Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Moiano Coat Tour: Straight Grain Patterns

If you were to look through my girls' closet, one thing would be immediately obvious. Okay, two things. The first: they have SO. MANY. DRESSES. The second: I love Straight Grain patterns. Like bought-them-all, real, true, deep, abiding love. The kind where your face gets all dreamy and you have hearts for eyes. Like that. 


An's clothes are the kinds of clothes that I would want to wear if I were a little girl. Oh, who am I kidding? I would wear them now if she were ever to make adult patterns. But for now I am more than happy sewing for my girls.

This Moiano Coat is another beautiful pattern of hers. I was thrilled that An released a coat pattern, as making more jackets/coats was one of my resolutions for this year. There is something so satisfying about making a coat, and I need all the practice I can get! I was in love with this one as soon as I saw it (sorry, but I will be using the L word a lot in this post). Here is the view I made (image taken from her site):




I decided to make the hooded version because I thought it would work well in a casual fabric, like this cotton dobby butterfly print I found in Miss Matatabi's shop. My girls are all about bugs and butterflies at the moment, so I knew this fabric would not fail to delight. Unfortunately, the beautiful details of this coat have gotten lost in the butterfly fabric. I am also kicking myself for not using any piping. Lesson learned.


She loves it for the hood and the feminine gathered sleeves -- and the lack of pockets and piping didn't seem to bother her (but gosh those buttons are bothering me; gotta fix that). By the way, if you want regular sleeves for the coat, An has an add-on pattern that you can download here.

I really love the back as well. I think the collared version will look sweet in a tweed for the autumn before it gets too cold, but then again, it never gets that cold in Tokyo. Must try that next.


For the lining I chose a mustardy linen (though I realize it looks quite bright in these photos), as a nod to An's exquisite taste. The recommendation is to use a silky smooth fabric to make it easier for your child to get the coat on and off, but I knew she wouldn't be wearing it much with long-sleeved tops/dresses, plus the linen I chose was quite soft (surprisingly, for linen!) so I thought it would be okay. And I think it was, because I got no complaints from my normally sensitive-skinned child. 


Don't mind her grumpy face. Here is what she really wanted to do:


She was very proud of the fact that she'd chosen a red bauble thing for the end of the drawstrings.

And with the leftover fabric, I made a simple gathered skirt using An's tutorial here (except I didn't line mine). Too bad linen wrinkles so much, doh!


Here she is trying to arrange some of the books on the shelf at our local used bookstore. She loves reading and organizing, so I once told her that she should work in a library or a bookshop. For some reason she rejected that idea in favor of becoming a pastry chef. Lol.  


If you haven't gotten the pattern yet, you can use the code MOIANOTOUR10 gives 10% off on the Moiano pattern in her shop.


37 comments:

  1. Your sweet future pastry chef's coat (and skirt) are great! I love the blue/yellow combo (and the small red accents hehe). The back detail is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya! She is very proud of the red accents, ha! I love the back of this coat, too.

      Delete
  2. it's beautiful Emi, love both fabrics <3 forget about the buttons! it's perfect as it is!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always say the sweetest things, Patricia!! Thank you xxx

      Delete
  3. Ohh Emi!!! This must be one of my favourite things you've made so far! A million heart eyes! <3 Love the color combo. Absolutely Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ines!!! That means so much coming from you -- you who make the most beautiful things for your girls!!

      Delete
  4. I must use the L word: I love this coat, the colours are absolutely beautiful! And it really looks good with that touch of red :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! It was one of those situations where I saw them on-screen together and hoped it would work out -- and luckily it did!

      Delete
  5. How very sweet! I love the coat and the skirt too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audrey! I love how easy the skirt was to make :)

      Delete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Your Moiano is just perfect. As you know I just love blue and yellow together. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm so glad the blue and yellow are Annika-approved!! <3

      Delete
  7. I didn't even know linen with prints existed! I had never seen it before, but I love the color and the little dots, and I love the way it combines with the blue outer fabric. Such a gorgeous coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Yes, there are lots of printed linens! At least, there are over here -- you definitely need to check it out! And thank you so much for reading :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, it' s awesome! Really really nice! You make beautiful stuff, totally deserve that spot in An's line-of-awesome-bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mieke. So lovely of you to say!! Thank you for reading <3

      Delete
  9. Wow, this is another stunning version of the Moiano Coat...absolutely stunning! So many lovely details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is the perfect coat pattern, Mie! Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the world :)

      Delete
  10. This is wonderful Emi! The print, the colours, the buttons, beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I took a while planning the fabric and combinations for this one because I really wanted it to be her special coat.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga. You're always so supportive!!

      Delete
  12. That fabrics and colors !! Perfection !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soso!! I hope you will consider making one, too.... You have such exquisite taste!

      Delete
  13. Oeh! Love the coat! It makes me itchy to start sewing a third one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And I hope you do -- you make such beautiful clothes!

      Delete
  14. I think I'm in love... Amazing coat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful coat! I love your colour combination, not to bright at all! An's patterns always look so refined, here's hoping she'll make one for boys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Diana! Her patterns are timeless and beautiful! You might be able to hack this into a boy's jacket if you use the regular sleeves, zipper option, and leave off the pleats, maybe? I think it could work!

      Delete
  16. This is so beautiful. I love your fabric choice (of course! 😉) and it looks just perfect on your daughter.... Maybe for next summer I will give it a try 😃....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nelleke! And yes yes yes you should definitely give this coat a try! The instructions are very good (as they always are with An's patterns) and the illustrations are really helpful.

      Delete
  17. The details on this coat are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi!! An makes the most amazing children's patterns!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! (And thank you for the translation, too!) ;)

      Delete
  19. Oh, Emi, almost missed that one. You made such a beautiful bright coat. Yesterday I discussed doing two winter Moianos with Eveline. Chances are more than good!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik