Monday, July 11, 2016

Top Knot Romper, Tanabata-Style

I can hear you saying it: "You made another Top Knot??" And the answer would be "Yes." Ha!


This is actually the second one I made back in June when I was planning the Top Knots for the tour, because initially I thought it would be nice to have two dresses in seersucker. But then I found different fabric for the tour (plus my daughters both love this dress, so I figured that it wouldn't hurt to have an extra one), and now this dress gets its own post, ha ha.


By now I think I don't need to say much more about how wonderful the dress version of this pattern is since I have made four of them. I will just leave you with a few pictures of this summertime dress. If you want some more Top Knot inspiration, I encourage you to visit the Chalk and Notch site.


My original intention for this fabric was a summery yukata. Apparently I need to pay more attention to fabric requirements when I am buying fabric, because it turns out that I can't get away with just buying 1m of fabric anymore (I think I'd bought 2m of this one, but it still wasn't enough for a yukata). Again, I made a size 5 for my older daughter, and the fit was perfect -- as was the twirl.


I have quite a few happy memories of the summer holidays visiting my relatives in Japan (and some a bit um, embarrassing - like the time I fell into a sewer...but let's not talk about that). There are always lots of fun festivals and events happening over the summer. And oh, the fireworks! It's not just one day, like in the US. There are many nights of fireworks and people tend to get dressed up to watch them. 


Since my older daughter loves dresses and will ONLY wear dresses at the moment, I thought it more practical to make her something she would agree to wear. I made this one last month, and it has already gotten lots of wear (you might already have seen it on IG), so hurray!


If you still haven't gotten your copy yet, you can get it here. Happy sewing!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, for your support Nelleke!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this version, the fabric is so gorgeous and perfect for firework watching!! Thank you so much for sharing!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! We love it, too. It's such a wonderful pattern with so many options for dressing up or going casual. I would like to try a maxi dress version when my girls are a bit older.

      Delete
  3. ohh it's a beautiful fabric and dress! <3 I bet you were a very curious child so I would imagine you had lots of small accidents like that one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Patricia!! More like I was a clumsy child and I was never looking where I was stepping, and hence....plop!

      Delete
  4. The dress looked pretty on the phone screen, but now seeing it on a proper screen I can appreciate the texture. What a pretty, fun, twirly dress :) Well done mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This print is fabulous ! You always find the most beautiful fabrics !

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik