Friday, December 2, 2016

Madeit Fashion Week 2016

I never thought I would ever be part of any Fashion Week -- let alone one for the super cool Madeit Patterns -- but here I am. And to celebrate I even put on my fancy mustache. Olu has all the details and the blogger line-up here.


For someone who was always behind the times (you do not want to know how I dressed in junior high), the fact that I am now making such fashion-forward clothes seems so crazy. Just ask my sister. Okay, maybe don't do that. She knows too much. 


This first version of the Drop Top is my test version, and though the neckline is a bit wonky due to my lack of experience with such a drapey knit, I still love it. I was pleased that my seamstress mom was impressed with the top (though maybe not so much with my sewing, haha!). 


Thanks to my mom, who took the two photos above, I have rather "powerful" upper arms and shoulders for my size, so I used the bicep adjustment in the tutorial and it did wonders for how the top fit on me. Other than that, I made the pattern in the size XS according to the instructions, and it fits very comfortably. Best part? It's such a quick sew.

For the show, I wanted to make a fun, holiday version with a bit of pizazz. While I was mulling over fabric choices, I received my order from Style Maker Fabrics with lots of goodies inside. If you sew for yourself and you haven't visited the shop before, I urge you to head over there. Like now. See what I mean? I love practically everything in the shop, but the Metallic Twill Weave Ponte Black/Silver caught my eye. Maybe this could work?


It was difficult for me to capture exactly how this lovely fabric sparkles and shines. I apologize for these weird indoor camera selfies. Maybe it's time to invest in a tripod and stick to outdoor photography, haha. 

For your entertainment, you get these awkward Emi-pretending-to-be-on-the-catwalk photos.



I think I need to work on my Blue Steel pose. I look like I'm trying to get water out of my ear. 


Now you might have noticed that this fabric doesn't drape as well as the first one I made. Well, my advice is (after having unpicked both sleeves) that if you are planning to stubbornly disregard the instructions and sew with a ponte knit that doesn't have much stretch, you should probably baste the sleeves first before you commit to sewing them.


These outdoor photos show the fabric color better. As my husband was away and my mom back in the States, I turned to my other reliable family member: my 5-year-old daughter (my 3-year-old still cuts off my head sometimes or decides that pictures of leaves on the ground are more interesting than her mother). 

With the exception of a few blurry ones, I think she did a good job. I had wanted to find an interesting backdrop for these photos, but the cold weather combined with my daughter's foot injury meant I couldn't go with my original plan. So here I am standing in the parking lot of somebody's apartment complex. 


Okay, so now for the fun part. The giveaway!



If that weren't exciting enough, Madeit Patterns is offering 20% off in the shop during Madeit Fashion Week with the code MFW2016. Go on. I know you want that Groove Dress, too. 


Thank you, Olu and Anna, for having me on this tour with some pretty fabulous ladies! Thanks for visiting and happy sewing!

17 comments:

  1. You look totally stunning! I so want this pattern - I really think I need to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a hoot! Getting water out of your ear 😂😂😂. Whatever! I think you look fabulous and I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emi you had me giggling away through your post. 'Trying to get water out of my ear'. I really, really like the 'pretending-to-be-on-the-catwalk' photo. Work it girl!

    Thank you so much for being part of Madeit Fashion Week. You look amazing in understated way in your Drop Top.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! One of my favourite color, works always :D Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Love the colour of your top! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!
    And yes, water in your ear, that's so annoying ;) hahah lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so beautiful! Love the top and the sparkly fabric! So so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fabulous!!!!!! Love this post! Hope your daughter's foot feels better! I had zero fashion sense growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both tops are sooooo good!! And bicep adjustment tutorial?! Wow, that sounds like a really great pattern! And getting water out of your ear pose is the newest and hottest trend on the international runways (I obviously knows all about that, ahem) so you are totally good! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you are too funny Emi, I was giggling while reading this!! You look fabulous! I love both top, that first pic is my favorite, it's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great & I think you nailed the catwalk poses. My 7yr old is the best (and youngest) photographer in my house, but thankfully my bestie is a gun photographer

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great Emi and your 5 year old did a super job of the photos. I really love that metallic fabric you used and the ponte turned out really well, thanks so much for taking part in the Fashion week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE both Drops! Happy you didn't gave up on the metallic one because it's fantastic and looks amazing on you! I can't believe it never occurred to me to make some catwalk poses you nailed it! <3 ;) oh and your 5 year old really did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, how do I get in touch with your sister ;) Love both tops. I can't believe the shimmery fabric is ponte! It has amazing drape for this type of fabric. Your catwalk pics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already liked the first one, but then I saw the second one! Oh gosh, I just love the glitter fabric. I would totally wear that one! Both tops look great on you, as does your hair loose. I really like that actually!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I love you Emi, you are always so funny !! ♥♥♥ Your two Drops are gorgeous, especially the first one ! It drapes so beautifully !

    ReplyDelete
  17. in case you're still having trouble with your ear I'm going to shout: YOU LOOK AWESOME!
    Love it, your "modelley" photos are fabulous, the top suits you very well, and you made me laugh. xx

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik