Monday, June 26, 2017

Nova Blog Tour

I know I don't have to tell you twice that my girls and I are big fans of dresses - and we are even bigger fans of Straight Grain patterns. This latest one is no exception: The Nova!


I would like to begin with a disclaimer. To say that I am not the most precise person would be an understatement (and probably this comes as no surprise to some of you, haha). So if things like uneven lines and wonky pleats bother you, I will ask you to please stop here for the sake of your sanity. I say this out of love for you ;) 

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way...like all of An's patterns, this one comes with a lot of wonderful options, and if you have been following the Nova Tour (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3) I won't bore you with all the details except to say that the PDF pattern, which I used, has all of the details that I have come to expect and appreciate about Straight Grain patterns in general. 



My daughter's height put her in between size 6 and 7, so I opted to go for the larger size - of course - to give her room to grow. And judging from how many pairs of shoes that I have had to replace over the last 2 months (a LOT), she is growing quickly! Gah! I probably should have done the right thing and made a size 6 with 7 length, but...well, what can I say except I didn't. My bad. 

While the cap sleeves are super cute, they weren't quite the look I was going for. I definitely wanted sleeves on this dress, but we are moving into summer here and the long sleeves would be much too hot, even in double gauze. So I was reading through the instructions before starting (go, me!) and saw that it is possible to use the Tinny sleeves with this dress, yay! Naturally I chose the puff sleeves. 


Now I'm not sure what happened (though I'm sure it's user error), but I think either the hem stretched while I was sewing or maybe I should just have gone with the size 6 according to her measurements, but they look a little big. What do you think? Maybe I should take out the pleat and add some elastic to the hem instead...?


As you can see, I opted for the zigzag pleats. I was very tempted by the beauty of the honeycomb pleats, but I didn't think they would show up as well in this print. By the way, the fabric is the "wave green" colorway in "wild <-- --> elegant wind" print from naniIRO And now (despite the fact that the instructions tell you to go carefully and precisely to achieve gorgeous pleats), I give you instead an example of what to do if you want "pleats with character." Ha. 




This is probably going to sound weird, but I think the back is my favorite part of this pattern. I also love the ties option. I made a special trip to the fabric store to get this ribbon because I didn't have the right shade of yellow in my stash, and I had envisioned this fabric paired with a pretty yellow ribbon. (Yes, I have a ribbon stash. Doesn't everyone? And yes, I managed to leave the store without buying more fabric!) 

There will be a fun giveaway tomorrow (June 27), so be sure to check out what's happening on Instagram for all the details on Tuesday! The Nova Dress and Blouse is available both as a PDF pattern and a paper pattern, and you can get both in the shop HERE. Be sure to visit all the amazingly talented ladies on this tour for some more inspiration. A big thank you to An for having me on the tour and many thanks to you for reading!



9 comments:

  1. YEA! We wondered what option you would sew!! The zig-zag pleats are definitely something we want to give a try in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a pretty dress. The back is my favorite too! Zig-zag pleats are so much fun! 💙💙

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a beautiful dress! And the pleats look so pretty with the direction of the print on the fabric. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emi, this is such a fantastic dress. Amazing fabric choice, and such beautiful pictures! Thank you so much for conquering your pleatophobia for me ;-) So happy to have you on the tour <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - this dress in that fabric is stunning! I like the sleeves just as they are, but you could gather them a little with some elastic if it bothers you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Emi! That fabric is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely! I think elastic in the sleeve hems will look really sweet and draw the hemline up a bit. I love the back a lot too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whaaaaat? Read through the instructions and left a fabric store without buying any fabric? Go you indeed hahaha Emi, the dress looks wonderful. Not sure what you mean by pleat with character, they look great! This fabric looks so lovely, perfect dress for fun in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Emi, I just made a shirt with pleats in a very, very shifty linen (not shared yet), so I'm declaring that "organic pleats" are a thing, and they're totally hot right now!
    Lovely froggy green dress!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik