Thursday, September 1, 2016

Pattern Testing: Ruffle Dress by Lolah

As soon as I saw the very sweet Ruffle Dress from Lolah Patterns, I couldn't help myself. I knew I had to make one for my daughter because, well, look at that flounce! There are two options, the small and the big. And, being American (as my husband would joke), of course I had to "go big." Hahaha. 


The pattern has not been released yet, but Sam has several in the works and they are all very cute! You can see them on the website. Okay, so, the dress.


Sorry about the half-standing/half-sitting pose. She's become very jokey with me lately when I try to take pictures, and I've decided that I'm just going to have to go with what I get. 


I made the straight size 5, although with my daughter's chest measurement, I know I should have gone with a size 4. My excuse is that I wanted her to be able to wear it for a bit longer than just this summer, which is basically over now. I think it would look pretty cute with a long-sleeved turtleneck underneath for the autumn/winter, don't you?


The dress is fully lined, yay! I have to admit, though, that I had the hardest time finding something in my stash that was soft enough for a lining but would still match the floral. I am still trying not to buy any new fabric. (Except when I bought that Liberty that was on sale. That doesn't count, right?) 

I settled on this pretty double gauze that I bought online a couple years ago from Hinodeya on the Japanese site Rakuten. I liked it so much that I bought it in several color ways, in fact. Ah, those were the days. The days when I was building up my stash. When I didn't even know that the word "stash" could apply to fabric, ha! 


The main fabric is a gorgeous cotton-rayon blend I bought from Miss Matatabi and I only needed 1m for this dress! It is still available, too. I love it so much that I really, really, really want to buy more. To make something for myself this time. Like a flutter-sleeve blouse. Maybe the Tip Top


The back closes with a single button, so for those of you who are still zipper-shy, it's very easy. I chose to use elastic instead of making the loop, but there are instructions on how to make it. The dress came together very easily, and I can see myself making another one for the spring. I think the sleeves make it a perfect candidate for some lightweight lawn or voile, and because it is lined you don't have to worry about it being see-through. 



You might have noticed that the neckline is a bit high, which will be lowered for the final version. Sam is still working through the pattern as I type, and there will be some changes to make the pattern even more fabulous. Yay!

If you want to see a gorgeous version in knit (scuba!), visit Trine's blog here. It's absolutely beautiful, and now I want to make one in knit, too :) 

Thanks for the pattern, Sam! Looking forward to the launch of your website! 

9 comments:

  1. I would say this dress you made is an absolute stunner! And the fabric..the fabric is sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Flavia! I'm glad you like the dress. :) I do love the fabric - I can't say enough about it!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! The fabric is sooo pretty! πŸ’•πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga! I'm in love with the fabric, too.

      Delete
  3. Go big hehe Well, you did, and you did great :) Gosh I love this fabric! Well done pairing it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Jenya! Well, I had to keep true to my upbringing, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me too, Eva! Me too!! (virtual high-five!)

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I missed this post. Gaaah, this is so cute :). That flower fabric! Yes, you need to make yourself a top out of it, that will be great on you Emi :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik