Monday, May 15, 2017

Charleston Abloom! Two Dresses from Madeit Patterns

Today I can finally share two dresses that I have been bursting to show you!


A little while ago, I received the sweetest message from Amy Sinibaldi, who is one of the designers for Art Gallery FabricsI love Amy's aesthetic. Just look at her upcoming collection, Little Town. Aren't those prints the cutest? I have been following her blog nanaCompany ever since I came across it while browsing for gift projects. I love looking at everything on her site even though I have yet to attempt quilting (that probably won't happen for a long, long time). But she's isn't just about quilts; I have this potholder tutorial saved in my "cute things to make" folder.

You won't be surprised to hear that I jumped at the chance to sew something from her Charleston collection (who wouldn't?). You can see the entire Charleston collection HERE. The prints are all so beautiful that I knew if I made something for one daughter, the other one would definitely protest. Luckily, Amy is a generous soul who understands the needs of girls who love dresses.


There was never any question about what dresses I would be making. For my older daughter, I chose the hooded version of the Groove Dress from Madeit Patterns, one of my very favorite patterns from one of my very favorite design team. Of course I had to add a bow. 

For the fabric, I used Magnolia Nightfall in knit (HERE) for the main part of the dress, and Barnacles Cherry knit to line the hood (HERE). I have to say that I was extremely tempted to use Garden of Dreams Rouge for the hood lining (HERE), but the Barnacles print won out in the end. The fabrics are a dream to sew with, as are the Art Gallery cottons, which I also love. I don't have a serger, so those of you who are nervous about sewing with knits on a regular machine, believe me it is possible, though probably easier and faster if you have a serger. Or so I'm told. ;)  If you want to go drool over all the beauties that Art Gallery has to offer, you can visit their site HERE.




Needless to say, I am thrilled beyond belief that one of my photos (below) made it into the Look Book, courtesy of Amy. Thank you, Amy!


For my younger daughter, I made another Spin Dress from Madeit Patterns. For her, I used a beautiful red floral ("He Loves Me") also by Amy from the Abloom Fusion collection. I gravitate towards pinks and reds when sewing for her, and I think she too would tell you that pink is her signature color, haha. Fortunately, there is both pink and red on this delightful print.


I made her the straight size 4, though I probably should have gone with the 5 at the rate she is growing. She requested short sleeves for the warm weather, and this dress has already been worn so much since it has been photographed. I know she will wear it through the summer and most likely into the fall as well, layered under one of her many Goodall Cardigans


I thought this print was perfect for her, as she is obsessed with flowers these days. A ten-minute walk often takes triple the time because we have to stop and inspect every single flower and insect we pass on the way home. And she also scours the ground for fallen petals and flowers, as obviously I don't let her pick them. It's hard to find wild flowers growing in the city - ah, city life!


Once again, I would like to thank Amy for her kindness and generosity. As you can see, I have two incredibly happy girls who have been wearing their dresses pretty much non-stop around here!


All of the fabrics used in this post were generously gifted to me, but my love for them is my personal opinion. In fact, I should say that I love these fabrics so much that I went and asked Diana of Raspberry Creek Fabrics if she will be stocking some - and she is!! Yay!

Thank you for reading, and happy sewing!

12 comments:

  1. These are sooo gorgeous! I love them very much. Big fan of art gallery too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Marjolein! Art Gallery has some lovely prints, don't they!

      Delete
  2. Both gorgeous dresses! You made some great choices print wise. I bet that was hard to choose form that beautiful collection. And congrats on making it to the look book. Awesome and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie. Yes, it was so hard to choose because I pretty much wanted everything, ha!

      Delete
  3. These indeed are beautiful fabrics and creations Emi. I'm a big fan of art gallery fabrics too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thao! Art Gallery fabrics are amazing!

      Delete
  4. Both dresses are very pretty! and [pictures are soo cute! Never tired their knit fabric, but love their wovens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga! I am really happy with their knits - and so too is my machine, apparently. I haven't had it try to eat any so far *touch wood*

      Delete
  5. Such pretty dresses Emi :) It is so sweet how you follow your girls' lead when sewing for them :) Congrats on having your project included in a look book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind Jenya! I was so excited - both about the look book AND the fact that my girls have been wearing their dresses non-stop! ;)

      Delete
  6. So, so pretty Emi. And I like the cute addition of the little red bow. I'm also going to be on the lookout for those socks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olu - and thank you for the advice. You know I can't resist adding a bow whenever I can. The socks are pretty cute, aren't they! I found them at the Gap.

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik