Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Inespiration

If you have been sewing for any length of time, I am sure you will have seen some (if not all) of the beautiful clothes that Ines of La Folie Sewing Booth has made for herself and her daughters. I am so happy today to join a group of friends in showing her just how much we all love her and have been inspired by her -- Inespired!



Isn't this illustration amazing?? It was created by the incredible Toya!!

If there is one word I could use to describe Ines, it would be "incandescent." She radiates beauty and warmth. And her mega-watt smile could light up even the darkest day. So when Sara of Made by Sara (another extremely talented blogger) suggested we get together to show her our love and admiration, I was honored to have been asked. I have been a longtime admirer and fan of her sewing, and though I have not been able to meet her in person (yet!), I have come to know her via Celina of Petit a Petit and Family



When you think of clothes that say "Inestyled," fun, bold prints and stripes probably come to mind. Maybe not so much polka dots, right? Well, I did have to make this a little bit my daughter's taste while still being a tribute to Ines' sense of style, which I think of as casual, sporty and elegant. This outfit is a prime example. It might be my favorite make. And look! She has used polka dots!!



I also wanted to take Ines' bold and adventurous spirit of experimentation when it comes to sewing while staying true to her love of knits (especially Nosh fabrics, but more on the amazing fabric later) and pattern hacking. Especially the pattern hacking part, which is definitely not a strength of mine. But for you, Ines, I tried it!!



Some of you might recognize this pattern. It's the Fringe Dress by Chalk and Notch, and I have made it for myself (you can see one of my versions here). Well, ever since my daughter saw my dress, she has been asking for a "mini Fringe" for herself. In fact, both daughters wanted that dress. I originally had no intention of making one and said they could wear mine when they were older, but then as I was thinking about Ines' style, I thought this was the perfect time to be more adventurous with my sewing. Plus, she loves Chalk and Notch patterns, too - as you can see here, here, here and here.



I chose this pattern over a Japanese pattern (which I had also considered), as I wanted to retain the sporty, easygoing spirit of her clothing choices and stay true to my love of feminine silhouettes -- or maybe I should just admit I wanted to make a pretty dress. Haha! 

Because I have no idea how to draft a pattern and being the lazy person that I am, I did something that is probably considered anathema. I printed a downsized version of the pattern, figuring that my daughter is roughly a smaller version of myself. Shock and horror!!!! I know. The phrase, "Do not try this at home" came to mind. I did actually make a muslin before cutting into my beautiful Nosh fabric, which says a lot. And fortunately it all worked out, mostly because knits are quite forgiving. And partly because I think I just got lucky because I made no adjustments once I'd printed it out. I merely held my breath, crossed my fingers, and hoped it would fit her.



You have heard me sing my praises of Nosh fabrics in the past, and I am still in love with them. I first came across Nosh fabrics when I won some beautiful college denim from a contest on Pienkel, and by following the blogs of the dazzlingly talented Ines and Olu, who also has a tribute to Ines today. Nosh fabrics are beautiful to touch and wear, and so wonderful to sew with. Especially since I still don't have a serger! For the mini Fringe, I used the PYRY jersey in Rose.



As you can see from some of the photos above, I should have raised the neckline, but instead I made a tank top using a Japanese sewing pattern to wear underneath. In hindsight, I should have used one of my favorite tank top patterns (the Twisted Tank by Titchy Threads), but this one will do as a layering piece. I made it from a matching Nosh jersey and ribbing. I had hoped to make this cardigan to layer over the dress in time for this post, but alas... Anyway, my daughter loves her mini Fringe, and has already worn it out and about!



There are many talented bloggers posting about their Inespirations today, so you will not want to miss any of them!! 


As It Seams  |  Made by Sara  |  Pienkel 


*The fabric in this post was sponsored by Nosh, but all opinions are my own. 

29 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Toya! And thank you for your amazing illustration!

      Delete
  2. I love that this series made you challenge yourself....although we will never mention the printing in a smaller scale again, right hahaha. This dress is FANTASTIC and I think Gabriela should seriously consider this exactly pattern in her shop :-)
    Way to go Emi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!! Don't worry - I will never talk about printing like that again (just like I will never mention the "B" word again, ha!!). And I hope Gabriela considers making a mini Fringe, too!! Thank you so much, Mie!

      Delete
  3. Omg!! I love that you scaled the pattern to fit. That was a fearless move Emi, I’m totally impressed, some people wouldn’t be lol! But I love the idea of breaking all the rules. That’s how the magic happens. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally got lucky, Olu! Especially when I realized afterwards (thanks, Gabriela) that I hadn't accounted for the fact that the seam allowances would also be scaled down!! Of course it is no surprise to me that you of all people love the challenge of breaking the rules to see what happens. You've got to dare, right?! Though in my case, I was freaking out thinking that I would get ostracized from the sewing community, hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Emi, you're cracking me up.

      Delete
    3. Heh, heh, Olu! I'm only half-joking. Maybe ;)

      Delete
  4. It really turned out great! Such a fantastic dress! Go, Emi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out! Looks like luck was on my side this time!

      Delete
  5. Comfortable and stylish is a win-win outfit !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Comfort is a key element around here these days - both for my girls and for me!

      Delete
  6. Printing on a smaller scale? Go Emi! Making a muslin is totally something :) The dress turned out super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenya! The good little student in me was all anxious that I was doing something so "wrong" but lucky for me the muslin worked, otherwise there might not have been a second dress! Haha.

      Delete
  7. People! Do this at home! Don't be shy or not courageous enough, just go for it! What a fun idea to shrink the Fringe. This is the best thing I've seen today on Insta... and I've surfed quite a bit ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Bettina!! I'm sorry I am responding so late! And thank you thank you thank you for your support - I always feel stronger with you in my corner ;) And thank you also for your kind words! Maybe I will dare to do something different again sometime...

      Delete
  8. This whole Inespiration party is so sweet of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress, and the way you approached it, is so perfect for Inespiration. It's like Ines was in your head, encouraging you every step of the way. I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! That's a wonderful way to put it as well - and I did actually keep asking myself, "Would Ines do this?" and "Would Ines approve of this?" ;)

      Delete
  10. Sweet Sweet Emi, you have been such a wonderful friend, I'm truly greatful to have you in my life and I can't thank you enough for taking part in this surprise. <3
    This dress is absolute fabulousness and something I would have loved to do myself (pattern scaling included but don't tell Mie ahaha), everything worked out perfect, never doubt that you're an amazing sewist and a creative soul. Big hugs, love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ines!!!! I was so happy and honored to have been part of this Ines Love Fest <3 And I am so glad I have your stamp of approval about the pattern scaling, hahaha. (Yes, let's not tell Mie about it; I've already offended her sensibility before by using the word "bolero" LOL). Thank you for your kind words. You really ARE the best!!

      Delete
  11. You always have the best ideas Emi ! This mini Fringe dress is so cute ! I love it on your daughter !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Soso!! I don't know that I can really take credit for anything in this post, haha. Well, at least not the good stuff ;) I'm happy the dress ended up fitting her, because she loves it so much I might have to make another. Good thing I saved the pattern pieces!

      Delete
  12. I love this so much! I love my Fringe dress and would love to make it for my little sister, but I don't know anything about pattern drafting, so I hope Gabriela will consider making a mini Fringe pattern!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik