Thursday, May 19, 2016

Crossover Flounce Dress from Designs by Call Ajaire

Fans of One Thimble magazine already know that Issue 11 launched this week. It's a great magazine with lots of tips and articles, and of course, cool patterns by great designers. The latest issue contains the super fun Crossover Flounce Dress from Designs by Call Ajaire.



Ajaire is a fun designer that I have tested for several times, and I was excited for the release of this dress ever since I first saw an early version of it on her website here.

I wanted to capture the celebratory feeling of the launch while still choosing a fabric in colors that I knew my daughter would love (and therefore agree to wear). I thought this cool seersucker fabric from Miss Matatabi looked like it had floating confetti pieces all over it and would be perfect for the happy and summery feel I was going for. It has since sold out (I must have bought it last year?), but there are some other really great fabrics in the shop!


And as for liking the dress, I needn't have worried, of course, because as soon as she saw the flounces, she was sold. Oh, and did I mention this dress is fully reversible? Yes. That.



The challenge was trying to get her to style it according to my vision. And anyone with a toddler (does 5 years old even count as toddler anymore?? Waah) knows that you do not even attempt to argue with your child when it comes to wardrobe selection. 


THAT was her vision, my friends. I guess in some parts of Tokyo it totally works, ha ha.

I made the size 5 for her, knowing that it would be a bit too large, as I usually make the size 4 with size 5 for length. I wanted to make sure she could wear it past the summer, maybe with long sleeves underneath. I guess it's too much to hope that she will still be able to fit into it next summer?



The pattern comes with all the usual Call Ajaire perks (like a very thorough tutorial and illustrations). Here are the details.

Sizes: Newborn to 12 years
Level: Advanced Beginner
Fabric Requirements (woven)
Cap and Long Sleeves
Optional Back Closure
Size Chart & Finished Measurement Chart
Layered Pattern Pieces



Thank you, Ajaire, for a great twirly dress pattern! Maybe next time I can talk her out of the gold polka dot leggings with stripey pink-and-red socks and glittery sandals combination. Or not...

12 comments:

  1. I agree that it is important to let them choose their own accessories so they enjoy wearing the outfit too. Darling dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deborah! Unfortunately (fortunately??), the accessories are becoming more and more important for my big girl, lol!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! Love this dress in that cool textured fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! I really love seersucker for the summertime. It's the perfect fabric.

      Delete
  3. It's so cute! I like her styling, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! Her styling is certainly....um...unique! Haha

      Delete
  4. Ha ha. I cropped my daughters skirt, spotted tights, leg warmers and mismatched socks out of photos recently. Mean me! :)
    That is a lovely dress, of course she likes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hardly say "mean", haha. Just....sometimes it's necessary to make a few edits ;) I think I've just given up trying!

      Delete
  5. The fabric is gorgeous! And I bet she feels like a princess in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva. You said it! I think she did feel like a princess -- hence the ribbon-as-tiara accessory, lol.

      Delete
  6. So dreamy!!! The fabrics are so sweet (I secretly love navy!) and that huge bow looks adorable hahahh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you liked navy! I always associate you with such bright, cheery neon colors! But hey, I'm glad you're in the Navy Appreciation Club, too :)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik