Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Sointu Kimono Tee by Named

The weather hasn't been very autumn-like over here, but I am definitely looking forward to it. In anticipation of the cool, crisp weather (which probably won't arrive until mid-October?!), I made myself a cozy sweater tee.




I'd been meaning to make the Sointu Kimono Tee pattern from Named Clothing for the longest time. I loved the shape of it and I loved that I could make it in knit, so it was really a matter of waiting around for the right fabric to appear. 

Well, when I saw the SILMU fabric (the link will take you to the maple sugar colorway, as they are out of black, but they do have light olive as well) from Nosh, I knew I had to make something with it. I had originally selected it thinking I could recreate a favorite cardigan that I used to wear in high school, but for some reason, I (rather foolishly) had ordered only one meter. Why did I do that?! I knew I wasn't going to use this precious fabric for my girls. Oh well, too late. I wasn't sure what I could make with just one meter, but that's when I remembered the Sointu. There are only 5 pattern pieces. Maybe I could get away with it. 



I checked the size chart and decided to go with the size 32/34, as my measurements were hovering around that range. And I think I made the right decision, because if it were bigger, it might look like it's about to fall off my shoulders and just look weird. 


As you can see, I didn't quiiiiite have enough meterage for the entire pattern, as I ran out of fabric to make the belt. Mie had the brilliant idea of using the pink SILMU I have hoarded for the belt, but I have other plans for that one, and wanted to make sure I had enough before cutting into it for this project. So instead I decided to make do with this scarf-as-belt improvisation in the meantime. 

The SILMU fabric is so lovely and warm to wear, but I should mention all the little "fluffies" that were everywhere by the time I had cut and sewn this sweater/tee. This fabric frays a bit, and I think Mie even recommended that I use bias binding at the seams when possible. I didn't do that for the belt loop pieces (I just did a fake overlocker stitch), but it worked out okay.


And now you will just get more poses of me pretending to be all "cool city gal hanging out on the steps before I head over to meet my girlfriends and eat a salad lunch." Or something like that. Isn't that what city gals do? Wear black and eat salad for lunch? (The truth: I went and ate a donut with my husband and girls afterwards.)


About the tee, I should mention that my neckline stretched out a bit when I was sewing on the bias binding, so I had to steam it into submission. You might not have that issue if you have a walking foot. Oh, and I don't recommend using the SILMU for the binding as it's too thick. I also didn't interface the sleeve opening panels for the same reason. 

I would say overall the Sointu is a straightforward sew, and I definitely want to make another. This is a shape that I love to wear, and I can see it being an autumn staple. And no, you don't have to style it with bright blue Birkenstocks, as I did, haha!


A big thank you to Nosh for this lovely, lovely fabric. I am definitely keeping an eye out to see if the black comes back! If you want some of their amazing knits, have a look HERE.

(Although I received the fabric as part of the collaboration with Nosh, all opinions of the fabric - and the pattern - are my own.) 

26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You look so good Emi <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! It's super comfy, which is a big win in my book!

      Delete
  2. You look lovely Emi! Great outfit and fabulous shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit , Emi! You look beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Camelia! You are too kind :)

      Delete
  4. This is SUCH a cool outfit and I absolutely love your blue Birkenstock! I can't wait to cut into my Silmu.....and get little white 'thingies' everywhere 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mie! I love my Birkenstocks, heh heh :) I'm so excited to see what you make with your Silmu. I'm sure it will be gorgeous -- and maybe by now you've already made it!!

      Delete
  5. Looking beautiful Emi, that's a lovely style top on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Thao! I love the shape of it.

      Delete
  6. Wow Emi, this looks gorgeous on you! You definitely look like this hipster city girl eating salads and shopping all day :-) I think the color suits you really well and so does the pattern. Also I love your haircut! The total makes you look so fashionable. If I would meet you in the streets, I would gasp and think "if only I had this much style" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you, Eva! But I am sooooooo far from the hipster city girl (even though I used to pretend to be one back in the day...oh who am I kidding, I was never hip!). And you are much too kind - I think in reality you would probably gasp and say, "You look so different in real life!!!" LOL.

      Delete
  7. You look fantastic!! And haha about city girls eating salad and wearing black! Glad you got doughnuts instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! Oh you know, I am all about the treats, even though I try to be pretty healthy.

      Delete
  8. You do look very cool! I LOLed about the donut. That shirt is roomy enough for donut eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! And YES, that is one awesome thing about this top -- lots of roominess. And when you pair it with some elastic waist pants: ta-da! Perfect "me" outfit, hahaha!

      Delete
  9. Love this! This style looks so good on you! Perfect for eating donuts with the girls ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marieke! It was a perfect donut-eating outfit! And I managed not to spill any crumbs on myself for once!

      Delete
  10. The top looks lovely, perfect size and shape in my humble opinion. The scarf hack definitely worked! And you know, as an ex-big city girl I will choose a doughnut over salad any day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenya! And I'm so glad to have the approval of a former big city girl!

      Delete
  11. This is a fantastic outfit Emi. I'm so glad you opted against the pink belt, no offence to Mie :)
    You would fit in perfectly in Melbourne in that outfit! I'd be honoured to take you out for coffee and salad and wouldn't mind a bit that you'd make me look shabby and unstylish in comparison 😂
    (Then we'd have cake!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a compliment, Shelley!! Because you know I think of you as really stylish and super cool with all the amazing outfits you make, no joke. I'd love to hang out over a cup of coffee and lunch. And let's not even bother with the salad - we could just go for the cake!

      Delete
  12. This looks great on you! Cool but comfy! Love the sleeves and the shape. Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga! That is the vibe I was going for, phew! Now I am just going to wait on you to design some cool but comfy women's patterns!!! ;)

      Delete
  13. Emi! The top is perfect on you! I love the shape and the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel!! Those are what I love about this pattern, too!

      Delete

 
Images by Freepik