smile is priceless <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty fun, isn't it! Thank you -- I absolutely loved yours, too xxx

      Delete
  3. You were such a super tester Emi! I love your dresses and appreciated your great attention to detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Suz! I love this pattern -- it's so sweet and perfect. I can envision more in my daughters' closets!

      Delete
  4. Nelleke would you choise a tulip fabric? Then I can look out for a Swiss cheese fabric, hahaha. Emi I love the half naked big guys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Bettina!! You are too funny!! I would LOVE to see a Swiss cheese dress! Please make one!!

      Delete
  5. The dress looks great, and good to see that it looks so nice layered as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bit too cold still to go out without long sleeves, so I thought this would work for now. And I definitely want her to wear it through the spring and summer, hence the cap sleeves!

      Delete
  6. Us sewing mums will do any sort of crazy thing to keep our kiddos happy - even install zippers ;) Love this dress! Of course everything looks super with piping ;) Thanks for the mention :) Boy I love this fabric! I made a mental plan of things I wanted to make last summer and then also got side-tracked. On one stage I felt so guilty I did not follow with the plan and didn't make everything I wanted, it was ridiculous! No more planning here. I am just going to sew whatever my girls and I need or want, decided there and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you didn't mind the mention in association with the piping (at least I hope you didn't) -- I meant it in the best possible way <3 I am glad you have let go of the planning, too. I am definitely going to do what you are doing and sew whatever inspires us at the moment. ;)

      Delete
  7. This dress is just so much fun! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Olga! I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  8. Love it!!! astonishing and brilliant!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It's a really great pattern and I thought the fabric was a lot of fun ;)

      Delete
  9. I love what you did with this fabric!!!! I have the same one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, Celine!!! I would love to see what you decide to make with it!!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Heh heh, pretty hilarious, right? What with the half-naked sumo guys ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik