Thursday, May 11, 2017

Juliette Pattern Tour - Sewpony

Who doesn't love Hello Kitty, right? So would you believe my kids have no idea who Hello Kitty is?


The Juliette Dress and Top pattern is a collaboration between two very talented people, Suz of Sewpony and Jill of Kneesocks and Goldilocks. I think it's a perfect match between these two ladies and their styles. I was so honored to be asked to join the amazing women sewing dresses and tops for this tour (scroll to the bottom of this post for links to their blogs/IG). 


I knew as soon as I saw the photos popping up in Jill's feed that I wanted sew the version with the ruffle, which I consider the distinct feature of this pattern. After a quick consultation with my daughter, we decided on the short-sleeved dress version with the ruffle and one pocket. And of course, the fabric. Ah, the all-important fabric choice...



She had been "waiting and waiting and waiting" (her words - I'll leave it to you to imagine the level of exasperation in her voice) for me to make her a dress from this Hello Kitty Liberty of London fabric. I decided it would be now or never, as I am not sure how much longer she will want to wear these character fabrics. 



Here are some of the pattern details (taken from the Sewpony website):

* Sizes 12mo, 18mo, 2-10 years 
* You will receive a folder containing three files (instructions, home print, shop print) 
* All measurements in metric and imperial 
* Detailed digital cutting diagrams 
* Detailed photographic instructions for each step 
* Quick sew guide included for experienced sewists 
* Guide to make your own bias binding


The only things I changed when sewing the pattern is that I cut the back on the fold - partly because I didn't want to attempt to pattern match and partly because I forgot, heh heh. Maybe it was more the latter than the former. This also meant that I had to change the way the ruffle was sewn to the back (namely it wouldn't be sewn to the back bodice anymore; I just folded it over instead, which may not have been the best decision). That was mainly because I didn't read through all the directions before starting to sew, oops. 



Of course covering the slit meant that I needed to consult my favorite sewing bible: Sewing Like Mad. And of course she has an amazing bias tape covered slit tutorial HERE. You could also take a look at Coffee and Thread's Ania pattern, which I did since I had it open on my desktop (or the Antalya will do, too). Despite these two wonderful tutorials, I'm still not sure that I did it correctly, but it closes so I'm going to go with it. Gotta find a smaller button though, haha. 



Anyway, I have one ecstatic daughter, so I call this one a success! It also received the all-important stamp of approval: "Can I wear it to bed, Mommy?" Here she is in her wrinkled dress glory - I assure you she has a huge smile on her face.



You can buy a copy of the Juliette pattern HEREAnd as if there weren't already enough options for this dress, Suz has added a free collar! You can read about the collar option HERE. Also, if you use the code DRESSEDINSEWPONY you will get a 10% discount on any of the patterns in the Sewpony shop until the 2nd of June 2017. 

Once you've bought your pattern(s), you can enter an amazing contest! All the details about the contest can be found HERE. There are some fabulous prizes to be won; you don't want to miss it. 

I highly recommend visiting the other stops on the tour because there is so much inspiration from these talented ladies! 



15 comments:

  1. Oh cute!! My girls would love this...even Isabella (nearly 9) would wear a hello kitty dress if I let her!!! I can't believe it's liberty! so cool! Thank you Emi for your kind words and for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Suz, for having me on the tour! My daughter thanks you, too, because now she finally has the cat dress of her dreams ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this fabric and your mods worked out so well! The tights are perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney! I wasn't sure what I was doing with the modifications, but luckily they sort of worked, phew!

      Delete
  3. So sweet! I can totally see why she loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marisa! I think the combination of ruffle + Hello Kitty will probably win over most little girls ;)

      Delete
  4. It's sooo cute! I love it! The slit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga! I was so happy to have two great masters to consult on that one!! xxx

      Delete
  5. I can see why your daughter is ecstatic! The dress turned out lovely. And yes, I can imagine the tone she used expressing just how long she had to wait for you to make her a dress from this fabric hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Jenya! Unfortunately I am becoming all-too-familiar with that tone of voice these days....ahh six going on sixteen...

      Delete
  6. I can almost feel her happiness through the screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva! She was indeed very happy :)

      Delete
  7. This is suuuuch a cute dress and only Liberty can make BEAUTIFUL character fabric. I sent a hand me down jumpsuit to my niece in another Liberty Hello Kitty fabric and her Mom didn't even complain haha.
    I'm glad you found the bias bound slit tutorial helpful. Looks great! You might have forgotten to close the bottom with that little biased stitch? Not sure though...it's hard to see and it doesn't make a huge difference anyway and certainly doesn't take anything away from this gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! I don't think we will find many people who will say "no" to Liberty, right? haha. I did close the bottom with the stitch on the bias, but maybe I didn't do it properly since it looks like it is too open in some of these pictures. Hm.

      Delete
  8. The dress is so cute and the fabric is adorable! And yes, I can imagine her smile ��

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik