Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Sewing Happiness Winter Tour 2017

Like many of the other ladies this week, when Sanae invited me to join her Sewing Happiness (World) Book Tour, I was thrilled beyond belief. Sanae has been a sewing/creative hero of mine for the longest time.

The day I received her book, I put everything aside and just started reading, which is something I hadn't done in what felt like a very, very long time. And it was so enjoyable -- mainly because Sanae is a wonderful writer in addition to being a talented, creative, and kind soul. And really, as she says: "this isn't your typical sewing book." It is so much more.

One of my favorite things is how the book is divided into seasons, as this felt very "Japanese" to me. Those readers familiar with the Kokin Wakashu, a collection of Japanese poems, might know what I mean. ;)


For this tour, I wanted to try something new to me, since I almost exclusively sew clothes. I fell in love with Rachel's beautiful Floral Crown (and now on this tour, Shelley has made a pretty one too!!), and wanted to make one with my girls. Then I got sidetracked by the Cross-Back Apron, which I could have used when I went to a cooking class with my daughter (oh wait, it wasn't an actual cooking class, was it, haha). But then I remembered that my long-suffering husband had asked for the Dopp Kit from the Winter chapter waaaaaay back when I first received the book.


The projects are so beautiful in their simplicity and not at all intimidating (which is not to say I didn't get nervous sewing out of my comfort zone). So what is a person to do when she's not comfortable making bags? Well, make a "muslin" of course! I really didn't want to make a mess of things, which *cough* has been known to happen. And I can't explain why I felt compelled to use my cool Carolyn Friedlander fabric that I got from Imagine Gnats for the practice run, except that I was feeling reckless. (She still has some in the shop here, if you're interested.) It probably wasn't the best fabric choice for this project, but I like how it looks anyway and so does my husband, phew!


Then it was time for the real thing. I managed to find a zipper that didn't need cutting, yay! And I used what was left of my precious spacer knit fabric (I made a Charleston dress from Hey June with it) to make a "real" version of the Dopp Kit. My husband rejected this one as "too girlie", so yay, I get to keep it. Which may or may not have been my original intention, mwah ha ha ha. Don't worry; I have some cool denim fabric for his version that I will make next.



And just because I couldn't resist, I made the infinity scarf from the Spring chapter for myself. And who doesn't love a bit of nani IRO for a selfish sew?



The scarf isn't technically clothing, so I felt it qualified as being within the realm of my self-imposed restrictions. (Confession: I tried making the tooth fairy pillow, too, but botched up the butterfly so it didn't make it into this post.)

And because I managed to convince my daughter to photograph me wearing the scarf ("I'll do it, Mommy, but we have to do it right now because once we go inside the house, I don't like to have to come outside again"), you get to see me in my scarf-tying glory. 



I cannot recommend this book enough. I wish I could put into words how much I love it. Among many things, I found it....healing. <3

The ever-generous Sanae has arranged it so that you can win a signed copy of this wonderful book. And if that weren't enough, you also have a chance to win a 45 Euro gift card from 1000 Stoff. I know. Amazing, right? 

All you need to do is leave a comment telling me who you love to sew for and why (for example, "Me! Because I never complain about dresses being unicornless or not twirly enough"). You get the idea. I'll pick a random winner by the end of the tour - so PLEASE be sure to leave me a way to contact you! 
****UPDATE: Contest has ended. Winner will be contacted by email*****

If you haven't already seen all the goodness by these fabulous women, I encourage you to go visit their blogs. I guarantee you will love everything you see!



Thank you so much, Sanae!


January 23 - Ute + Lara 
January 24 - An of StraightGrain // Instagram 
January 25 - Trine of Groovy Baby and Mama Trine of // Instagram 
January 26 - Shelley of Bartacks and Singletrack // Instagram 
January 30 - Annika of Näh Connection // Instagram 
January 31 - Olu of Needle and Ted // Instagram 
February 1 - Emi of Just Add Fabric // Instagram 
February 2 - Eva of With Love - by Eva // Instagram

39 comments:

  1. Oh Emi, you are so funny :) I love your strategic thinking ;) The scarf looks lovely, too. I have been meaning to make an infinity scarf for... well... infinity hahahaha So you beat me to it :) A sewing book that is not like a sewing book? I am totally curious now. So who do I love to sew for? My girlies of course! Love the big one getting involved and naming fabrics and dresses all sorts of weird and wonderful names haha which makes sewing for a not-yet-verbal tiny human seem so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never ever ever sew muslins (better sorry than safe, or something. Sometimes I regret my hate for sewing the same thing twice ;) ), so I laughed out loud when I saw your muslin on Instagram. But it's beautiful, as are your second version and your scarf! I had never read a book like this before but I found it so beautiful - in every possible way. Maybe I should look for some more Japanese books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved to sew for my son. He's four, almost five, and now I think I will sew more for his younger sister. She can't talk yet, so she can't say what she dislikes. Big win ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful makes, Emi. I think I need a nani iro infinity scarf too! In answer to your question, I love to sew for my daughter because (a) she looks good in everything, and (b) she's so proud to wear the things I sew, and always tells people 'my mum made this!'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I think this is a fabulous book! I really love to sew for my family and me. Unfortunatly my 12 year old son doesn't like many sewed things :-((
    This is a good chance to sew some presents.
    Greetings, Christiane (namibqueen@web.de)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful book! I love to sew for myself, just because I enjoy making little things and then just contemplate how this little things make me happy! I'm not so skilled to sew garments yet but I can make simple bags and pillowcases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you muslined the bag! It can take me forever to try a new pattern because I am sure I will ruin it. I really ought to invest in a cheap fabric in a basic color so ai can just power through and try out the patterns in my queue.
    I love to see for myself because I know I like it. Unfortunately, it's hard to justify selfish sewing. This year I included selfish sewing as a resolution so I can increase my skillet. Bungling a pattern isn't so bad when it was for you anyway. Then only one person is disappointed. And the successes are remembered every time they are worn or used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sewing for me now!!! Just because I know that I can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emi, you are so far more talented than you give yourself credit for. The dopp bags both look great and that scarf is to die for.

    As for sewing, right now, myself & friends because I love to give gifts and I love how I feel when I make something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book was so inspiring to me. Santa delivered it for Christmas after my library copy had to be returned after three renewals. The way sewing and using your creativity to help in the healing process transcended past just another sewing book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sewin for my three year-old daughter. She's still at the age where she doesn't notice if things aren't perfect and she is always amazed that you can make things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics! I like very much your floral Dopp Kit and the scarf of course! I love to sew for my friends and for myself, sometimes for my Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emi,emi, emi!!! I love your sewing versatility. Everything you do, you do so well. Your family is so lucky you sew for them...And you're so lucky they love your sewing. Over the years I've whittled it down to sewing for myself. Why? Because I truly love and appreciate what I sew. Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sewing for my twin granddaughters. Now that they're older, I enjoy customizing what I sew for each girl, and they always seem so happy to have something Grammie-made!
    3dears (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your makes, and so much want to read this book!!
    My daughter almost always loves what I make for her! So rewarding. Same iff she makes something herself. I love that about her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dopp kits look great! I like to sew for my husband and myself, as it is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your makes from the book! Your husband is lucky. It never even occurred to me that I could sew for my husband. I love to sew for my girls despite their endless requests (demands?) for unicorns and twirliness. I'm trying to amp myself up to sew for myself this year, though. Maybe I'll start with the scarf. It's just so lovely <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to sew for me, me and me...because as a mum of lots of kids NOTHING else in my life is about me. It is my sanity, apart from when fitting is driving me insane ������.
    Loved this book from afar for ages. I also had my eyes on the missmatabi scuba stuff...good taste!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  19. I especially love to sew for my daughter because I feel like I'm carrying on a family tradition (my mom made clothes for me and my grandmother made clothes for my mom). There's a lot of love that goes into handmade clothing. I follow you on IG and am now happy to read your blog. Cheers, Emily (homeschoolponies@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love sewing for ....... everyone! It gives me a creative outlet that most of the time is favourably received. (kirrily_brown at hotmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That scarf is sooo pretty! Love your choice of fabric!
    I like sewing for my little girl because she likes (almost) everything I make for her, she is so a darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them Emi!! I don't know why but I have been itching to make a bag lately. I need to hop on that. You already know who I like sewing for best.... ME!!! ALL THE SEWING FOR MEEEEEE!!! muhahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Would love to win the book- looks very inspiring. I do a lot of custom sewing for weddings which I love, but really enjoy sewing for myself or my daughter!! jreinert5@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to sew bags for other people, because I already have too many bags. Something about thw construction of bag making ia so satisfying!
    ajh15@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like such a lovely, soothing book.
    I enjoy sewing for my daughters in particular, because they love anything I make them. That's not to say they don't have constructive criticism, but they do appreciate and wear what I make!
    serenakate@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. For my children cos it brings me such joy when they ask to wear xx that mama made!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this post! I feel the same way about leaving the house. I was 12 inches short on bias tape and the only store open only had single fold, not double fold. Anyway I love the bags and scarf. I like sewing for me when it works out and my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The book looks so good I've been following with the tour and saw so many nice projects ... but more to me it feels like a book with a soul

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such beautiful makes!! I wouldn't have said that you need a muslin for something like that typically, but since I just sewed up a half a dozen bags this Christmas, I now would say that you definitely do! Each new project does have it's own quirks, doesn't it? But everything turned out lovely!!

    My favorite to sew for is certainly my children, followed very closely by friends who get excited about these things the way that I do!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your projects are so nice! I like sewing for myself (or *thinking* about sewing for myself) because I'm not very experienced and so there's less pressure! I love your description of the book, comparing it to a book of poems...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love to sew for your girls cause It's easy for me. I am use to kid patterns so it's much easier for me and even if they are really picky on fabric, they never complain about my style or my "little mistakes" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Honestly, I mostly enjoy sewing for myself. At least I know, the recipient will appreciate the hard work :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your makes Emi ❤❤! Your fabric choices are perfect, as always, and yes, Nano Iro for a scarf is just perfect, it must be a favorite by now ;)... Hmm, to answer your question; Isabella is on top of the list of course, though my mother and sister are favorites as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how you present the book. It makes it sound so much fun! I want, no I need, a sewing book like this! As you know I mostly sew for my girls - and this with a passion. They love what I make, don't complain (yet! - knock on wood) and wear it with pride. Can't say I do that with all the things I make for me. I'm way more critical...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like sewing little projects to have handmade gifts for friends. They are finished in a short time and give me the feeling, I did something.Greetings Annette lenzannette@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful blog post Emi. I love that scarf on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley! I've been wearing it almost daily. I loved all your makes, too. I really have to try out that floral crown now!

      Delete
  37. I'm glad to see you are dipping your toes into bag sewing. It is so delightfully satisfying to sew something that you can use every day without getting the side eye from other people. ehehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, side eye! True. And yes, I'm slowly working up the courage to make your lovely bag one of these days!!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik