Friday, July 1, 2016

Havanna Blouse & Shorts - Cali Faye Collection

I have been a longtime fan of Cali Faye Collection's aesthetic. It is classic and chic, and that goes for both the women's and girls patterns. I also like how the patterns are great for everyday styling as well as dressing up a bit, which is the look I sort of went for with the Havanna Blouse and Shorts.



It is a great summertime outfit that combines the best of both worlds: play-ability and twirl-ability. (Are those words? Seems I make up a lot of words for this blog, haha.) 


My girls have a lot of dresses, because well, let's face it, they love twirling and dresses are the best thing for being princesses. And the princess phase seems to be lasting a long, long, long time. Sigh. 

However, this blouse has enough gathering to satisfy any little girl's need to twirl, and you can pair it with jeans for a casual look, or with the Havanna Shorts. Unfortunately, I didn't get any decent photos of the front (I made the buttonhole version as opposed to using grommets in the front), but you can get a good look at the shorts in the listing here. I think you can see that I had a bit of a hard time hemming them so they don't wrinkle/pucker, but perhaps with a different fabric (something with more give) you will not run into the issue I had. You can check out the tester versions here


The bodice is lined, and if you aren't lazy like me, you can enclose the seams and topstitch the main and the lining if you so desire. The pattern is rated intermediate, though an advanced beginner could definitely have a go at it. There are notches to help guide you, and though it is not a layered pattern, there aren't a daunting number of pages to print (and you can print in black-and-white, hurray!).



I opted for the decorative, non-functional buttons, and used different ones for the front and back so that it would be easier for my daughter to dress herself. I made the straight size 5 (sizes 2T-10 are included in the patterns) and found it worked perfectly for her and went over her head no problem. 

I realize that it looks like the middle section looks shorter, but I think it's just the way she's standing. Even though she's not like my wild 3-year-old, she too rarely stays still. In-between all these photos, I can assure you that she was running around and dancing in the rain, which makes it difficult to get a decent picture sometimes...


The fabric I used is a beautiful gauze-rayon mix that I bought in Nippori Fabric Town, but you can also purchase it in Miss Matatabi's new store here. It also comes in a grey colorway, which I find pretty and might have bought for myself. Ahem.  

And speaking of Miss Matatabi, here is another fabric I got a while ago from her shop. It's a Cotton and Steel rayon fabric, and it's so soft and beautiful. I almost don't know why I used it for my daughter rather than keeping it for myself. Ha. 



And yes, that is the selvage you see because the fabric wasn't wide enough to cut the size 5 pattern piece, and because I was too lazy to hem it she couldn't wait to put it on. 



The patterns (Havanna Blouse and Havanna Shorts) are on sale for 30% off with the coupon NEWRELEASE. The coupon is good until July 2, 11:59pm EST. 

Happy Sewing!

16 comments:

  1. Cute! And I love your fabric choice (as always!). hahah, I kinda like the pink version not hemmed .... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Nelleke! And hm, I think I will probably end up leaving the pink version like that... ;)

      Delete
  2. Love it!! I live the selvedge too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Sometimes it's okay to be a bit on the lazy side, right?

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sewing, beautiful pattern, beautiful fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Audrey! I really love it, too <3

      Delete
  4. Oh the colour... Just let me get this off my chest first... That colour takes my breath away <3 Such gorgeous fabric, so light and bouncy. It looks perfect as this blouse. So pretty, so girly, so fun. I too like the pink unhemmed :) At first I thought it was lace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya! I love the color, too. It really is super soft! And hahaha, let's just pretend that the selvage is lace! I like that idea ;)

      Delete
  5. Your girls have the best cloths ;-) <3 love every single thing you do, it's amzing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you! You make such pretty clothes yourself!!

      Delete
  6. ♥♥♥
    Can't wait to sew one for my daughter !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These outfits are so beautiful! That burgundy fabric - swoon. And I love this top pattern; it's different but fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes you are lucky enough to have the perfect fabric in your stash, right? :) I love the blouse, too. I definitely want to make more!

      Delete
  8. Perfection! I adore that rich hue and the cut of that pattern is adorable! Must pin for future reference!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm so late to reply, Kat! Thank you for visiting and reading!! Both my girls love this top and they take turns wearing it now ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik