Thursday, June 8, 2017

Cosy Toes - Twig + Tale Tour

This is the story of the shoes (or boots) that almost weren't...



When I brought up the idea of making the girls a pair of shoes a while ago, the response was enthusiastic. Great! I would make ladybug shoes! The girls would have matching shoes and it would be adorable! Well, fast-forward to now...and nope. I was met with resistance when it actually came time to making them. Granted, shoes are not my forte. In fact, it would be safe to say that I would be venturing into unexplored territory because I've only ever made slippers, and let's just say they weren't my most successful make, haha. So I didn't blame the girls for not wanting me to make any more footwear. 

I thought hard. My girls both really love the book George and the Dragon by Christopher Wormell (by the way, if you haven't read One Smart Fish, we recommend that one, too). So I figured I couldn't go far wrong with making a dragon, as they seem to love playing the red dragon from that book - more than the clever mouse. Fortunately, the Wild Things Boots for Big Kids pattern includes a dragon. Yay!


Then I ran into my second problem. I don't hand sew. Whenever I read the instructions "hand sewing recommended" (or something like that), I try to find a way to use my machine. So let's say that at my house, hand sewing happens almost NEVER. And what do I know about embroidery? How about zero. Or maybe "one" since I went to a little workshop one time. Well, I had to put a face on these boots somehow. (By the way, these turned out not to be boots more than indoor booties, good for the cold weather, but hey, I'm okay with that.) My lovely and supportive husband took one look at the faces and nearly snorted with laughter. "What are those supposed to be?" he asked. "Is that a....cow? Or a....a pig?" Well, friends, you can understand my indignation, because who ever heard of a red cow or a red pig??


The spikes on the back help a lot to prove the case for a dragon, right? And later I added the wings, though I am still debating about how they should be added. The instructions suggest cutting them in half and hand sewing one to each side of the boot, but my daughter wanted them whole, more like the bat wings. But that way the wings end up covering the spikes, so...hm. 


After I measured my daughter's foot against the sizing chart supplied, I decided to go with the size 13. I was a little worried they would turn out too small with that 1/4" seam allowance (I am not always the most precise person, ahem) but they worked out just great. Especially since she will be wearing them indoors without socks. 

For the outside, I used a very thick felt, almost like felted wool that I bought from Rick Rack (they refer to it as "fabric felt"), and the inside is lined with flannel. Just perfect for our 30 degree weather, ha! That's Celcius, by the way. 


Turns out I needn't have worried. Not about the "dragon-that-looks-like-a-cow" face, or about the sloppy embroidery, or about the placement of the wings. The minute my big girl came home from school and spied the boots, she ran to put them on and pranced around the house. Phew!

You can get the pattern here, and while you're shopping, you might want to take a look at the newly launched Ladies and Men's tie-back boots that are on sale until midnight (PST) Friday 9th June. The pattern is already on sale, but use the code COSYTOES for an ADDITIONAL 15% off the entire footwear collection. (This includes the new Tie Backs for Grown-ups, Wayfarers, Tie Backs for kids, Flower Boots, Wild Things Shoes and Wild Things Boots).

Be sure to check out the other bloggers on the tour for some wonderful inspiration:

Tuesday: Fliegfederfrei - Createnic - Sew Snippet - Sew Many Adventures

Wednesday: Sew Shelly Sew - She Who Sews - Life in our busy household - Inspinration

Thursday: Skirt Fixation - Sprouting Jube Jube - Needle and Ted - Just Add Fabric 

10 comments:

  1. I am so happy that they fit and that she likes them! I really think the faces look awesome, the probem is your husband, not your embroidery skills ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miranda! And thank you for having me on the tour <3

      Delete
  2. I'm allergic to hand sewing too! But these dragon-not-a-cow boots are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Audrey! I'm happy that she loves them :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Emi, they are brilliant. Although I did think they were pigs at first. Lol!!!! Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Thanks, Olu! Maybe I need to try my hand at another pair, hoo hoo hoo.

      Delete
  4. Have you never heard of the red bull? hahaha Just kidding! Love these! I think your daughter chose well where to place the wings! The booties look so cool! I will have to look into the patterns, especially since the dragon face is already there... because... Toothless hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Jenya, you always bring a smile to my face! Whenever I think of bulls, I think of Ferdinand the Bull. Maybe we should read that story next, haha. I think it would be cute if you made a pair of the booties for your youngest <3

      Delete
    2. I just saw that they are remaking Ferdinand the Bull. Can't wait to show it to my girls :-)

      Delete
  5. Okay, these are so crazy cute. And who cares what animal it looks like. Has no-one heard about fantasy animals?! LOL. My big girl has actually grown out of her home slippers. Maybe I should sew her a pair for next winter.

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik