Millie Dress Tour - Mix It Make It
The Millie Dress is one that I have been longing to make for quite a while now, so I am thrilled to be joining the international blog tour for Mix It Make It.
The Millie had been on my to-make list for a really long time - so long, in fact, that by the time I'd gotten around to making one, my daughter had nearly grown out of the sizing that was originally offered. Luckily, the pattern has been revamped and is now available in sizes 2Y through 12Y! It comes with illustrations and a brand new tutorial to guide you through the sewing process. Nicky talks about her decision to update the pattern here. It can be made with long or short sleeves, with ruffles or without (though why you would want to leave out the ruffles....) and you can select which size you'd like to print. Yay!
Despite my lack of enthusiasm when it comes to gathering, I love love love ruffles. On just about everything. And I think my daughter shares my appreciation of them because when I asked if she would like a dress with ruffles for school, the answer was a resounding "Yes!" She did have one request, and that was to have a longer bodice. It could be that she has started to outgrow the other dresses I made her last year (what?? Not already!!), but she has complained that the bodice seam bothers her and she wishes it were closer to her belly button or even below it. So I obliged and added a generous 2 inches or so to this one, but decided to keep the skirt long in case she has another growth spurt. Plus I only folded the hem up once, figuring I could always fold it up again if it looked ridiculously long.
Despite adding length to the bodice, I forgot that I ought to lengthen the ruffle as well, but I think it still looks fine, though maybe not as gathered as it would had I followed the instructions. I thought it was very interesting that the shoulder seams are sewn before the bodice is sliced to add the ruffles. It makes things a lot easier - and hack-friendly, in case you don't want to cut straight up and down. I am happy that the tutorial suggests adding interfacing to keep the ruffles in place. I wondered whether I ought to add some to the bodice as well to support the weight of the skirt. Hm. I kept the sleeves as they are, as she can always roll those up if she wants and the current length doesn't seem to bother her.
The other change I made was to add a ribbed neckband, using some lovely gold rib knit from one of my favorite online shops over here, Rick Rack. To do this, I lowered the neckline by 1cm, as recommended, and measured the neckline on the pattern pieces to figure out how long I should cut my neckband piece if I wanted it at 80%. Despite the fact that I have never been good at math, I think it worked out. And my daughter was extremely pleased with the finished dress.
As you can see, it's good for jumping around with in the middle of the street (don't worry; the street was closed to traffic that day).
And of course she had to test it for twirlability. It passed.
Let me just mention the pretty fabric I used, which I purchased from Pink Castle Fabrics. It's from Cotton + Steel's new cotton spandex jersey line of knits, and it's called Dress Shop Arrows, which is a print that I have always loved. I got the colorway Wine, but it comes in a lovely Periwinkle color as well. I have to say that I'm not sure where the wine comes in, as it mostly looks like navy to me, but I am no authority when it comes to wine or even alcohol, as I don't drink at all, heh heh.
I am so happy that I finally got to make this dress, and you can, too! The dress is now available in English HERE. And if you want more inspiration, you can follow the Belgian blog tour, which Nicky introduced on her blog in December last year here. You won't want to miss the rest of the ladies on the international tour either! Happy Sewing!