Saturday, December 10, 2016

Itch to Stitch Holiday Blog Tour

You know how there are those people who, when they ask if you're interested in doing something with them, you don't even have to think twice? Well, make that TWO such people, and you have me on the Itch to Stitch Holiday Blog Tour!


What in the world am I talking about?


Leslie of ThreadBear Garments and Fleurine of Sew Mariefleur are two women whom I admire greatly, not just for their sewing but as genuinely sweet and inspiring people. It's no surprise they are hosting this tour together. Put that with the patterns of Itch to Stitch, and you are sure to have a winner. Or, at least, usually you WOULD have a winner. Unless it involves me and my wonky sewing....


My daughter makes this same face after she's done something she shouldn't have and is trying to pretend like nothing happened.
Haha I don't need to wonder where she gets it from. 
I had been following the Itch to Stitch pattern releases ever since I first saw the Jacqueline Hoodie, which seemed so intimidating to me back in the day with all those buttons plus a zipper. Choosing a pattern for the tour was going to be tough, but in the end I settled on the Marbella Dress, which I have wanted to sew ever since it was released. There is something about the simple elegance of it that appeals to me. I love the boat neck and the tulip skirt, and I definitely could use something nice for school events and a party or two. Besides, who doesn't love a little black dress? I could see this one as an interpretation of the knee-length party dress Audrey Hepburn's character wore in "Breakfast at Tiffany's." You know, when she wears that big hat with the ribbon on it. 



Hahaha, I am SO not even close to being as chic as the elegant Ms. Hepburn.


I mean, you would never see Audrey Hepburn looking at her dress, going, "Hm, did I spill something on myself at lunch...?"
One of the things that puts me off sewing for myself is the need for an SBA. If you know me at all, you will know that I am lazy. Sorry, no changing that about myself now. Too old, ha. So the fact that this pattern comes with different cup sizes (including an A cup!!) made me do a little happy dance. I looked at the measurements and figured that I would throw caution to the wind and jump right in without making a muslin. What?!?!? I know. First mistake.



I am smaller than an A cup, actually. A fact that I often choose to ignore, but fabric doesn't lie. You can't see it so well in the pictures above, but I should have adjusted for my actual bust size or else made the effort to dig out my padded bra, hahaha.


Since I was making this dress in a lovely ponte knit from Style Maker Fabrics, I thought I would go without the lining. I struggled a bit with the bias tape under the arms, but we made peace in the end. Where I really had a tough time was with the blind hem. Gah. Have I mentioned before that I am terrible at hand sewing and avoid it like the plague? I don't know why I thought I could do a blind hem by hand without practicing first. I don't even want to show it to you. I showed it to a friend, who is often too nice to say anything remotely negative, and even she cringed (sorry to hurt your eyes, Olga!). The problem was probably exacerbated by the fact that I had neglected to shorten the skirt to the appropriate length, so I had quite a lot of fabric to fold up and hem. (Don't worry. I cut it later and fixed it.)


This is me saying, "No way am I showing you the back of this dress because after taking the photos, I saw that I had a huge white mess on the back." Thanks for telling me about it, daughter of mine. But I think she can be forgiven since she did a decent job on the photography (she took all but the first 4 photos, which were taken by my husband).
I knew I wanted to make a jacket as well, as I seem to have a jacket obsession judging from all the RTW jackets in my closet, and the Salamanca Jacket was one I'd had my eye on for some time. Upon Michelle's advice, I decided the jacket should be the focus of the outfit. She suggested I use this beautiful, shiny metallic stretch crepe and it was perfect. 



I foolishly didn't think about getting lining from her, though if I had, I would have gone with this. Instead I found some navy lining at a local shop, and ta-da!  



I did the crazy thing and didn't muslin this one either! I shortened the sleeves a bit, figuring that I would need to because I'm forever finding sleeves to be too long. Turns out I didn't really need to, but I think I can still get away with it. 



The pattern also calls for buttons, but I didn't want any showing on the front, sort of like a Diane von Furstenburg sparkly cropped linen jacket I bought years ago. I also like how it looks better open. I think, though, the next time I make this jacket, I will go up one size. Here I am, attempting a twirl, haha.



If you've seen some of the amazing looks on this tour, I know you will be like me and want to sew all the patterns! So, good news: you can use the discount code "holiday16" for 16% off ITS patterns! The discount runs December 3rd - December 12th, Midnight CST.
And more good news: $5 domestic (US) shipping on all fabric from Style Maker Fabrics, no code needed! There's a discount for international shipping as well!


Thank you so much for having me, Kennis, Leslie and Fleurine! Be sure to visit the other ladies for more holiday sewing inspiration!


ITCH TO STITCH HOLIDAY BLOG TOUR 2016
DECEMBER 6th
DECEMBER 9th
DECEMBER 10th

19 comments:

  1. You look so lovely! Love the dress, I think it fits you great! It's not obvious that it's a bit big in the bust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emi you look gorgeous...I don't even know what you are talking about?? That dress really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great look on you. And as a fellow lazy person who's hopeless at hand sewing, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emi you are so cute! Love your new outfit! (OH, and I pay my daughters to do my hand sewing...I"m hopeless!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hand sewing?! What is that? Blind hems? :) Really, I'm somewhat lazy-ish too when it comes to sewing for myself. The other part is terrified. I'm scared I'll put a ton of time into a project only for it not to fit. Not due to pattern but to my own sewing mistakes I'm sure to make.

    Your dress looks lovely. I love your Audrey references as I think of Kennis as being a modern day Audrey. Always so classy and its visible in her patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassy! I'm so glad that you understand my laziness (though there is no way I would ever classify you as lazy!!). And I totally agree about Kennis. She always does look so elegant in her photos. :)

      Delete
  6. Your outfit is great! The perfect little black dress and the sheen on the jacket is really lush! I agree on hand-sewing... ick! Have you tried a blind hem by machine? Changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Meg! Yes, I need to get used to using my machine for blind hems. I've done it once and it put me in such a sweat. But still way better than doing it by hand!

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this so much! I laughed and nodded to myself at so many things you mentioned like being lazy, no muslins, and no hand stitching! I'm with ya! All that aside, I loooove what you made! I think they both look fantastic on you. You are the absolute best and I can't wait to meet you someday so I can hug you and give you a high five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Les! I think you are so awesome - thank you again for having me on this tour and I am counting on meeting you one day, too! It will be a total parteeeeeeee!

      Delete
  8. I'm with Meg - give blind hem a go! It is a little tricky at first to work out what needs to be turned etc, but the result is fab! Love the outfit Emi. The dress and the jacket look so nice together! I am not a tulip skirt girl but I see the dress comes with a semi-circle skirt. That and the fact I can (hopefully) avoid SBA makes me very interested in this dress! My girls' wardrobes are getting full now while I have nothing to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you should go for the semi-circle skirt! I would have done it myself, but when I ordered my fabric I had forgotten about this option so tulip skirt it was, haha. Can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  9. According to me, you're quite close to the Hepburn elegance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Eva, you are the sweetest! That is like the ultimate compliment <3

      Delete
  10. Oh you are so beautiful! And funny! The second picture is just stunning! It looks like the dress fits well! And the jacket is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Emily. You are always so kind and supportive. I think if I look at this dress as a wearable muslin, the next one should fit quite well. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The silhouette of this dress fits you so well ... you look lovely in it. and I loved reading your post what a delightful sense of humour

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik