Thursday, October 6, 2016

Tulip Dress

I have loved the Tulip Dress ever since I first laid eyes on it, and was thrilled when Eva and Katrien asked me if I would be interested in looking over the English translation of the pattern and participating in their tour. Would I!!!

I was so excited to be part of the launch of their pattern in English, as I had been avidly following the launch of their pattern on IG (here and here) and loving every dress I saw. For people like me, who prefer rely on instructions to take them through a pattern (well, mostly), the promise of an English translation was welcome news.


First let me give you the details, taken from the website:

There are two tulip-shaped petals that overlap on the chest, and a gathered skirt that peeks from underneath them. The pattern gives you the option to choose between a top or a dress version and a closure with a hidden zipper or buttons. Detailed instructions and step-by-step pictures guide beginners and experienced seamstresses smoothly through the sewing process.
The file includes:
– The pattern in sizes 12m, 18m, 1y, 2y, 3y, 4y, 5y, 6y, 7y, 8y, 9y and 10y.
– Option to print at home (A4 or letter size) or in a copyshop (A0 format).
– Option to print only the size(s) you need.
– Printing table that indicates which pages to print.
– Detailed instructions and step–by–step pictures.
– Information about fabric choice, yardage, measurements.
– Summary of instructions for experienced seamstresses.



I went with a straight size 5 with the button closure for my older daughter. She is usually a size 4 with 5 length, but I thought for this pattern and sizing, she would be better off in a size 5. And she can still wear it as a top when she grows taller, hurray!


I love the crossing tulip "petals" that make up the bodice so much. Originally I had planned to go with piping as the tutorial suggests, but since I had no yellow piping at home (and let's face it, I am too lazy to make my own piping), I turned to the next best thing I had. Pom pom trim. Um, yeah. Maybe I should have made my own piping.

Dear readers, I think this might be the first and last time I will use pom pom trim. It is not my friend. I basted it first so that I could make sure it wouldn't slip around while I sewed the front and lining pieces together, and I also used a zipper foot to ensure relative accuracy. But still it just wasn't...quite...right. So then I asked for help on IG and got some good advice (thank you, sewing friends!), but I think in the end it's just me. But meh, I'm no perfectionist so I figured I could live with it. I ended up topstitching it in place so that there wouldn't be any anger management issues arising after I washed the dress, haha. 


I knew that I wanted to use really lightweight fabric for the petals because so many layers would be sewn together at some point. I figured regular cotton would be fine for the skirt part, so I took out the fabric that I was originally going to use as lining for my Gabriella's winter coat and tried to think what I could pair it with. Then I remembered the double gauze that I had dyed in the workshop I talked about in my Petit a Petit post. Perfect!


I didn't want to deal with fiddling with a zipper while working with double gauze (are you sensing a theme with my sewing yet? haha), so I went with buttons. Of course I was kicking myself by the time I got to the point where I actually had to put in the buttonholes. Fortunately, my machine took pity on me and I didn't have to unpick any this time, oh joy! 


The Tulip Dress and Top pattern is for sale for 8€ here. There is also a 10% discount with the code HAPPYTULIP. The code is valid until October 9, so make sure to get your copy in time!



There are so many beautiful tulip dresses and tops on this tour that I know you won't want to miss a single post!

18 comments:

  1. So sweet! I love your pom pom trim. Your girls are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suz! I love your Tulip top so much - your piping is so perfect!

      Delete
  2. I am sorry but I couldn't help it but giggle at your struggle with pom pom trim. I was in the same boat last summer and boy I could just visualise you trying every trick possible to get it to work like I did 😆 the thing is, the end result looks worth the effort. I am glad you decided to use buttons, they look pretty. Love the dress 👗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you understand what I went through with the pom pom trim, Jenya! I really don't know that I want to go through that again, haha. I think next time I will stick with piping. ;)

      Delete
  3. Pom pom trim is something coming straight from heaven. Trust me, I struggled with it since I'm sewing. As I said before - looking good to me, your trim, dearest Emi :D So stop fussing and enjoy your (another!) beautiful make. I'll send you my measurements in the next days so you can make ME a tulip :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are hilarious, Bettina! And if even you struggle with pom pom trim, then I think I need to take a deep breath and calm down ;) Thank you for your kind words, dear friend!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I haven't seen this dress with a button closure in the back before. What a stunning detail...adding to all the other stunning details this dress features. And yeah, I have never sewn with pom pom trim but I can lively imagine...gah. It looks absolutely perfect though, so at least there is that! Beautiful dress overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! I do love all the details of this dress pattern. There is so much "scope for the imagination" I think. Just maybe not pom poms next time, haha.

      Delete
  5. This double gauze bodice must be such a pleasure to wear! Your Tulip reminds me of the Netherlands, the homeland of the tulip flower, with it's colors being exactly the colors of their flag. Thank you so much for all of your kindness and helpfulness Emi! 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva! I would have loved to say that I had the colors of the flag in mind when choosing my fabrics, but I have to admit it is just a lucky coincidence. It's such a wonderful pattern you ladies made, and thank you so much for letting me be a part of your tour!

      Delete
  6. Emi, it's just perfect, so yes, like Bettina mentioned, stop fussing ;). I love this dress, and being Dutch, I love the colors you used LOL ! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet and supportive, Nelleke. And I am really glad you approve of the colors, hahaha!!!

      Delete
  7. This is such a gorgeous version of the Tulip! Love the colors and the pom pom trim! Glad you used it. :) :D :D (It is tough to sew, you're right!) For a first time it looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement, Sara! Coming from a real pro, I feel so happy to hear/read them. I absolutely love your beautiful Tulip, too. xxx

      Delete
  8. Great dress! The pom-pom trim looks adorable on it. (I DO know what a pain it is to attach!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen!!! For your kind words and for your empathy!! ;)

      Delete
  9. Love your tulip Emi! I used pom pom trim a few years ago, and worse still, on a knit fabric, so I can totally imagine your struggle :) But, from here, it looks perfect, so great great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! Pom pom trim on a knit!? I don't even want to go there, haha. And thank you so much!!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik