Sunday, May 22, 2016

Top Knot Romper/Dress by Chalk and Notch

When Gabriela of Chalk and Notch announced that she was working on another pattern, it was with great anticipation and excitement that I stalked kept checking her blog and IG posts for updates. Now, there is no way that I need another pattern, but judging from her first pattern, I knew that this next one would be something special. I was not disappointed. 



I keep saying how my girls don't really need any more dresses, but who am I kidding? I love making dresses. And more importantly, my daughters love wearing dresses. The more twirl the better. And this dress has got twirl!

I mean, look at that! What girl wouldn't love that? I love the casual feel of the dress, and the back looks so clean and pretty. I think it can also be dressed up, as there is an option for a maxi dress. Look at Emily'sAfter seeing this beautiful version by Esther, I'm really tempted to make one for myself. It's got that cool, chic Katharine Hepburn vibe. Especially if you go for a romper style without the elastic at the hems for an older girl.

The waistband falls in just the right place for my fussy daughter. She has refused to wear several tops with an elasticated waist that I've made her, so frankly speaking I was a little nervous about this dress. But nope, she LOVED it.


I made the size 4 with size 5 for length following the guidelines in the tutorial. Everything else I sewed according to the pattern. And check out the cuffs! They add a little something special, too, don't you think? The pattern also comes with long sleeves, which I think will be perfect for the colder months. We are heading into summer here, though, so I opted for the short sleeves.

And have you seen the pleats at the shoulder? Mine aren't so noticeable in that pretty Liberty floral fabric, but I think it's another great detail. Oh, and if you're wondering, I used a lovely blue (though to me it looks almost purple) rayon linen blend that I bought from Miss Matatabi nearly a year ago. I loved it so much I bought it in pink, too! It has since sold out, but I think this might be a close match.


 And can I just take a second to point out (rather un-modestly) that I made a real effort (for me, at least!) and changed threads when topstitching at the neckline? Such a small thing but totally worth it. 


I also love how you are instructed to add a bartack stitch at the pockets. It's all these little details about Chalk and Notch's patterns that set them apart. I cannot rave about them enough. I am already looking forward to the third one to come....

So here are the details:

Romper, Dress, or Tunic options with long-sleeve option for all views.
Sizing: 18-24months to 12 years.
Sewing level: Intermediate
Pattern details: No trim, layered pattern.
Tutorial contains illustrations and provides tips on customizing the sizing to fit your child.
US letter & A4 formatting, copyshop A0 size is available too.



You can buy your copy of the Top Knot Romper/Dress/Tunic on the Chalk and Notch website or Etsy or UpCraft Club. The pattern is on sale for USD7.50 for one week -- the last day is Sunday, May 22. 

Also, for those of you who want to make your own top knot to complete the outfit, you can check out Gabriela's post here.

If you're looking for Top Knot Romper or Dress or Tunic inspiration, come join everyone in the Chalk and Notch Facebook group and share your makes, too! Happy sewing!!

12 comments:

  1. Gah, this might be my favorite version of this pattern so far. STUNNING! Way to go for changing your thread, hehe!! And yes, it is such great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mie, you seriously made my week with your kind words!! And yes, I had to change my thread -- What I learnt from Mie, of course! <3

      Delete
  2. Your version is my favorite!!!!!! I want one in my size!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, that is sooooo nice of you to say! And yes, I totally want one in my size, too! In fact, I might have gone through my stash just now to see if I have enough yardage.... ;)

      Delete
  3. Changing threads in the topstitching made a huge difference here. It has honestly never occurred to me to do that - but it looks so much better! Cute dress on your girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Masha. Changing the threads is something I learned from Mie for sure. It would not have occurred to me otherwise. Or, it might have occurred to me, but I might not have done it were it not for her, heh heh.

      Delete
  4. Changing threads always forth it :) I love the little pleats on the front. Liberty (love eyes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mended (some of) my old lazy ways. I will definitely be matching my threads whenever possible! And doesn't Liberty make everything so special? ;)

      Delete
  5. Emi you always out do yourself with the most beautiful fabric choices!!! You are always so sweet to me and more than anything since releasing pdf patterns I have enjoyed "meeting" such lovely people. I am so happy and lucky to get to work with you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela. You have outdone yourself with another wonderful pattern. I feel lucky to have met you and thank you -- for everything! I love this pattern so much. I hope you venture into women's patterns one day!

      Delete
  6. J'adore! Your dress is GORGEOUS! Many thanks, you make my week too! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Esther! I love your dress and I really want to try making one for myself now, lol!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik