Thursday, October 27, 2016

Living Skirt Art - A Skirt Fixation Series

I am participating in the Living Skirt Art series hosted by Skirt Fixation, and I couldn't be more excited about it!

When Audrey asked if I would be interested in being a part of this series, I wanted to get started right away. I considered doing something traditional, which would have been great fun, but I wanted to go modern for this one. The artist who immediately came to mind was Amy Duarte. I first became aware of her work through my sister. Let me give you a few details about Amy, because she is really quite amazing.

Amy began her career as an artist working for Walt Disney Animation Studios. From there, she leapt into the world of visual effects and graphic arts on more than 30 feature films including “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End,”  “The Amazing Spiderman,”  “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.” Born in Jakarta, Indonesia, and raised in three different countries, Amy is fluent in five languages and an avid polo player. She was also on the design team that created the top secret commercial for Apple’s iWatch before the product was launched. As her visual effects experience grew, so did her side business – Amy Duarte Designs – where international clients seek her artwork and design style to grace their lives, especially in their business and homes. She can be reached at www.amyduarte.com.


Amy has so many wonderful illustrations that it was hard to choose just one. In fact, I thought it would be fun to do a whole series based just on her illustrations! That said, I was especially drawn to "Bianca Mouse." I love that the girl is sitting outdoors, barefoot yet wearing a hat, and dressed the way my daughters would probably dress if they were playing outside with a mouse.



I didn't want to re-create the illustration exactly, because that's not really my style (as you might have seen from my World Book Day post). I wanted to capture the mood of the illustration while choosing fabrics that were a reflection of my taste -- and that of my daughter's. So I looked for polka-dot, floral, and stripe fabrics in my stash, but changed the color scheme.


Both of the patterns I used for this outfit were from Japanese Sewing books. The bolero comes from this book, pictured on the cover (pattern L). If I am honest, that bolero is the reason why I bought the book in the first place. It just took until now to make it, ha! 



I made the size 115cm for my daughter lengthened to the size 125cm just because I like it better longer (she wears size 4 with 5 for length in most pdf patterns). The top layer might have draped better if I had used a lighter weight knit, but I'm okay with it. I really love how it looks with the Art Gallery Library Gardens floral by Amy Sinibaldi. I used woven bias tape rather than making my own from knit, which is what the book suggests doing. I still think it worked out fine anyway. 



My daughter insisted on doing a flat lay of the bolero. Haha, this way you can catch a glimpse of the pretty peach bias tape I used on the inside.


And now for the skirt:




It's a simple tiered skirt that I got from this book (it was one of those gems that I found at the used bookshop, yay). I've never attempted a skirt like this before, and while it isn't a challenging pattern at all, I wished that the book provided the (side-to-side) width measurements for each piece, as it looked like it didn't run the full selvage-to-selvage width judging from the cutting diagram. Plus I had to cut a total of 9 rectangles, I think. But no matter, I thought, it would just mean a bit more gathering. 

A bit more? What was I thinking? Argh. The gathers. As you can see above, the skirt has an amazing twirl factor. But as you can also surmise, that was a heck of a lot of gathering. Especially for someone who is lazy not too fond of gathering.




But once I'd finished, I felt it was worth the smile on my daughter's face. I wasn't sure what she was happier about -- the toy mouse that I finally let her play with or the twirly skirt. 



I hope you enjoyed my interpretation of the artwork, and if you're interested in seeing Amy's other wonderful and sweet illustrations, please do visit her website or her IG account. She often shares touching stories behind her artwork, which make them even more special.

Thank you, Audrey, for allowing me to participate in this wonderful series. If you want to see what she made for the Living Skirt Art series this month, you can visit her blog here.

18 comments:

  1. Emi this is so darling! It's wonderful that you finally made some patterns you were holding on to. I know what you mean about gathering, I always feel the same way...but forget how much I dislike gathering when I start a new project! Thanks for participating in my series in such a sweet way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, I'm so sorry that it took me this long to reply! Thank you so much for having me - I love this series so much and was so honored to be a part of it.

      Delete
  2. Emi!!!! This is STUNNING!!! How I love this outfit and your interpretation of the artwork. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie!! I'm so happy you like it! It's one of my favorite things to do with sewing, I think :) And I'm psyched that I can participate in Sew Japan with this one.

      Delete
  3. I love the clean lines of the illustration you choose. I think you did a fantastic job on your interpretation and now your daughter has a skirt that she can wear again :) Best, Farrah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Farrah. I was so happy to be a part of this with you. I loved your skirt so much!

      Delete
  4. Ph Emi, I love this look. I think you have captured the feeling of a beautiful illustration and stayed true to your and you little one's taste for sure. I can see why she liked it do much. That, and the mouse 🐭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenya! The mouse was an integral part of this re-creation. I don't think my daughter would have been happy without it, haha.

      Delete
  5. You perfectly captured the feel of the artwork! I really really really love your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eva! I have been following this series for a while, so I was really happy to participate in it. <3

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! I had so much fun with this one.

      Delete
  7. what a lovely drawing and a sweet recreation of a scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi. I really love Amy's illustrations, so I was really excited when she gave me permission to use one.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. Love that bolero, and although tiered skirts are lots of work, they are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marisa. I love the bolero too. I don't know why it took me so long to make one (actually, I think I was stumped on the fabric for a long time). And yes, though I won't be making another tiered skirt for a while, they are totally worth it!

      Delete
  9. It's so cute Emi ! Love your interpretation of this illustration ! And you photos are beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this outfit. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik