Thursday, April 13, 2017

Coffee and Thread Pattern Tour

Wow, I guess it's been a while since my last post! Well, I'm back today with a couple of patterns that I love from a designer that I love...


I was so excited when Olga, the designer behind Coffee and Thread, invited me on board this fantastic tour. The list of participants is amazing, and I kind of think I'm not worthy, but here I am, haha. You can find links to everyone's blogs (and a fun giveaway!!) at the bottom of this post.

I thought the hard part would be deciding which pattern I would make, but then I remembered that I had in mind a hack of the Mulberry Tunic from back when I tested the Eleena Dress. Or maybe it was when I tested the Ila Dress? Or the Ania? Haha, my memory is terrible these days! Anyway, the point is that I wanted to make a color-blocked dress inspired by an adult dress I found online back in the day. But then....my daughter started elementary school and she said she wanted more "soft clothes." By "soft" she meant knit, and by "clothes" she meant dresses, of course. She also mentioned the school was colder than her kindergarten, so she wanted long sleeves.


I don't know that I was 100% successful with this attempt at a Mulberry dress, but she was incredibly happy with it, thankfully (the addition of the hood won me some points). And that's all we moms want in the end, right? All the other stuff is just extra. At least, that's what I keep telling myself to make myself feel better about all the little things I "coulda-shoulda" done, haha. 


So with knits, usually you are advised to size down, right? Well, I like to live on the edge. I sized UP. Hahaha, okay that's not exactly true. 

With a woven, I probably would have made this in a size 6 (or maybe a 5). I decided to stick with a 6 for knit because the original plan was to make a casing the way Mie did with her beautiful tunic/dress here and I was hoping that it would be a bit flowy that way. (By the way, if you've been reading my blog for some time now, you probably already know that I consult the Sewing Like Mad blog before I proceed with just about everything. Not that I always succeed, ha!)


As you can see, I didn't end up making a casing, and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I should have. But my fellow tour member, Tami of Sew Sophie Lynn, tried to console me by saying that the nightgown look is the new trend in day dresses (hee hee), so I'm totally going with that!


For the fabric, I used what was left of what might be my favorite print from the Paperie collection by Amy Sinibaldi for Art Gallery Fabrics. I love every single one of her collections! 

I paired it with some polka dot knit that I bought from my local Yuzawaya in Tokyo. I barely had enough left for the sleeves (in fact, I had to make them shorter than the pattern due to fabric shortage), so I thought I would compensate by adding cuffs. Have I mentioned that we all have relatively short arms in our family? I seem to have forgotten this fact, and now the sleeves are too long. Oh well, let's hope she can wear it for longer.

And now for a little surprise --


My daughter needed a special dress for her first day of school. It's a pretty big deal in Japan, and I wanted something classic and simple -- something elegant. She had one requirement: it had to twirl. Naturally.

This was around the time I was part of the Polina Dress test (see my version below), so I started bugging Olga about making a pattern for a dress with long sleeves.


Well, because she is so amazing and generous, not only did she draft sleeves -- she drafted a new bodice (the back has an invisible zip closure) AND a collar to go with it!! She basically made a whole new dress pattern. Can you believe it? No, I couldn't either! 


Look at how happy my daughter is :) She doesn't even mind that her mother doesn't know how to tie a ribbon properly.


Because I used a crepe fabric from Robert Kaufman, I didn't want to deal with trying to press and hem a circle skirt, so I hemmed with bias tape. (Thanks for the tips, Emily!)

If you think Olga should make this a new pattern, feel free to join the Coffee and Thread Facebook group and make some noise!! ;) 


In the meantime, you can get all her amazing patterns for 20% off with the code "Coffeeandthreadtour" - you can buy them HERE. And you can enter the giveaway below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Be sure to visit the other stops on the tour. I promise you that everyone's makes will blow you away!

April 3

April 4

April 5

April 6

April 7

April 10

April 11

April 12

April 13

April 14
Stitched Together || S is for Sewing || Boevenbende || Lafolie Sewing Booth || Sew Pony || With Love By Eva 

Thank you, Olga, for having me on your tour!!

25 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Emi !! Love both dresses but that blue one !!!! I'm so IN LOVE ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Soso! You are always so sweet <3

      Delete
  2. Love everything you made Emi, your make are just perfect. I especially love that blue dress for kindergarten. It sure is classical and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thao! I was pleased with the way that one turned out - and hopefully my younger one will agree to wear it when her turn comes around ;)

      Delete
  3. You know what I love about your makes Emi? You sew whatever makes your daughters happy. And then you put a bow on it :) The tunic turned dress is lovely. It is visible how comfortable it really is. I also love that print and only have a teeny tiny bit left! And your knit version of Polina. Man, it is perfect! It is twirly and elegant, fun and timeless... Going to make some noise ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenya, that is probably the nicest compliment ever!!! And haha, yes, I can't resist putting bows on everything. Bad habit of mine ;) Yes, that Paperie print is so pretty, isn't it! Thank you <3

      Delete
  4. Love that dress and great idea with the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After consulting with my husband, I thought it would be best to have sleeves for her formal dress. Luckily Olga came to the rescue!

      Delete
  5. So many amazing makes!! You've been busy!! I love the Mulberry! No need to second guess yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney! I loved your makes for this tour, too. You've reminded me how much I love the Eleena dress pattern. <3

      Delete
  6. Great dresses, both of them! Your kids are so lucky with a mum who listens to their requests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Verinne! It has come to the point where if I don't make what they like, the clothes don't get worn, so...hahaha! :)

      Delete
  7. Ohhhhh EMI...I don't even know where to start! First of all your Mulberry is PERFECT just the way it is! Are you kidding me....I'm TOTALLY going to copy that. WOW! I think a casing in knit could very well become too bulky (I did mine in woven) so IF you had consulted me I don't think I would have recommended it ;-) And thank you for another shout out...you really are way too sweet and generous!
    And that first day of school dress....wow, classic beauty! I'm excited to learn more about the first day of school in a certain other post coming in September ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH, Mie!!!! You don't know how happy I am to read your words! I worry about bugging you too much with all my questions (though I know you are always very generous with your time). So phew that I didn't go with the casing! And yesssssss I am definitely looking forward to September!!!

      Delete
  8. Emi, this is just perfect! I love your Mulberry, doesn't look remotely nightgownish! It looks perfect, so cozy and so pretty! I am glad the dress for the special day turned out! I was a bit nervous since I didn't make it first and wasn't sure if it would have issues or not, but it looks gorgeous! Thank you so much my friend for being on the tour! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a million times, Olga -- and then some! You are the bestest and my daughters love you for all the wonderful patterns you've created to help fill her closet. And that special day dress....well, you know I owe you one. Or ten ;)

      Delete
  9. Whoa!!! I want that knit Polina dress in my size! Do you think we could talk Olga into that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Audrey, I think we should definitely talk to Olga about it!!!

      Delete
  10. First of all, girl, you are sooooo worthy! Secondly, I love these dresses. I cannot believe Olga essentially drafted an entirely new pattern for you! How awesome is that?! She is amazing and so are you! <3 Also, how did you get the link with everyone's names? I wanted to include it at the bottom of my post but I didn't have that email. Did it come in an email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel, to hear those words from you...all the heart eyes! And yes, Olga is fantastic!! I can't believe it either. She is incredibly generous with her time, and I am so grateful. Thank you for your kind words - I cannot believe the amazing company I was in for this tour, most especially you! xxx

      Delete
  11. Ok so first my dear you are an amazing maker and you have to stop second guessing yourself. Anyone would be lucky to have you promoting their patterns or as a tester, sewing buddies, you name it; we love you Emi, just put that in your mind! <3 Now these dresses... I almost made a dress version of the mulberry and I love yours, it's just the type of garment my kids would love too. And those fabrics are so pretty together. <3 The new dress is beautiful, you did amazing on this tour my dear as usual. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ines <3 <3 <3 (sending you all the hearts I can). You are so sweet and wonderful and a master pattern hacker!! Thank you so much -- and I would say that I'm looking forward to your post, but I've already gone and had a peek and OMG!!!! You are the best.

      Delete
  12. You are totally worthy! I consult Mie's blog too! Love how both dresses turned out and I would totally wear them all the time!!!!!! Glad the bias tape hem worked out!! 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Mie, right Emily? ;) Thank you for your kind words!! I loved your Polina and I definitely have to try out those ruffled sleeves now.

      Delete
  13. Love both dresses! I really do not think it looks nightgownish at all. But I bet it feels that way wearing it and for that you certainly score double points with kids! That first day of school dress is just perfect! Stylish and timeless. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik