Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Top Knot Tour

Wow, I guess it's been a while! I meant to post a couple of weeks ago when I realized that it was the "anniversary" of my first post on this blog, but well...life happens. Anyway, I'm back today to celebrate with a pattern that I absolutely love -- and more importantly, that both my daughters love!


Now it's no secret how much I adore Chalk and Notch patterns. I've made several Fishtail Kimonos for my girls here and here (you can find my pattern "hack" here), and the two Top Knot dresses you see on the blog today are numbers 3 and 4! (You might have seen the first one I made here.) Needless to say, I'm so happy to be part of the Top Knot Tour. 

I tend to do a lot of pattern testing if you haven't already noticed *cough cough.* I test mostly for my older daughter, as I like to make clothes so that both girls can wear them. That said, my younger daughter has cottoned on to the fact that I sew mostly for her sister and has been feeling left out. So what's a mother to do? Sew something for BOTH girls, of course!



Since they are both fans of twirly dresses, I opted to make the dress version again. The dress I made for my little one is an elephant print seersucker fabric (I bought it immediately after seeing Straight Grain An's beautiful dress) that I purchased some time ago from Miss Matatabi (she doesn't have it in stock anymore - a problem I seem to be having when blogging because I'm so slow to sew through my stash - but check out the other seersucker fabric she has here).  
My older daughter's dress is made from fabrics I bought locally. The plaid I bought at Mano Creare about two years ago, intending to make her a shirt (I sort of got there, haha) and the "burnt sienna" and navy cottons I got from the big Japanese craft store Yuzawaya. I had originally made them both seersucker dresses, but then I got carried away and decided to make this one too. 

So. Now for the pictures. I'll start with the seersucker:



The only thing I regret about choosing this print is that you can't see the pleats at the shoulder, which is my favorite part of this pattern. I think you can play around with it so much. You've already seen some pretty ones from Day One. Just wait for the pattern hacks coming up tomorrow!

And here is the other dress:


As you can see, the girls love their dresses. And they love twirling together, too, haha.





A big thank-you goes to the sponsors of the tour!


Be sure to enter the contest for your chance to win!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Also, if you would like a chance to WIN your own copy of the Top Knot pattern (thanks, Gabriela!), leave a comment below telling me which version you are planning to make and what fabric(s) you think you would use. The winner will be chosen randomly at the end of the tour. Good luck! 

But if you still can't wait to get your hands on a copy of the pattern, Gabriela is having a 20% off her shop for the duration of the tour. Use the coupon tkt20, which is good until midnight EST on Friday, July 1st.


Thanks for visiting and happy sewing!

50 comments:

  1. Oooooh Emi! They are beautiful ❤️❤️❤️! And I love those elephants ;)! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the elephants are great! That fabric almost started another war in our house, though, LOL.

      Delete
    2. whoops, those poor elephants ;) lol....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mel. I loved your rompers, too! So cool.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Emi, this is sooo cute. I sometimes need to see your babies' faces. They look so alike... And these dresses - just wow! I'm also in love with your blog design :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bettina! That's what people tell me, though to me they look very different, haha. I guess a mother should be able to tell her daughters apart, right? LOL.

      Delete
  4. This is an adorable sister set. I love the different colours and textures if your fabric choices xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thao. I am loving your hack as well. I've got it bookmarked!

      Delete
  5. There is something so sweet about sisters playing and twirling together, especially in mama made gorgeous dresses 😊 the elephant print is so fun! So I guess you little girl will have more things made for her now πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love when they play together so well. It's all your sewing that you have been doing for your little one, actually, that has convinced me that I need to start sewing for mine, too. <3

      Delete
  6. They are so darling! I have that same problem that by the time I get around to sewing something out of awesome fabric, it's usually out of stock! LOL LOVE Miss Matatabi's fabrics though. You can't go wrong with anything in her shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I love all of her fabrics!!!

      Delete
  7. I love these Emi! I love that seersucker print and the outfits coordinate so beautifully! I also can't stop staring at those bow shoes...just gorgeous! I feel you, my youngest is catching on to her sister getting handmade more often as well. Thank you for your kind words and for join me on this tour! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for having me. This pattern is fabulous, as I can see from all the different versions and hacks. So versatile!!

      Delete
  8. your fabric pairings are so cute! They match, without being too cutesy. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessica! I was hoping they would look as though they sort of matched!

      Delete
  9. Oh Emi, these are perrrrfect!! LOVE the elephants in seersucker. And that plaid. Sigh. So beautiful! And your girls are just way too cute as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! I love love love your hack and definitely want to copy it for my girls!! Now I just need to find the time...

      Delete
  10. Emi, they are both so gorgeous! I am a sucker for seersucker lol. And I love the color combo with the plaids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, awesome Melissa! I am a sucker for seersucker, too, hahaha.

      Delete
  11. The dresses are so pretty! πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ and your girls are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, they are SO sweet and the way you managed to make two completely different fabric combinations match so well is an art form. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie, but I can't really take credit for it. I think it was more a happy coincidence than anything else! LOL. I don't have your genius for colors and matching ;)

      Delete
  13. Such cute dresses - the twirling pics are so fun to watch, and as a girl with a closet full of shoes, can I just say: THOSE BLACK SHOES!!! *love* ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I so want a pair of those shoes for myself, Marie!!

      Delete
  14. Both dresses are lovely! Love how you matched them using completely different fabrics. The elephants fabric is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! I was sort of hoping they would look matching. I guess I got lucky!

      Delete
  15. So cute Emi. Love them both:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suz! I'm hoping they get a lot of wear this summer :)

      Delete
  16. So sweet. Love those elephants too, and I'm almost glad the fabric is now out of stock so I'm not tempted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Toya! I was feeling the same way about your constellation fabric that you used!

      Delete
  17. Love them! Your girls have the sweetest little smiles. I sew more for Ansley for the same reason but capitalize on matching while Ansley is okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I think I need to start doing more "sister style" sewing, haha.

      Delete
  18. Love them both! I think I would make the romper with pants... maybe with a double gauze fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. so darling! I love how you captured such fun shots of the sisters! lovely outfits as always Emi :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Indu! I loved your glamorous version as well <3

      Delete
  20. Ow, they are looking fabulous! So cute! I tend to sew most for the oldest as well, the youngest already has so many items in her closet... Plus, it's SO hard to take bloggable pics of my tiny monster ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Nienke! The little ones just do not stay still for more than a second, it seems!!

      Delete
  21. Wow! Such sweet, girly dresses! Your girl's wardrobe is perfect in every way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They really do love their twirly dresses :)

      Delete
  22. Such lovely dresses both! I love the look of the rompers as well, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the look of the rompers, too. I wish my girls would wear rompers! Maybe someday.... ;)

      Delete
  23. And the winner of the Top Knot pattern (thanks to a really random drawing - i.e., having my daughter pick a name out of a hat) is Diana!! Congratulations, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay!! Thank you very much, can't wait to start sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You alreay know it but I loooove your Top knot dresses ! Especially K's one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Soso! I love your floral one, too!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, sweet Soso! I love your floral one, too!!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik