Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Starry Girl Dress by Puperita

You may or may not be surprised to see me back with yet another Puperita pattern. I seriously cannot get enough! 



I first heard about the Sarah Jane Studios Easter Dress Challenge from the very talented Candice Ayala (have you seen the gorgeous dress she made for the challenge? Fabulous!). I had no idea what I wanted to make, but the fabrics are so gorgeous that I couldn't help myself and got two; the first one you are seeing here. I have owned Puperita's Starry Girl Dress pattern for what seems like a while now, but was waiting for the perfect fabric to come around. Enter Sommer Garden. It's everything you want in a spring-summer print and exactly right for Easter, too. 

It's a sweet little dress with princess seams and cap sleeves. You could even do a faux belt, but I opted to go the simple route and used bias tape instead. I think a ribbon would look cute, too! 

My favorite part of this dress has to be the capped sleeves, though I admit I had to do some head-scratching when it came time to sew them to the bodice. I couldn't seem to get the casing seam to align to the princess seam at first. But hey, it was late at night, so I'm sure it's just me. 



It comes in sizes 3Y-10Y, and I made the straight size 5. I probably should have made her the 4 based on her chest measurement, but I wanted her to be able to wear it for longer than just this season. As for length, I think I can get away with adding lace to the bottom once it becomes too short. 



By now you must know about my aversion to zippers, but my fear of buttonholes is probably worse. And actually, I am getting used to putting in zippers -- and whether it's because I have had more practice or because of the great instructions, I'm pretty pleased with how nicely this invisible zipper turned out (non-pattern matching not withstanding). 

I would have to say the dress comes together pretty quickly (there's no lining), and even though it's not a layered PDF, Annalisa divides the pattern pieces up into a few sizes so you aren't printing a million pages. I only printed the pages that had ages 3Y-6Y, and the pieces are marked so you don't have to print in color. The tutorial has nice clear photographs as opposed to illustrations, and when they are that clear, I have to say I prefer photos to illustrations. 




This dress is definitely a winner. How do I know? Because even though it's not twirly, my daughter put it on and said she felt like dancing (maybe it's those cute bunnies jumping around in the garden). If you feel like making your own Starry Girl Dress, you can get it in Annalisa's Etsy Shop here.

Stay tuned for the second dress I made using Sommer fabric!

Thanks for visiting and happy sewing!

12 comments:

  1. I just love this dress, and the print; and those adorable gold loafers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy!! And aren't the loafers great? I kind of want them for myself, haha!

      Delete
  2. Love everything... The dress, the fabric and your dancing daughter :-) I've been temped to buy some Puperita's patterns, but I was only looking at the baby ones (overalls). I need to have a look at the girl's ones too. Definately this one is 100% the kind of dress I like. And the fitting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fatima, I really hope you do buy some! They are really lovely (everything lines up perfectly) and the customer support (though I'm sure you won't need it) is second to none!

      Delete
  3. Emi, perfectly matched fabric and pattern 😍 I don't think the dress looks big on your girl. It will look darling with the lace next year. From one Puperita fan to another, well done 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you approve, Jenya!! I was really hoping you would <3

      Delete
  4. It is such a sweet dress! Both pattern and fabric are beautiful. Great choice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An adorable dress! I love princess seams, but you don't see them around too often nowadays. It will look lovely with lace added next year. I came across from Sews n Bows, then realised I've seen you in a Facebook group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming all the way over to my little blog, Pam! I'm glad you found me and thank you for your kind words! I wonder if we're in the same Puperita group. :)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik