Friday, August 12, 2016

Tea House Top and Dress Tour

When I first started learning how to sew, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would actually make things for myself. At least, not things that I would be able to wear out in public. And by that, I mean that I never thought I would get to the point where I could make myself a real button-down shirt or jeans or even a dress! Though I have a long, long way to go still, I can't believe sometimes that I am sewing for myself. 


Another serendipitous benefit from learning to sew has been the amazing sewing community that I have become part of and the wonderful friends I have made. Nelleke of GAAFmachine is one such friend. It's a funny place, this virtual world, where you "meet" people whom you are not sure you'll have the opportunity to meet in person, and yet you can feel an instant connection - and ta-da! you have great people to chat with about sewing, chocolate, kids, life... 

As you probably read in Nelleke's post from the first day, this fun Tea House Dress Tour began when five friends started talking about a pattern they'd seen from Sew House Seven that we all liked and wanted to sew. And fortunately for us, several others of our friends decided they would join in on the sewing fun!



I attempted a top version first (view D), mainly because I didn't want to commit to making a whole dress for myself with a pattern and designer who was completely new to me. Okay, that's not it at all. Really it was because (let's face it) I was too lazy to cut and paste an adult-sized dress pattern. Good thing I did the top first. 

Turns out it was a little wide without the side ties (I tried the skinny ties and they just didn't look right on me) and the cuffs made the sleeves seem a bit on the long side for me. Maybe my fabric choice wasn't the best either? I used a lightweight voile from Cloud9's Palos Verdes collection, which is beautiful, but maybe not the best choice for this top. In any case, I thought I should bite the bullet and make the dress since that's what I prefer wearing in the summer anyway. Plus I had some linen that I'd had in my closet for a really, really long time. In my favorite color: navy.



Okay, now let me get it out of the way - I just could not do anything about the fading and I didn't have enough fabric to avoid those lines. Gah! I need to learn how to store linen better... Oh, and since my husband was the photographer, he insisted on tying the sash in the back with a bow rather than how it's pictured on the pattern. Okay, I'll stop harping on all the mistakes I see and just say that I really do like this dress. 



It's extremely comfortable and the linen makes it perfect for the hot and humid Tokyo summer. I love how there are no closures so I can just slip it on over my head. I am all about ease and comfort when it comes to my clothing. Especially since having children. 



I made the straight size 0, view B, but no pockets (what?? I know, bad decision on the no pockets). I probably should have brought in the sides a bit more, judging from how the top fit me, but I thought with the addition of the sash it would be okay. Let's not mention that I totally sewed the back pleat wrong and didn't realize it until the dress was finished. Um, yeah. 



Do you like my "Hurry up, husband, it's really hot and I can see the girls leaning over the bridge about to fall into the koi pond out of the corner of my eye!" look? Ha ha. 



The Tea House pattern is on sale until Friday! Use the code TEA25 for 25% off.
I encourage you to visit all the stops on this tour as well as Peggy's blog for inspiration because everyone has made such gorgeous versions of this wonderful pattern! In fact, I am pre-washing some more linen as I type!





August 12th: Made by Sara/Just Add Fabric/Little Cumquat


Don't forget to visit GAAFmachine for a chance to win the pattern and some amazing fabric (6 yards of it!!!). Good luck!

Thanks, Nelleke, for having me on the tour!

45 comments:

  1. ooooh Emi, I love it! That color is so beautiful on you. And you know what, Philip would do EXACTLY the same while taking pictures of me... haha!
    Thank you so much for joining me on this tour, really so wonderful. :) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nelleke, for a wonderful time on this tour! You are the best! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love your version!! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soraia! I love your version, too. I need to make another top now...

      Delete
  3. Ooooh-love this linen version! And the fading looks really cool- ha! It looks purposeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhaha! Thank you, Meg! I'm glad the fading is okay -- or at least that you're nice enough to pretend along with me that it's intentional ;)

      Delete
  4. Both the top and the dress are gorgeous! The lines on the linen don't matter at all, and neither does which way the Pleat is sewn... ;-) The dress is really perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! You are always so sweet! I love your dress, too. I foresee a closetful of these for me...

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! linen is such a nice fabric and paired with this pattern very well. The fading add to the charm of the dress and fabric. You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my friend!! That's what I'll tell myself about the fading, heh heh ;)

      Delete
  6. The navy linen dress is chic and classic. The fading adds character, I actually think it elevates the dress a bit. And I love that your husband has styling preferences for you- ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Masha! And yes....my husband has opinions about everything, sometimes he offers them even when he's not asked, haha!

      Delete
  7. Sorry, I should talk about your creations, but I can't. Really can't. Cause I'm laughing tears. I know that #kidsmightfallintotheabysshoney face. We're like this 🚨🚨🚨 - and the hubbies are more like that 🍺🍺🍺. It's and international concept πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh Bettina, I love you! Best use of emojis ever!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm with Mie on this one! Hahahaha! You are hilarious, Bettina! And I'm so glad you can relate!

      Delete
  8. A linen dress is perfect for summer. I love the shape of this dress. Navy looks great on you :) and the look you are giving your husband is priceless hahahahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenya! I'm so glad I can laugh about it now - but at the time, they were getting dangerously close to the edge, ha!

      Delete
  9. I was wondering how the dress would look in linen. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! It's really comfortable, too, which makes it a winner in my book ;)

      Delete
  10. I really love your dress! It's suits you so well! perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I especially like that there are no closures, yay!

      Delete
  11. The dress looks beautiful on you! The navy suits you well! Such a gorgeous dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Olga! I am a sucker for navy ;)

      Delete
  12. This is gorgeous on you, Emi! Looks so comfy to wear, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby! Yes, it's really comfortable and perfect for the hot and humid summers over here.

      Delete
  13. I don't care what you say....it's PERFECT!!! I'm so happy you decided to keep sewing for yourself (after those two dresses where you didn't like any of them in you). Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! You are too kind - but I'm happy I tried again. I think I might have to make a few more of these. In linen that doesn't have fade lines on it, hahaha.

      Delete
  14. Oh Emi! It's gorgeous in the navy linen! I've been meaning to make a linen version as well but hadn't found the right color. You did a beautiful job and the photos your husband took are beautiful as well. My husband likes to photograph me but our work dynamic doesn't always work out for the best in those situations - you look much more relaxed than I would. As for the back pleat - that is my fault. The pattern has an error on the box pleat. I've been sending corrections out with the patterns however, you may have ordered early before I caught it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Peggy! I love this pattern and cannot wait to make myself more dresses. I'm pretty sure the error is mine -- I checked the top I made and on that one I did the pleat correctly. It was probably just me being not as vigilant the second time round! And regarding my husband-as-photographer...well, it doesn't always work out for us either, haha. I got lucky this time since he was well-rested and in a good mood. ;)

      Delete
  15. Emi! This is just gorgeous! I now want one exactly like this! I might just run to the fabric store to buy me some linen.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marieke, thank you!! And yes, you should definitely get yourself some linen. I loooooove linen and pretty much only wear linen in the summer now.

      Delete
  16. Emi, you look gorgeous in this, the dress really suits you, no need to take it in. Navy is my favourite colour too!!! Hubby did an awesome job, these photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thao! Yay for navy sisters! And I LOVE your dress. It is absolutely gorgeous on you!!

      Delete
  17. oh, I love it!!!! The ties are such a sweet detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi!! I do love the ties. I don't know what I was thinking leaving them off the top! Next time I make another top, I am definitely doing the ties.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to come and read & comment, Emily!! xxx

      Delete
    2. So beautiful! Love your version. I also love easy to put on dresses. This patterns just keeps getting better and better!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Diana! Easy to wear dresses are the best! It's almost like wearing your pajamas out -- except you look much more polished, haha!

      Delete
  19. Love it Emi! You can't go wrong with a navy linen dress and yours is beautiful. Bummer about the fade lines, but by the time its been washed and line dried a few times there will be more, for sure. It will just look worn in.
    I read your expression more as : The kids are about to fall in the koi pond and no way am I rescuing then in my GORGEOUS shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley, for looking on the bright side of things. And after wearing it around my kids, I'm sure it will look worn in very quickly, ha! I love your comment regarding my shoes -- in fact, I always love your comments. You're hilarious xxx

      Delete
  20. Hi Emi,

    Beautiful work and fabric choice! I'm curious whether you used the finished garment measurements or your body measurements to choose the dress size? I'm trying to decide whether to choose the size 0 or my suggested body measurements size (6); the size 0 still has many inches of ease in the finished garment measurements, and I don't know whether I would be happy with all of the ease in the size 6. Your dress fits wonderfully and I'd love to know whether you sized down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janie, I'm sorry for the delay in responding! I used my body measurements to choose the dress size. I am usually an XS (occasionally XXS) based on my chest size, which is around 29.5", though my hips often put me in the S range at 33.5". I thought there would be enough ease in this dress to go with the size 0, which is what I ended up making (there was no sizing down from there, so I had no choice ;) ). I found that the bodice was a bit too wide without the sash, as you might be able to see in the photo of my top. I hope this helps, and hope you share your dress once it's made!

      Delete
  21. Sooo beautiful Emi... The colour, the linen, the pictures, YOU... Absolutely perfect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soso!!! I feel that way when I see your makes. You're the best! xxx

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik