Friday, May 19, 2017

Geneva Cardigan from Coffee and Thread

I think I should have called this one: "Fun new school clothes....or a potential Halloween costume." 


I had such high expectations of myself for this outfit. I assumed the fabric and the pattern would go together really well. I even "let" my husband choose the buttons. And of course by taking this complacent attitude, I was only setting myself up for failure... But we all have those days, right? Please say "yes" even if it's just to make me feel better. ;)

I'm talking about the very cute Geneva Cardigan from Coffee and Thread. This is the cardigan I have been waiting and waiting for, and was so excited when it was finally available. I thought the Peter Pan collar version would make an adorable staple, and the pretty ruffle version would go so well over a dress. And if you've seen the versions on the tour, you'll know what I mean. But then I got this cool denim sweatshirting Nosh fabric, and I decided I would make neither of those views and go for the simple ribbed collar. Hm. Let's just say I rarely do well when deviate from my original plan.


I couldn't decide whether the outfit looked like some glorified baseball uniform or a bell hop uniform. Or...a modern Jedi? Maybe I just think that because she insisted on holding on to the stick like a sword. One thing is for sure: I should not have paired the top with the bottom. I think as separates it can work. Or maybe partly I'm used to seeing her wear more girly clothes these days.


The pattern itself is excellent. It is the usual quality you can expect with the Coffee and Thread patterns: layered PDF pattern so you can chose the size you want to print (copy shop version included), a clear tutorial with illustrations, fabric requirements, a materials list, and excellent sewing tips (though Olga has been known to give great exercise tips, too). You can also find some wonderful support in the Facebook group HERE.

And so, on to my "genius" idea: to go with the cardigan, I made the Wild and Free Lounge Pants. I had intended to have them a bit loose-fitting and cuffed, closer to sweatpants than leggings. Of course I made a total rookie mistake and forgot to check the stretch content of the fabric, and they turned out too tight for her. She can fit into them, but this was not the look I was going for. I am not giving up, though. Plus she still needs more pants to wear under all her dresses! 

Um. You might have noticed one other thing. Yes, the bottom button. My advice is to be careful when choosing the bias binding for the inside (or to use snaps). My binding turned out to be on the bulky side when sewn with this fabric, and then my machine went on strike when it came to sewing that bottom buttonhole. Late at night, I considered using a hand-sewn snap for that last button (What were you thinking, Emi??), but in the cold light of day, I realized this showed serious lack of judgement. I might try putting in a buttonhole again later. Or not.
Despite all my humbling mistakes, I have to admit this outfit has grown on me. And the good news is that my daughter doesn't have all the hang-ups about it that I do. She happily wore the cardigan over a dress to school, and it was all good. And I can always shorten the pants for her little sister to wear while I make her a pair in stretchier fabric. 

Now for the good news: you can use the code GENEVAPATTERNTOUR for 15% off in the shop. The code is good until Friday, May 19. If you need any inspiration, there is plenty to be had on this tour!

May 15


May 16


May 17

May18


May 19

14 comments:

  1. I think it's super cute and will go with everything in her closet! Very palyground friendly too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Olga! Playground friendly is definitely a plus around here!

      Delete
  2. You are too hard on you!!it is a fabulous outfit. I love the colour combination so much! lots of hearts for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria - you are too generous! I'm quite happy with the colors and the fabrics, too. I think it's more my own sewing that got in the way, hahaha!

      Delete
  3. You are really being too hard on yourself, Emi. It looks like such a fun cardigan for a little girl! And I actually like the missing button hole. Just call it a design element and it will be a total hip cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind!! And I will take you up on your good idea and call that missing buttonhole a "design element"! Ha! ;)

      Delete
  4. So we talked the other day about buttonholes in knit and how hard they can be to make. I forgot to share a tip (for that last one ;-) Trying putting tissue paper under and over the fabric and then slowly sew the buttonhole through the paper and fabric . Choose a similar color as the fabric because even though you pull away most of it tiny piece might be left in there. Also give your buttonholes a good pressing. That will help too. I looove the color combination and I think pairing it with dark bottoms would be really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again, Mie, for the wonderful tip! I know you will never steer me wrong. I think I will definitely have to start stocking up on my tissue paper (all I have is white at the moment)!! You're the best!

      Delete
  5. I love the cardigan! The colors are so sweet and they go perfectly with the cool baseball style. Your husband did a great job choosing the buttons! Combined with the pants it's a little "too much" for me, but I bet this cardigan looks great with a pair of jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Eva! Yes, I need to get working on making her some jeans, I think (maybe for the fall). I agree that this cardi will work well with denim :)

      Delete
  6. The cardi is very sweet. I love how colours work together. I am sure your girlie will get plenty of wear out of both items, they are super comfy, and I bet feel nice to wear. I can relate to the getting away from the original plan and then feeling disappointed with the result, but usually I a the only one who cares :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenya, you are always so wonderful and understanding -- and so supportive! Thank you. <3

      Delete
  7. Modern Jedi! I think it looks awesome! Perhaps the hesitation is because it's not what your girls usually wear? (Floral/twirly/colors)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I think you might have hit on something there, Emily! This was indeed a bit of a departure for me. I do need to start getting out of my usual twirly girly rut, heh heh ;)

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik