Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Farrah Blouse and Dress from Chalk and Notch

I sewed something for myself! And wow, do I love this latest pattern from Chalk and Notch. How much do I love it? Well, I cut into some Liberty tana lawn. That's how much ;) 


I think it's pretty obvious by now how much I love every single one of the Chalk and Notch patterns. This one provides the same professional touch that has become a trademark of all her patterns. I will give you the details from the website first:

The Women’s Farrah is a woven blouse or dress with a feminine ruffle detail. View A includes ruffled sleeves and View B is sleeveless with a front ruffle. Both views include a side slit with a high-low hem detail.
Size Range: 0 – 18
Sewing Level: INTERMEDIATE
The Farrah pattern offers two views.
View A: Includes ruffle sleeves
View B: Includes a front ruffle
* Both views have a blouse and dress view.
Pattern Details: The Women’s Farrah pattern includes illustrated sewing instructions, a clickable table of contents and measurements listed in both imperial and metric. The pattern offers layered size options so you can choose only the size/sizes you would like to print. It is formatted for US letter and A4 users. The pattern is standard trim and tape pattern. Print shop copies are included in both US letter and A0 size as well as layered printing.

I made View A in the blouse and dress versions, but I will show you the dress first, because...well, it's LIBERTY! 


Okay, aside from the fact that I should have taken photos before the wrinkles appeared, I love this dress. It's so comfortable to wear and yet I still get to look semi-put-together while I'm out and about. So different from my usual jeans and t-shirt (dare I say it?) momiform, haha. 

I made the size 0 based on my measurements, and I am very happy with the fit. You might notice that I lengthened the front a bit so the high-low hem isn't as dramatic as on my other version (I made two dresses, but I'll show you the other one another time). Not sure that I'm loving what I did there, but I don't really like to expose too much leg -- and okay, okay, I'll admit I forgot to lengthen the back piece while I was at it, gah! 


The lining is just a basic lightweight cotton that I bought from my local fabric shop. Part of me is still wondering if I am doing a disservice to the Liberty fabric by pairing it with this cotton. I think the ruffles would flow more nicely if I hadn't lined it, as I did with the other lawn dress I made. Okay, I'll stop talking about it and wait till I can show you. 

My first version (the tester or wearable muslin, if you will) was the View A blouse, and I made this one using a pretty floral rayon challis that I got from one of my favorite US online shops, Raspberry Creek Fabric.


I made this one in the same size as the dress, and I love the drape. I lined these sleeves with double gauze that I had in my stash. 


I love how this can be a pretty fancy blouse or dress when you use an extra special fabric (especially with the View B), and when you use something more casual, as I did for the blouse, it can be paired with jeans for a daytime look. There are so many wonderful aspects to the pattern -- to all of the Chalk and Notch patterns (precise instructions, clear illustrations, printing in layers, etc.). But my favorite thing is that I know that every time I open up one of my Chalk and Notch patterns, I will not be disappointed with the pattern pieces or the fit of the final product. And neither will you. 


If you would like some amazing inspiration, you can check out Part 1 of the tester round-up HERE and Part 2 HERE. I will be sure to post my other dress as soon as I can get decent pictures of it. (Oh, and a big thank you to my daughter, who kindly took these photos of me.)

Thank you, Gabriela, for another wonderful pattern!

The Farrah blouse/dress is available for purchase on the Chalk and Notch website, on UpCraft Club, the Chalk and Notch Etsy store. Once you've made yours, be sure to join the Chalk and Notch Facebook group and share it with everyone! 

23 comments:

  1. That dress. Gah!!! Love it! I am not sure what you are talking about the front, I LOVE it as is! it suits you so perfectly well! Can you even put perfectly and well in one sentence like I did? Of course the top is gorgeous also, but man, that Liberty print... All the love eyes are on you :) Your daughter did a great job taking pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for your kind words, Jenya! You sure know how to make someone feel good about herself <3 And yes, that Liberty is so dreamy, isn't it!!

      Delete
  2. Both of these versions are beautiful! I can't wait to see your other dress. Also, your daughter did a great job with the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stacey!! She is (reluctantly) getting quite used to taking pictures, poor girl ;)

      Delete
  3. Awesome Emi! I need to start sewing for myself! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much, Suz!! I think you should start sewing for yourself, too!!

      Delete
  4. both garments are stunning! That Liberty fabric is so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anna! I was worried I might regret cutting into my Liberty, but now that I have a pretty dress to wear -- nope! :)

      Delete
  5. So pretty! Love the dress! I actually prefer a really subtle hi low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! I am happy with this high-low hem, particularly because I have another with the more dramatic high-low for contrast, heh heh.

      Delete
  6. I want to get you a big hug and a high five for these amazing versions! You are the best, thank you so much for all our your hard work on getting this pattern perfect. Also, I am so excited to see this mystery 3rd dress...can't wait! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww Gabriela!! All the feels! Thank you so much for yet another pattern that I will use over and over and over again!

      Delete
  7. Love them both so much! You just convinced me that I do need another pattern....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marieke! And that is the ultimate compliment! I do hope you share your Farrah when you make it! xxx

      Delete
  8. You look gorgeous Emi. I might be weird but I think I'll prefer your top version if I had to choose. So cheerful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely NOT weird, Mie! I love the top version, too. It might get a bit more wear only because I tend to wear tops more often these days.

      Delete
  9. Very pretty fabrics and colours! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik