Monday, November 28, 2016

Modified Waterfall Raglan

I sewed another Waterfall Raglan for my daughter! (I know, I know, I'm addicted.) But this one is a little different...

 


As soon as I saw the dress that Gabriela made for her daughter here, I knew I had to head over to the Raspberry Creek Fabrics shop to get some for myself. Erm, for my daughter, I mean. Okay, who am I kidding. Maybe for myself, too. 

It's the adorable Meadow Dreams Pure fabric from the Hello Ollie collection by Bonnie Christine for Art Gallery Fabrics. I love her designs!


When my daughter saw this fabric, she was delighted. She loves the blinking eyes and pronounced it "really funny and cute." It also satisfied the recent requirement that anything I make for my girls be "fluffy." Ever since I made the first Waterfall Raglan, she had been asking for another, so I figured it was time.


I had been wanting to make poufy sleeves after making the first one, and so I consulted with Gabriela (thank you!) and set about making a muslin. I cut up the sleeve pattern piece into about 6 pieces (I think!), spaced them out by about 3/4" and retraced the pattern. I'm no pattern hacker, but I think it still turned out okay. However, it still didn't quiiiiiiiite have the lovesick romantic poet writing sonnets to his lady love look that I was going for. Haha. 


My lovely tester friends in the Waterfall group were really helpful on this one (thank you for the advice, Esther and Cassandra!). So I went for it and widened the sleeve even more at the bottom and the top and added a wide cuff. And I am quite happy with this version. 

But more importantly, my daughter is happy with it. See? She wouldn't even let me take out the gathering stitches before we took photos. Oh wait, you didn't need to know that. Ooops. 


This top is actually part of an outfit I am sewing for the Petit a Petit Sewing Block Party, but you will have to wait to see the rest of it. I'll be joining the fun at the After Party in early December ;)

See you soon!

10 comments:

  1. I love how cool this turned out! I'm going to have to try this hack too!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I'm definitely making more of this pattern. She also wants a dress in her favorite unicorn fabric, haha.

      Delete
  2. Fluffy hehehe Well, I think it is romantic and charming and girly (which I guess falls under fluffy). Looking forward to the reveal of the rest of the outfit :) Now if you don't mind I might go make another Waterfall raglan for my daughter hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an addictive pattern, isn't it, Jenya! I've loved practically every single version I've seen!

      Delete
  3. Emi, I love this one. One of my Waterfall favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Olu! And I'm doubly excited because it's not even grey, lol. But it is monochrome, I guess? ;)

      Delete
  4. It's so cute Emi !! Love your last photo ! She has your smile :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soso. That's funny you should say so because I only see my husband when I look at her :)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik