Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Waterfall Raglan from Chalk and Notch

It's not often that I sew for both my girls at the same time. But some patterns are just that good...


When I first saw the Waterfall Raglan by Chalk and Notch posted here on IG (and then the dress version here), I was in love. And so were my girls. My older daughter requested the top, so I was more than happy to oblige, as it made a nice change from making her dresses all the time.



My younger daughter is all about "fluffy" dresses these days, which in toddler-speak translates into knits. When I saw that this raglan dress also had twirl factor, I knew that it would be a win. 



We are heading into colder weather now, so I opted for the long-sleeve version for her as well. 



Here are some details about the pattern, from the Chalk and Notch website

Size Range: 12 months to 12 years

Sewing Level: ADVANCED BEGINNER

The Waterfall Raglan pattern offers two views.
View A: Top
View B: Dress
* Both Views have 3 sleeve lengths and an optional pocket.


Pattern Details: The Waterfall Raglan pattern includes illustrated sewing instructions, clickable table of contents and measurements listed in both imperial and metric. The pattern offers layered size options so you can choose only the size/sizes you would like to print. It is formatted for US letter and A4 users. The pattern is a standard trim and tape pattern. Print shop copies are included in both US and A0 size and also offered layered printing.


I made the straight size 5 for my older daughter, as I thought the roomy fit of the top would be fine without making her usual size 4 with 5 length. I did have to shorten the sleeves a bit, as we are prone to some T-Rex-ish arms in our family (plus I was adding the lace bias to the ends rather than folding the hem and stitching).



I made the size 4 with no alterations for my little one who has grown out of size 3 (already!). For both girls, I used the "Magic Folk" in navy knit, designed by Sarah Jane. It's soft and lovely and a dream to sew with. And who doesn't love unicorns?? 


I bought the fabric from one of my new favorite shops (my go-to for knits), Raspberry Creek Fabrics, who is one of the sponsors of the great giveaway that you can find at the end of this post. When I discovered the shop, it was one of those "Where have you been all my sewing life??" moments.



Unsurprisingly, after seeing the dress that I made for my little one, my big girl requested a dress, too. Luckily I have some of the pink Unicorn Forest fabric washed and prepped.



The Waterfall Raglan is on sale for USD7.50 in the Chalk and Notch Shop here and on Etsy here through Monday, November 14th. You can also purchase it on the UpCraft Club site here

I might have mentioned before what a huge fan I am of Chalk and Notch patterns. I have made several versions of each one, and my girls have been happy with them all. Can you believe that this year marks the 1-Year Anniversary of the shop? Woo hoo!



To celebrate, there is an amazing giveaway! All the details are in this post on the Chalk and Notch website (and the round-up post is here). Enter here:

a Rafflecopter giveaway


I know you won't want to miss all the other beautiful Waterfall Raglans by these talented bloggers: 




22 comments:

  1. I really like the look of both the top and the dress that you made for your girls :) The fabric is so dreamy! You can't beat knits in the comfort department, but when a comfy knit outfit has an awesome twirl factor... ;) And of course, there had to be a little bow ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jenya! Knits are taking the lead in my girls' closet, so I think I'm going to have to start sewing with them more now ;)

      Delete
  2. Both versions are so cute ! Love the fabric and the little details you added ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Soso! You are always the sweetest.

      Delete
  3. I love your versions!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So feminine and graceful with the lace and bow. Your versions are beautiful Emi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Indu. I always love seeing your makes, too xxx

      Delete
  5. My girls would flip over that fabric! Thank you so much for your help and support, it means more to me than you know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela! I am so grateful to you -- I have learned so much testing for you (and chatting with you, too) <3

      Delete
  6. Love both your versions SO much! Pattern, fabric and details are perfect! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! It is such a wonderful pattern, like of all the Chalk and Notch patterns <3

      Delete
  7. They're both gorgeous! I am really crushing on everyone's tops though! I will have to make some long sleeved ones for my girls when it gets cooler :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke! I'm loving all the versions I've seen of this top/dress, too! I'm sure your long-sleeved ones will be gorgeous.

      Delete
  8. This is amazing fabric! I really love the print! Both are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This fabric is really lovely. So pretty and soft, AND great to sew with!

      Delete
  9. Sew cute Emi!! I love your little extra details to add something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cassy! I love your sewing, so I'm thrilled you like these xxx

      Delete
  10. I love them both. And your dress looks extra twirly ����. Now I need to get my hands on those unicorns ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Coco! You definitely need to get this unicorn fabric!!

      Delete
  11. So very lovely! Unicorns....and twirl.... and lace... and cute girls! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marieke! Unicorns and girls and twirl -- well, you can't beat that combination, right? ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik