Monday, March 7, 2016

The Eleena Dress by Coffee and Thread

With all the beautiful Eleenas on parade this past week, I was intimidated to talk about mine -- on the last day, no less! But my girls and I really love this dress (I made a few during testing which I hope to post at a later date), so here I am with two takes on the same dress. 

I have renamed the latest incarnation of this dress "The Heleena of Troy" dress for the little "war" it has caused between my girls. Why? Read on...



Well, from the second they saw the fabric and realized I was making another version of the twirly dress, it became The Dress That Launched a Thousand Arguments.... 

"It's for me! Mommy's making a dress for me!" 

"No! That dress is mine!" 

"It's mine!" 

"I saw it first!"

"Mommyyyyyy!!! Who is the dress for??" 

Ahhhhhh....(run away and hide)

My little one got to model it first, since she is at home with me all day while big sister is at school for the morning. She was so happy that she was first and kept insisting, "It's really mine, right, Mommy? Because I really like soft and fluffy things." (The fabric is very pleasant to the touch, though it was so trying to sew. I admit that I nearly gave up several times. Also, even though I thought I had pressed it well enough, when my daughter put the dress on and started dancing around, it wrinkled and drove me crazy.)


I made the size 4 with the original intention being my older daughter wears it first. The only changes I made were taking off 6cm from the hem and extending the lining to be the length of the dress using a lightweight voile-type fabric because the parrot fabric is almost see-through. 

I didn't have enough of the fabric to do pattern matching or to make the proper length dress, so I was hoping that it would be just enough to serve as a tunic for my older daughter. It didn't even occur to me that my younger daughter would want to wear it. Luckily, I think she can get away with it as a dress. Don't mind the turtleneck. It's about two sizes too large for her, but she loves wearing it because "it's soft and pink." Her words, not mine. 



The beautiful fabric was gifted to me by Miss Matatabi, and I'd been saving and saving and saving it for a special project (and, let's be honest here, I was scared to sew with it). Unfortunately, I'd been saving it for so long that she no longer stocks it in her shop, but check out all the other beauties here.

Now, when it came turn for my older daughter to model the dress-turned-tunic, I was expecting another argument between the girls, but I think my little one was pleased with the fact that she had already worn it -- plus we were going to the park, so she didn't really mind that she couldn't wear it because there were other, more important things on her mind. Like making sure the flower petals got enough moisture (see what I mean here). 

Haha, I just realized that they are both wearing turtlenecks under this dress! Well, though it might be spring, there is still a chill in the air. 
She's pretending to be a bird in search of food, in case you were wondering. Maybe it was all the crows we saw. Or maybe it's just because she's wearing a parrot top. Who knows. 



I think I could have gone with making it a bit shorter on her, actually, but then my little one might not have worn it as a dress, so I'll go with it. I'm hoping they will be able to wear it for quite a while. 





So there you have it. The Eleena-"Heleena" dress. You'll be happy to know that they have made up since the first argument, and are best friends again. It helps to have a common enemy, I think (i.e., me). Ha!

Now for the fun bit! You can get the pattern on sale for $7 until 11:59pm EST, Monday, March 7. And don't forget to enter the giveaway for a chance to win 2 patterns of your choice, plus 1 yard of Sarah Jane fabric!!

a Rafflecopter giveaway



Here are all the other stops along the tour. Be sure to go and check them all out if you haven't already. Everyone made some really amazing and beautiful Eleenas!!


18 comments:

  1. Who wouldn't want to wear a soft pink dress ;) Even birdies looking for food ;) Your girls come up with the funniest stuff! The tunic turned out gorgeous. I am glad you did not give up on sewing this fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya! And I'm glad I didn't give up either -- but I certainly do not enjoy sewing with slippery fabric, that's for sure! ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your post, Emi! It's cracking me up! The dress that started the war.... LOL Glad it's peaceful again! The dress looks perfect on both of your girls! That's so fun! I love the fabric and how it turned out. So so pretty and flowy. I hope it gets a lot of wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your encouragement, Olga. I don't think I would have made it otherwise! And yes, this dress/tunic will now always been known as "Heleena" in my mind, lol.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it just the best when both girls can wear an item at the same time - minus the war of course haha. Stunning Eleena version number...5?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it might be version 4? Or 5? I stopped keeping track! And yes, I love when both girls can wear the same garment. I love it when something can get a lot of wear -- don't we all ;)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful as usual Emi! Love that fabric...it's probably good for my wallet that it's no longer available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey! It's a really lovely fabric -- so flowy and soft to the touch. It's probably good for me that it isn't available anymore either, haha!

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet dress! I hope it causes more happiness than heartache between your girls down the line. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi! Yes, life is much more peaceful when they are getting along -- even if it means ganging up on me!

      Delete
  6. It's adorable, and your sweet daughter looks so happy in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn! It took me so long to making something with it that I'm happy it turned into something really special.

      Delete
  7. Such a great dress and I LOVE it with the pants! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel! I absolutely adore your version -- so gorgeous!!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful as always ! You already know that I love this fabric !! I've been saving 2 yards of this and the blue one, and 1.5 yard of the pink for two years now :P And I still can't decide what to sew with them ! It has to be THE perfect project (I know you will understand me ;) ) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soso -- you are always so generous with your sweet comments! And I totally understand your feelings about saving precious fabric for the perfect project! Your projects are always, always so lovely and perfect <3

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik